PDA

View Full Version : Extending my house!!!

maryp0ppins
10-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi all, hubby & myself have been talking about extending our home....I live in a 3 bed house BUT want to extend out onto the drive way at the side to have an extra room for childminding & down stairs toilet, plus upstairs extended out too..

What my worry is...............Would I be able to continue childminding whilst this is going on?????
I know whilst the outside is being sorted I can use front door & have access to kitchen & upstairs...But what about when they need to knock through upstairs/downstairs...how could I continue minding ????

worrying about it already & haven't even started yet :o

rickysmiths
10-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi there. We are just coming to the end of a large extention project. I am in the first of three weeks holiday which is being spent finishing decorating and moving back in. We have done an extention right round the back and side of the house, two stories at the front.

We are lucky and have a huge front garden so we have two 20 x 8 ft tin storeage bins with most of our worldly goods in and | have been working from a 22ft Porta Cabin which has a toilet and a kitchen sink unit, hot water and heating since the end of April.

We have put in shelves for our stuff and mindees stuff, the rest is in one of the tin storeage bins so I can swap stuff around or get it as needed. We have a fold down gate leg dining table and chairs, the childrens low table and chairs, a two seater sofa, a fridge, microwave, a 2 ring hob, slow cooker. Also a TV with a CD/DVD palyer and ipod dock on it. The builders plumbed in my washing machine into the end of the large toilet cubicle and the post hole for the washing line is in the bit of garden outside the Porta Cabin which I couldn't have managed without.

It has meant that I have been able to continue working and although I began talking to my parents about all this a year ago and had predicted I would be asking them to provide packed lunches for the duration I have been able to provide the normal breakfasts, cooked luches and teas.

We have been very lucky with the weather and have spent a lot of time in the garden as always I have used gazebos and umberellas for shade only one day last week did we put a gazebo right up to the door of the Porta Cabin because of the rain, the children still had their lunch outside! (at their request). I have been looking after an 18mth old a 31/2yr and a 41/2yr plus a couple before and after school.

The cost of renting the bins and Cabin have been very reasonable. If you want any deatils please feel free to PM me.

suzyblue
10-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Im just coming to the end of my second building experience. Both times I have managed to keep working although I cant say it hasnt been stressful at times. Usually its the banging waking kids up or kids that hate any noise screaming all day! Ok I went completely grey though my first extension but it did take 18 months. This time it has taken about 4 months and has been fine. All indoor work has been done on Friday (when I only have one child and we can go out for the day) and on the weekend (Polish builders will do this) I have 2 weeks off work coming up and all other indoor stuff (new kitchen in, old one out, decorating, flooring etc) will be done then.

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
10-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Im just coming to the end of my second building experience. Both times I have managed to keep working although I cant say it hasnt been stressful at times. Usually its the banging waking kids up or kids that hate any noise screaming all day! Ok I went completely grey though my first extension but it did take 18 months. This time it has taken about 4 months and has been fine. All indoor work has been done on Friday (when I only have one child and we can go out for the day) and on the weekend (Polish builders will do this) I have 2 weeks off work coming up and all other indoor stuff (new kitchen in, old one out, decorating, flooring etc) will be done then.

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

lol, thanks both for your replies...porter cabin would be great but wouldn't have the room so no chance there.

The builder has been highly recommended & I've seen his work :thumbsup: & he works long weekend hours which would be fab too.

I just fear of getting half way through & cracking under the stress of a bomb shell home :o