PDA

View Full Version : Ironing?

BlondeMoment
10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi Minders!

Was just wondering what you all think of doing a bit of ironing while the kiddies are happy to play? My pile is almost to the ceiling because I work 12 hour days and by the evening I'm fit for nothing. It doesn't get done at the weekends because there's always something going on. Some family BBQ or something (have a big family so always lots going on)

Is this OK? I can baracade myself in the kitchen with a safety gate so they can't fly in and knock anything. Do any of you try and get any housework done?

Lisa x x x

beccas
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
i do do some housework while the lo are playing but i never iron its too dangerous... maybe if all lo are sleeping do a bit but not while they are playing i wouldnt risk it...

sweets
10-08-2010, 07:39 AM
i will do bits of housework while they are playing but i wouldn't iron, i know you said you can do it behind a gate in the kitchen but what if you had to rush through to the children, it would be easy to forget to shut the gate!

i would maybe do it while they are sleeping tho

Carol M
10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
No, never!
Carol xx

Mouse
10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Personally, I don't iron or do housework while the children are here.

I will put washing in the machine & on the line or in the tumble dryer while I'm working, and I will run the hoover round or mop/brush the floor if we've made a mess, but that's it.

I suppose I may consider ironing if the children were asleep, but definitely not if they were playing. Having said that, most of my ironing gets set out to be done anyway :thumbsup:

Pedagog
10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I never iron while minding, my children all do their own at weekends.
I will put washing on, or load dish washer, I even run the hover around if need be, but generally only if its a mess from minding.

tracey36
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
i think ironing while working is a big no no there are to many risks involved i will do a general tidy up maybe hang out washing but thats about it also want to add thats not what parents are paying you for

Chatterbox Childcare
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I do everything but ironing whilst the children are awake but if they go to bed then I will do it.

If you barracade yourself in the kitchen how are your watching the children?

If my MIL comes over to iron I am upstairs and the door is closed or I pay my DD to do some.

hayleychildcare
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I also wouldnt iron while minding.

I also dont hoover as mindee scared of the hoover, i dont mop the floor incase mindees slip. I might quickly sweep but it normally really quickly and never properly:blush:

I work 6 days a week and i spend my sundays doing all housework, ironing, washing, gardening, decorating and sleeping

solly
10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I only do things like washing up, loading the washing machine or hanging it out I would never iron with children around.
I always hated ironing and would end up with so much so I decided enough was enough as I was working 12 hrs days and found i didnt have time to do the ironing so now i have an ironing lady who comes on a thursday morning to pick it up then she brings it all back in the evening on hangers so i just need to put it away.

I also now have a cleaner who comes in on a Thursday whilst I am out with the children and gives the house a thorough clean, I do hoover and clean the kitchen and bathroom daily. They both do such a good job I wouldn't be without either as have now got my evenings and weekends back:)

snufflepuff
10-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I did some ironing once but the children were asleep, i wouldn't do it if they were awake. I will do things like hang the washing out or put washing in the machine. And obviously sweep the kitchen and wipe the surfaces after meals.

sandy64
10-08-2010, 08:05 AM
no definately not evan tho my pile is huge, no its really not worth it sorry:)

watgem
10-08-2010, 08:10 AM
me neither, i only do housework relevant to minding, eg if they've made a mess, because its too risky and parents are paying me to care for their children not do my housework. In fact I rarely iron these days, just fold it carefully as soon as its off the line or out of the dryer.

jelly15
10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Loading the washing machine while mindees sat at kitchen table, hang out washing when they are in the garden and do the dishes as they are used, that is it.

If the Los happen to be asleep at the same time then it is my time to have a break.

Ali56
10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Agree Jelly! if the lo's are sleeping then thats my break time!! I only do washingand drying if it fits in and the dishes as we use them , my kitchen is tiny!! Other than that only whats relevant, If we make a mess then i'll do what it takes to clean it up, I have a dustbuster and the kids love hoovering with that, I have to remember who did it last! lol:laughing: :laughing:

carol cameron
10-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Probably not what you want to hear but I agree with everyone else. Ironing while children are awake is just something that really shouldn't be done. I appreciate that you are working long hours but whilst it is reasonable to do other bits and pieces eg washing up or hoovering up mess made by mindees I really don't believe that ironing should be done during a working day -unless the children are asleep.:)

marzi
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Why not look into sending your ironing out to be done? It's usually quite reasonable depending where you are. Round here it's £5 per 30 items and £5 for collection and delivery. Check on netmums on the local noticeboard there should be someone! I wouldn't do it while working but then again I hate ironing so only do the bits I actually need when I need em lol :blush:

Mookins
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
i dont iron full stop....:D

bit if i did i wouldnt while minding.....i wouldnt with my own dd around id wait till she was at preschool or in bed

xx

wellybelly
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I used to have someone do my ironing - it worked out to about £5 a load, by a load I mean a washing machine full. I used to send everything I hated ironing e.g. shirts, duvets, linen clothes etc. Well worth it.

I'd never iron when childminding

angiemog
10-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm another one saying I wouldn't iron. I do load the washing machine sometimes and hang it on the line. I do hoover and mop kitchen floor occasionally. I am considering getting a cleaner in to help out but I'm in a position to be able to afford it. There is only me and my hubbie so we dont have too much ironing I usually give things a big shake.... and wear it :blush:

Mollymop
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
There's nothing wrong wiht doing abit of housework while the mindees areh ere, a quick wipe around and hoovering up is often necessary to keep the place clean and tidy while I am working.

But ...

I wouldn't ironing while I am minding, there are too many risks as others have said (hate ironing anyway!!) I am lucky to have a few days off a week so I do it them or on a Sunday morn x

BlondeMoment
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep! Some very good points. Just feeling it's all on top of me and taking over the house! Will def look into having someone do it for me. Sounds like a solution if it's not to expensive

Thanks everyone

Pedagog
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
My daughter runs an ironing service.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
me neither, i only do housework relevant to minding, eg if they've made a mess, because its too risky and parents are paying me to care for their children not do my housework. In fact I rarely iron these days, just fold it carefully as soon as its off the line or out of the dryer.

same here.

Bushpig
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I have someone come in to do my ironing. So worth it. If I did my own ironing though I would NEVER do it while working. I do housework that's necessary for the kids while they're here, nothing more.

Tinglesnark
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
:rolleyes: I do so hate ironing! :rolleyes:

i do mine whilst i watch big brother

:laughing:

tbh all my main housework gets done after 6pm anyway because of my own 2 little bods - its jsut too dangerous to iron with them around :thumbsup:

good luck with your ironing help! im thinking of doing this too!

well when im actually earning money of of course! :laughing:

cas2805
10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Another no from me too! I wouldn't iron whilst DS 14mths is awake so wouldn't if other children are here also. I wash up, empty dishwasher, put washing out and get some shopping. I know some CMs don't do shopping, but the fruit and milk is for the mindees and I also get some shopping for mindees Mums as they work all day too! 4 year old mindee loves it and it saves me remembering what we need to get as she has an excellent memory!

Dare4Distance
10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd do shopping and some hoovering and cleaning as needed since most parents like to use childminders because their child is in a home from home setting. I wouldn't do the ironing though, just too many possibilities for something to happen.

The kids have gone home now so am about to iron the 2 huge piles we have in the corner. Funtimes!

scully
10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I love ironing, but I won't do it when my mindees are here. It's to dangerous with the little ones running about x

Bitsy Beans
10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Yep! Some very good points. Just feeling it's all on top of me and taking over the house! Will def look into having someone do it for me. Sounds like a solution if it's not to expensive

Thanks everyone

Can you put the cost down to expenses? A friend of mine has a cleaner and she claims it as a business expense.

I don't iron round my own never mind mindees!!!
I am lucky if I get time to do anything more than load the washing machine and hang it on the line :eek:

TheBTeam
10-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I would also take a good look and review actually what you do iron, is it all really necessary, a lot of tshirts these days can get away without ironing, and my opinion is if it sits in an iron pile for that long then you dont need it anyway!

I iron very little for the reason I cant afford to pay someone and dont have a lot of time to spend ironing, just got my ds shirts for secondary school, bought 6 so only have to iron once a week!

MissTinkerbell
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
My little mindee naps from 9.30 until 11.45 so I tend to do housework and ironing on 3 mornings a week leaving the other 2 for paperwork and stuff. Other ironing gets done on a Saturday morning. Hoovering gets done either before he arrives or after tea as he doesn't like the sound of the hoover. I try and hang washing out before he arrives or as soon as he goes down for his nap - same with stuff in dryer.

Mind you will probably have to alter my routine in Sept when my new one starts although he has a 2 hour nap in the morning so probably not. However if they didn't have these naps I still wouldn't do the ironing but probably would do the other bits and pieces as the house needs to be clean for the mindees.

karensmart4
10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry its a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

Carpet Monkeys
10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't do ironing with mindees around .... I wash, dry,give a good shake, if it needs ironed it gets done that night and put straight away, I never have a full basket - it would drive me crackers!

My mum does her ironing on a Saturday morning catching up with the soaps!

bekki0405
10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
i think ironing while working is a big no no there are to many risks involved i will do a general tidy up maybe hang out washing but thats about it also want to add thats not what parents are paying you for

I agree, a big no no. If anything were to happen, the consequences don't bear thinking about.
Also, in my opinion (humble as it is), my parents are paying for me to look after their children, so I think they would frown upon this, although I'm with those of you that stick the dishwasher on, or put the washing out. Although I normally get this done when the LO's are sleeping or eating lunch (if they're older)

bekki0405
10-08-2010, 05:32 PM
as for getting someone to do it, I have someone who does, and I pay her £5 per hour. I am behind with it now, as we had a guest last week, and the children (I have 4) seem to wear every item of clothing they own last week. I am going to half, and give her the other half.

funemnx
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
A lovely laday comes and collects my ironing ever other friday morning and brings it back on hangers the following Tuesday. It's worth every penny! I pay her based on weight which works out approximately £35.00 a month :)

appleblossom
10-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd say definitely not. Even ironing whilst the children are sleeping used to be frowned on by Ofsted. Reason being that you may forget to unplug/switch off the iron when you finished.

Thinking about it, Ofsted used to have a lot of rules which they never published anywhere. This was one but there were others. When we asked why there was nothing in writing anywhere we were told that things like ironing whilst minding would contravene the standards covering health and safety, and we should know this without having it in writing. There were other rules though, which we couldn't see the point in, no matter how much we scratched our heads about. Long time ago though.

coffee-time
10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
ive always ironed what i need when i need it either the night before or on the morning, ive never liked the idea of standing for hours ironing, i usually spend 10 mins ironing mine and the kids clothes in the morning, (hubby is a wash and wear type of guy)!! lol.
ive only done 2 days of minding so far last week and did do a little bit of housework like washing up and putting the clothes in washing machine i do most of it in the evening!

Gizmo
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I wouldnt iron either when mindees are here sleeping or not, I iron every night when they leave it only takes about 10 mins every night so no washing and no ironing piling up its wonderful :thumbsup:

aly
10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
i dont iron full stop....:D

bit if i did i wouldnt while minding.....i wouldnt with my own dd around id wait till she was at preschool or in bed

xx
me neither :D unless its the kids uniform.
I wouldnt do it either

x

balijay
10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
me neither :D unless its the kids uniform.
I wouldnt do it either

x

Or me! I hate ironing - the only thing that gets ironed round here is the Hama beads :laughing: Seriously though, the only 'housework' related things that are done while working are maybe shoving some things in the dryer or loading the dishwasher and having a quick wipe around as we finish up lunch - far too much playing to be done :)

LittleAcorns
10-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Lisa, I have a solution.....send it all to me! I would love to get my teeth into it with a good movie (or 3) since its now just me and my 2 girls I hardly have any ironing! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: xx

caz3007
11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Lisa, I have a solution.....send it all to me! I would love to get my teeth into it with a good movie (or 3) since its now just me and my 2 girls I hardly have any ironing! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: xx

You might be sorry you offered :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dont mind doing mine, but do wait until I have lots and then work out when there is a good evenings viewing on the tv. I wouldnt iron whilst minding, although do the usual bits, pop washing on, load and unload dishwasher and clear around a bit. I am lucky my kitchen is adjacent to my minding room, so can see in at all times

funfunfun
11-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I clean and do washing .......never ironing though !

SandCastles
11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Agree Jelly! if the lo's are sleeping then thats my break time!! I only do washingand drying if it fits in and the dishes as we use them , my kitchen is tiny!! Other than that only whats relevant, If we make a mess then i'll do what it takes to clean it up, I have a dustbuster and the kids love hoovering with that, I have to remember who did it last! lol:laughing: :laughing:

Totally agree - no ironing for me, would like to get a dust buster that doesn't break after a couple of months and actually picks things up.

BlondeMoment
15-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't you guys that do it all in evenings find that you just don't have the energy to stand there with it all LOL! I don't finish till 8 at night and my feet hurt!

Weekends are mine!

I'm def looking into getting someone in to help :clapping:

BlondeMoment
15-08-2010, 04:13 PM
My daughter runs an ironing service.

You're a bit far away for me tho LOL

But thank you x

Hebs
15-08-2010, 06:08 PM
one of my mums is trying to set up a laundry business think i'll send my ironing to her while i have her kids :laughing:

jelly15
15-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I used to like ironing when my two sons were little, all tiny tee shirts, but now they are tall strapping teens who wear shorts with about ten pockets and are so fussy it has become a nightmare.

pinklady
15-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't iron during working hours and I don't need to as dh took over the ironing when I started minding :D

He's just bought himself a super duper polti iron too. What have I done to my poor man??

BlondeMoment
16-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't iron during working hours and I don't need to as dh took over the ironing when I started minding :D

He's just bought himself a super duper polti iron too. What have I done to my poor man??

LOL!!!:laughing:

Love that idea! Unfortunately my husband isn't terribly good at it and he works a long day too. Could always train him I guess