PDA

View Full Version : Overnight care

snufflepuff
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I had a parent ask about overnight care today. Im not registered for overnight care but i told her i'd look in to getting registered.
As far as i can see i have everything in place that i'd need- smoke alarms, spare room, travel cot, evacuation plan, monitor etc. (I can get my fireman uncle to come round and do a safety check if required, although he has told me that it's not neccessary but he may have just meant for normal daytime minding)
How do i go about registering for overnights? Do i just call ofsted and ask them to change my certificate?
Also, how much do you think is a reasonable fee for overnight care?

Carol M
10-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes, call Ofsted.
I think you will need to fill in form as if you are requesting a variation and can't do overnights till your new certificate comes through.
I registered for overnights ages ago and had to put in writing just how I would do it, things like ensuring safety and easy evacuation,food/drink, monitoring whilst asleep etc.
I charge a min of £40 depending on age of child.
Carol xx

ladybug
10-08-2010, 08:06 AM
hi ya, think you will find its all changed now, my sister (also a cm) wanted overnight care and approached ofsted just a few weeks after her inspection, they told her they would have to come out and inspect premises if she required this! although when I added it a year ago it was just a phonecall!
think it depends who picks up the phone to u!

Mookins
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
im registered for overnight care or will be once my certificate gets here

im planningon charging £42 7pm-7am

am only registered for one though as they would be going in my dd room

xx

retha
10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm registered for overnight care, did it right from the start with my Ofsted registration to keep my options open for whenever a parent may need overnight care. I charge £40 per night from 7pm to 7am and additional £2 for dinner if required.

Just give Ofsted a call to add it to your registration. You will need to complete a form and they may or may not want to come over for an inspection (basically a risk assessment & checking you have everything in place for overnight).
Have a look at the Statutory Framework for EYFS booklet - there are some sections that talks about guidelines for overnight care.

Think about things like:
- Fire Safety - smoke alarm, fire evacuation plan, etc.
- Will child be close by and within hearing distance (maybe using a monitor)?
- Temperature control in the room (especially with babies).
- Suitable bed or cot for child to use
- Each child should have their own clean bedding and bath towel.
- How will you ensure the child's privacy, for example when dressing or having a bath?

These are some of the things Ofsted & local Childcare Dev Team told me regarding overnight care.

I also wrote my own Overnight care Policy and Risk Assessment.

When I had my graded inspection the Ofsted lady did not even look at the room where I would be providing overnight care and did not ask much about it.

Hope it all works out well for you.
:)