PDA

View Full Version : Variation advice please

beckyteddy
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi all, just wondering if any of you have recently applied to Ofsted for a variation on your permitted numbers?

I called them today to ask about obtaining a variation so I can care for 2 under 1's, just for 2 days in Sept. after which the eldest will then have her
1st birthday putting me back within my permitted numbers. The lady I spoke to on the phone said I should fill in the variation form from the Ofsted web-site and then do a "Risk Assesment" and an "Action-Plan" to explain how I would manage to care for the two children whilst they are both under 1.

I think I can manage to do this, but I just wondered if anyone had recently done the same thing and if so, what kind of thing you wrote?

Any help will be (as always) very welcome from you lovely helpful people!

beckyteddy
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Any-body? I am getting a bit stuck now!

sarah707
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I've never applied for one so I don't want to give you the wrong advice.

Have you done a forum search? Something useful might come up.

I would imagine the RA shows how you manage the risks presented by children of different ages and the action plan gives an outline of your routine and how you have enough car seats, buggies, high chairs etc to accommodate everyone.

Hope this helps! :D

TammyN
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
i have requested this in the past, 2 under 1 is often agree'd as long as you can tell how you will transport, rest, feed and plan for them. if you have them both now then you can say u plan for them anyway xx amount of day and know where they are at and what they need. u could say i have a double pram, relevent car seats, high chairs, etc to accomodate.

hope this helps, good luck xx

maryp0ppins
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll be watching your post beckyteddy as I too need to ask for a variation as I have a contract signed ready for november (lo will be 8 months)

But I also mind a 3.5yr old & his baby brother will be starting...in October & he will will be 7months( he was supossed to be starting Feb next year but Mum has had a job offer she cannot refuse!!):eek: :eek: :eek:

AliceK
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
i have requested this in the past, 2 under 1 is often agree'd as long as you can tell how you will transport, rest, feed and plan for them. if you have them both now then you can say u plan for them anyway xx amount of day and know where they are at and what they need. u could say i have a double pram, relevent car seats, high chairs, etc to accomodate.

hope this helps, good luck xx

Hi
This is the kind of information I put down when I applied for a variation for 1 day a week. They want to see that you have all the neccs equipment and that you will be able to get out and about safely etc. Think about sleeping, feeding, pushchair, car seats etc etc.

Good Luck. I think they are taking approx 4 wks at the mo. I chased mine after 3wks and they granted it over the phone after giving me a bit of a grilling.

xxxxxx

beckyteddy
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I thought that was the kind of thing they wanted. :)

I've mentioned keeping them safe on the school-run, when they are eating, if I have to go to the loo(!)and when they are sleeping. I have also just thought of risks to do with cross-contamination ie. cups, bottles, toys etc. so I'll probably say that I'll label their cups and keep their food seperate.

It's silly really because it's the stuff we do daily anyway!

Twinklestars
10-08-2010, 06:18 AM
I'll be watching your post beckyteddy as I too need to ask for a variation as I have a contract signed ready for november (lo will be 8 months)

But I also mind a 3.5yr old & his baby brother will be starting...in October & he will will be 7months( he was supossed to be starting Feb next year but Mum has had a job offer she cannot refuse!!):eek: :eek: :eek:
Think i would go for sibling variation for this i may be wrong but just make them aware contracts were already agreed with nov start and now mum is going back earlier than expected so you now need to care for sibling too. I had a variation for 2 under 1's, my ds and a 7 month old just tell them you have all equipment etc

Shar
10-08-2010, 07:26 AM
I have just applied for a variation for 2 under 1's (for a total of 6 weeks) until one of them turns 1. Ofsted sent me a long form to fill in via e-mail. The form came with guidance notes which explain what they want to know. The new mindee is a sibling so they said it should be no problem, still waiting for reply. :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
10-08-2010, 08:06 AM
This is what I wrote:

Further to my recent correspondence with Helen Pinkstone in the Inspection Support Team, I am writing to request in a change to my certificate to allow me to child mind two children under the age of one. The reason for this is due to children that I have had since they were 5 months have now reached school age and in September will be leaving me.

I have one child who will be starting with me in September or October and she will be 9 or 10 months old. I have also been asked whether I would have space by two other people to start in September; one is 3 days a week and he will be 5 months old then and the other is 5 days a week, 9.00am – 2.30pm, Monday to Friday but term time only and he will be 9 months old (this baby is from a family that I was childminding for up until 24th December 2003 when mum went on maternity leave).

I believe that I have sufficient experience to child mind two children under the age of one as I have done this twice in the past. Once in 1996 when I had my own child plus another who was 6 weeks younger, they complimented each other. I found that I was able to give my time and attention to both of them equally and they have grown up to be best friends.

I have an abundance of toys for both sexes and although I do not have two of everything, there is plenty for two children to play with and through this they will learn to share. I do have two highchairs, pushchairs, cots, walkers etc. and have access to local Equipment Loan Schemes should I require anything else.

My house is spacious and will easily accommodate a lot of children. Babies would be able to roll/crawl around with ease even when after school children were about. In the summer there is plenty of room outside.

If you have any questions that I can answer by phone, please do not hesitate to contact me on

This was in 2004 and things have changed but it is a good start. I would email it over.

sandy64
10-08-2010, 08:46 AM
hi i filled one in on line last mon for 1 day a week, all the info you need is on form but make sure you say exactly how you will get from a to b, safely what youre plan for day is, how they will all be cared for equally, ra, it usually takes 3-4weeks, plus if you need to buy any other other prams,highchairs, equipment etc. i have had 2 variations before and filled them in like this but each time maybe different and theres always that chance you may not get it so give as much info as po good luck:)

beckyteddy
10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Bit cross with the Ofsted lady I spoke to yesterday though, she told me to search on the website for a variation on numbers form and then fill it out , adding a section on Risk Assesments and an Action Plan. I spent a good few hour last night doing this and e-mailed it this morn. Then....the reply from Ofsted received this afternoon has another form attatched (worded differently so I couldn't just copy and paste!) which I should have filled in in the first place. Thanks Ofsted for making me do the same job twice!

TammyN
11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Bit cross with the Ofsted lady I spoke to yesterday though, she told me to search on the website for a variation on numbers form and then fill it out , adding a section on Risk Assesments and an Action Plan. I spent a good few hour last night doing this and e-mailed it this morn. Then....the reply from Ofsted received this afternoon has another form attatched (worded differently so I couldn't just copy and paste!) which I should have filled in in the first place. Thanks Ofsted for making me do the same job twice!

this happened to me, i wrote a huge piece on my variation request detailing all the info they would need for them to then email me a new form :panic: i did get the variation after chasing it up!!
good luck xx

MissTinkerbell
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I just wrote a letter very much on similar lines to Debbie - didn't fill in any forms and wasn't asked to do it again and received my new certificate through post last week.

beckyteddy
28-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to up-date you on how my variation application has gone in case anyone searches through for advice in the future:

1. I have now received a new certificate from Ofsted which states I can care for no more than 2 children who are under the age of 1 at any one time.

2. The new certificate came within 3 weeks of my application.

3. I double checked with Ofsted whether this was a temporary certificate (as I only needed to extend my numbers for 2 days) but they said that the variation is not restricted to certain children or particular dates...so if I am ever in the same situation again I won't need to re-apply for a variation as I already have the certificate.

Thanks for all your helpfull advice guys x

maryp0ppins
28-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to up-date you on how my variation application has gone in case anyone searches through for advice in the future:

1. I have now received a new certificate from Ofsted which states I can care for no more than 2 children who are under the age of 1 at any one time.

2. The new certificate came within 3 weeks of my application.

3. I double checked with Ofsted whether this was a temporary certificate (as I only needed to extend my numbers for 2 days) but they said that the variation is not restricted to certain children or particular dates...so if I am ever in the same situation again I won't need to re-apply for a variation as I already have the certificate.

Thanks for all your helpfull advice guys x

wow this is great news for you :thumbsup: ...I hope my request comes through nice & smooth..I sent mine 2 weeks ago now so fingers & toes crossed :D