PDA

View Full Version : Would you use second hand toys for minding?

Donkey
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
The big stuff is so expensive, I have my eye on a little tikes climbing frame suitable for under 2's (the one I have made, see other thread by me, is too big for smallies) but its not brand new. So long as there is no obvious damage and we scrub it down before we let the mindees loose (someone on a different forum told me about anti-bac stuff suitable for toys that gets rid of bugs, will hunt down the name for it)

what do you do/would do?

ajs
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
most definately yes whyever not

i buy quite a lot of my garden toys from car boot sales either for my own or mindees

go for it joy xxx

littletreasures
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
A lot of my toys could be classed as second hand as they were my own children's. They won't let me use their prized possessions though, playmobil and star wars. These have gone up into the loft for their kids!!

My outdoor toys and big toys are all second hand. I have a little tikes cottage and country kitchen. These were bought from someone from Netmums. If you scrub them down or disinfect the smaller items, I think it is more than fine to have second hand stuff.

Good luck
littletreasures

crazybones
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes I have lots of second hand toys. I go to the charity shops every week. As long as it is safe and clean I dont think there is a problem. Little Tykes stuff is fairly indestructable, so as long as you have checked it and cleaned it I cant see a problem. I can come round and do a jump up and down for you. :D

Alibali
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, I frequent the charity shops. As long as you safety check stuff it should be fine. Only thing I wouldn't get second hand are car seats.

Ali :)

Mollymop
02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I mainly buy second hand toys. I am in charity shops at least once a week and I get so many bargins. My fave shop sells toys for 25p. I got a baby leappad and a thimbles electronic toy and lots all for about £1.50

I also bought a slide from ebay for £3.50. as long as they are ok condition, i suppose it is absolutley fine X

Donkey
02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
excellent! the pink and purple little tikes climbing frame is mine!!!

don't anyone else go bidding on it, pleeeeeeease!! :panic:

sarah32
02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I buy second hand toys all the time, as long as they are not broken.

sarah707
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
i get lots from charity shops... as soon as children are bored with a toy, I take it in and get something they will enjoy...

It's like a revolving door... sure I re-buy things sometimes as well?!? :laughing:

ajs
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
i get lots from charity shops... as soon as children are bored with a toy, I take it in and get something they will enjoy...

It's like a revolving door... sure I re-buy things sometimes as well?!? :laughing:

i was looking in a charity shop window at some glow in the dark stars and thought oooh look at them they look fun when i remembered i had donated them the week before in a marathon clear out

sarahcoutts21
02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
yes i buy 2nd hand toys all the time the only thing new for outside was the trampoline i recently got a little tikes climbing frame for nothing from my next door neighbour (their grandson does not play it anymore) and im planning getting a 6x4 shed to make a house for the children of any age hence the reason for a shed (ages and size) so will be looking for toy kitchen i have one inside but i will leave it in!

2nd hand toys are fanb as long as they safe and clean your all the way

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
excellent! the pink and purple little tikes climbing frame is mine!!!

don't anyone else go bidding on it, pleeeeeeease!! :panic:

I buy mostly second hand toys, charity shops, jumble sales and car boot sales.
Be carefull on ebay, I just bought a Little Tykes climbing frame with double slide from Gumtree for £30 and saw the exact same thing go on ebay one for £67 and one for £97 :eek:

John
02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes i use second hand toys go to charity shop alot for a bargin or two, a good way to get Inexpensive toys and it’s good way of recycling and giving to a charity.

John.

Going on about second hand goods, im buying a play station from my nephew and was woundering about how to get a receipt from him. The only way i thought of was to do one myself with the details and ask him to sign it.

Donkey
03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
i'd say that was a good plan john. although im not so sure about buying from family. speak to your tax office :)

I will be getting the playstation 1 out of the loft. as I have quite a lot of child games. winnie the pooh and harry potter.

I do not think df will be impressed if I let mindees loose with his xbox 360 :panic:

manjay
03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
It's not fair!! My local charity shop smells so i can't go in it.

I do get lots on ebay, car boots or donated and as long as they are not damaged I don't see a problem

amanda xx

mrsbumbles
03-04-2008, 08:15 AM
I am a car boot aholic!!! I have a playroom jam packed with good quality, hardly played with toys, which i have picked up really cheaply.

When i buy them cheaply, i dont mind so much when they are accidently broken.

I come home every Sunday from a boot Sale with something different for the children to play with. Its great!!!!

LittleMissSparkles
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
if a toy is in good condition and clean and safe I dont see the harm in having used toys xxxx I like the charity shops but more so for books im not a huge car boot person only cause i like to slouch aroung on a sunday morning but you can get some really good bargains at car boots too xxx

ruby
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
yes we have second hand toys mostly from the parents of children we have had over the years they all ask before the throw them out or take to car boot sale.

we don't drive so we rarely to charity shops and would have to carry it back on the train .

cathy

Michelle M
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I buy second hand toys from Charity Shops, other childmiders, e-bay, my childrens old toys, as long as they are in good condition I dont see why it should matter.

ma7ie
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I've had some really good stuff from car boot sales and charity shops. Got a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe for £3 last year and they're selling brand new for £40.:)

devoncm
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
yes definately , brand new is so expensive. most of my toys are second hand from friends charity shops or car boot. i actually went to a carboot today to see if i can find a highchair and a double pushchair-they didnt have one but i did come away with a shape sorter for 50p and a bunk bed for £20 just didnt have matresses-thought that was a great bargain-well i usually come back with stuff i intend on getting.

louise
03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I do. My mum works in a charity shop so i get some really good stuff. My son has the sportcus dress up outfot coming tom. I also get games which have missing pieces for free as they get thrown out i just email the company and ask for the part. I also get things that have names ect on as they can't sell those either. Yet to get a big item. Love the idea of a shed to have as a house.

Trouble
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
i wish i had the bottle to buy some of ebay

my mate buys all hers off ebay i pay full price she pays pittence!!!!!!!

my fault i know

i dont trust people sorry:panic:

miffy
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I do the rounds of charity shops jumble sales and ebay for toys

I'm also really lucky as some of my parents donate things that their children have outgrown

miffy xx

Rubybubbles
05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I do the rounds of charity shops jumble sales and ebay for toys

I'm also really lucky as some of my parents donate things that their children have outgrown

miffy xx

same here, I get loads from people when they have a clean out when they move area:clapping:

Pipsqueak
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I use second hand toys and equipment - depends what it is though and the condition obviously. Common sense comes into play! Blimey some of the toys in my house have been handed down through my nephews (massive boxes of lego that each person have added to), - making them third and fourth hand.

Carboots, charity shops, jumble sales...... I am in my element

childminder54
04-07-2008, 03:06 PM
yes i buy a lot from ebay even better when you can collect as some times postage can be expensive if big..
veronica

wendywu
04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I am getting to the stage when i am refusing to buy any big item new. My lot break everything, nothing lasts longer than a few months. Some of my diversity toys they do not play with unsupervised. It really winds me up they seem to have no respect. Thank goodness for jumbles and ebay.

butterfly
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
i went to a car boot on Sunday and got a large bag of mega blocks for £2 and a tub of lego for older kids for a £1. the whole lot got washed and then sterilised and the kids love it!! most of my stuff comes from ebay although i really need to cut down!!

Heaven Scent
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes as others have said I buy them where ever I can get a bargain and if donated then all the better. I don't buy things that are not washable and wipable with disinfectant though and it has to be in very good condition.

wellybelly
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
yes i would and I do. I must say most of the 2nd hand stuff I use, I know where it comes from eg neighbours. But I have also been and bought toys from Charity Shops. I got a Josie Jump Plush Doll for £1, a bargain to add to my multicultural collection of toys. I think as long as we check toys and clean them before use, theres no harm in it. I would'nt buy tat though.

mrsb
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Definately yes :D most of my stuff comes from ebay, carboots or charity shops lol.

The only things that I will definately not buy 2nd hand is soft toys for babies or teething toys etc :)