PDA

View Full Version : Is it me?

VINASOL
09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
met a fellow CM today, and she's just taken on a little one 4 days a week (she's completely full), a CM (whose been registered for a coupel of years but hasn't actually started) has also just taken on 2 kids starting in September, and another CM locally has just taken on a baby as well.

So, my question is - I wonder why none of these parents have contacted me? It's so frustrating. Am not sure what i'm doing wrong, if anything

Trouble
09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
do they all go to the same playgroup where they find kids?:idea:

VINASOL
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm really not sure, but I'm going to have to go to the childminder groups etc; all the playgroups round here are shut for summer hols...not sure how they come across them

oneofeach
09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Lots of my work comes from word of mouth, ie school, toddler group ect.

I know how you feel tho, I see a couple of cm at school (who I wouldnt let look after my dog) turning up with new mindees and I havent had a phone call in weeks.

Stay possitive

Pipsqueak
09-08-2010, 02:27 PM
So much of it is word of mouth - if one minder can't do a job they will pass on their friends numbers. So its always worth getting friendly with your local colleagues.
I won't pass on someones (colleagues) number unless I am comfortable with them and they are someone I would be happy leaving my own children with, so although I know nearly all the minders where I live there is only a handful I would 'recommend'.

Stillgoingstrong
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
TBH there are NO childminders in my area that I would want to befriend even for work, apart from 2 who I met on a course earlier this year who seem a bit more normal. Most cms in my area seem to think they are better than everyone else as most of them are doing NVQ9million or going to Uni - that's great and good for them, but I want to be a childminder, not use it as a stepping stone for a future career in something else, and after trying unsuccessfully for a very short while to get into their "clique" I don't bother now. The local cm group closed due to lack of numbers and no-one even bothered to let me know - I turned up and all locked up. Found out via internet. So, I get my children from childcare.co.uk or from current mindees parents passing my info on to their friends etc. I am full again as of September.:clapping:

Trouble
09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
my local cm are called the witches says everything does it but they are always full cause they walk the streets all day with the kids in tow:angry:

cas2805
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Are you on Netmums, I have had a few enquiries from there? Also I advertise at my local Children's centre, they have a folder with our information in

Good luck

Trouble
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
what about childcare.co advert is on the top of this page i have had enquiries from there:D

VINASOL
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, I've advertised through netmums and had just one initial enquiry, but didn't come back for further information.

I've registered through childcare.co.uk.
My local school does not allow any kind of promotion or even providing a list of available childminders so no help there.
My local children's/sure start centre also does not provide a list of childminders either (have to do it through CFIS).
Am STILL waiting for CFIS to send me forms (they completely sent it to wrong address/postcode).
Have leafleted about 100 homes (doing more this week).
Have put up leaflets in local shops/leisure centres.
Am going to advertise in my local free newsletter for my area
Have a leaflet displayed in a very well known shop in their staff room.
A fellow childminder has recommended me, but yet no calls....

I'm sure the right family will come along, but it's oohhh so long in waiting....x