PDA

View Full Version : cutting hours from full time to 2 days

Alibali
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if you have all been through this and what you did. Parents came in today and told me that the LO I have been minding full time for 2 years will be cutting down to 2 days. They have been very kind and appreciate that this will be quite a drop in fees for me and have asked if I will still look after him or if I need another full timer. I've only ever had full timers and am worried that I won't be able to fill other 3 days. Any comments appreciated.

Ali :)

berkschick
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I was worried about this when I first started.

I now have 9 part timers on my books!

G does 27 hours, M 19, I 13, E 10.5, J 7.5, Twins 8, C 5.5 and J 6 (phew!)

It is working fine.

And I am safe in the knowledge that if one leaves, its not a total disaster money wise for me.

Also no two days are the same as I never have the same mix of kids!

littletreasures
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I have one full timer at the moment and 2 part timers. They are 3 days and 1 1/2 days. I have also had enquiries for 4 days a week and 3 days although I couldn't help them out.

I think it is possible to get part timers to suit your setting. Start advertising now wherever you can. I was lucky the enquiries I got were teachers going back after having the babies and deciding they don't want to do full time.

Good luck

littletreasures

mum2two
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I find it always works itself out.

I have J 4 days a week, not Thurs, and H 4 morns a week, not Fri. Never thought I'd fill them. Then I had a lady come to see me, & I have K all day Thurs & Fri, and one pm.

At the end of the day, you have to decide what works for you, and what you can afford. The rest will work itself out!

Hopefully you'll get an enquiry to put your mind at rest & make the decision for you!

Kelly x

sarah707
02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I have 7 part timers... and like Debbie says it's great not having all my eggs in one basket... I find they fit around each other really well and I love having a mix of children on different days. :D

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I only have one full timer. It's surprising how it all slots in together nicely.
I have C three days a week and have always been able to fill the other two.
I'd just say give it a go and if you can't fill the other days or you get a full time enquiry take it from there.

Tatia
03-04-2008, 07:18 AM
I agree with Debbie and Sarah. I've got no full-time children about 12 part-timers coming and going. Works out really well and I don't have to dread the loss of one or even 2.

miffy
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I only have part-timers and always have it's never been a problem

Good luck I'm sure you'll fill the other places soon

miffy xx

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I have a few full timers and the rest are part times - I have always managed to fit them in and you can still make a good income from it

Hope you fill your days soon

Angel xx

Michelle M
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I have gone from having 5 children down to one part timer, afternoons only and I am worrying about filling the other days, on the up side I keep thinking well I had 2 others before they left or are leaving that were 3 days and 2 days, so I am trying the stay positive.

Chimps Childminding
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't have a problem with part-timers although I prefer to do full days, because it is almost impossible to fill half days for example if someone only needs a morning its difficult fo fill the afternoon. None of my children are full time - its almost impossible to get full timers round here now - I have six on my books and they all only come 2/3 days per week! but it works quite well! :thumbsup:

susi513
03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I've never had a full-timer! But I have been full with p/t contracts - all full days but different days. If they want less than a full day then I charge a high hourly rate for p/t work but a more reasonable rate if they commit to booking by the day. Because whenever I've taken on 1/2 days I've never been able to fill the rest of the day.

I'm happy with p/t contracts not only do you not have so much of a drop in income when one leaves but it makes for a varied working week! Also you can repeat activities/menus in the same week if you have different mindees on different days. Although you do have to buy more daily diaries, print out more newsletters, invoices etc!

donnagwynne
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I have part-timers and you have to be really lucky to get all of your days filled. Plus it can get a bit complicated and you sometimes need to offer activities twice to make sure all the children have benefitted from it. And a lot of paperwork too, with folders for each of the children etc.

I would definately prefer full-timers and when mine all go to school in september I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a couple then!!

Donna

emler
03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I have 5 part-timers and it works out really well for me :D

Emler x

Alibali
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all your replies, however the saga continues! One of my other full timers mum told me this morning that she is 14 weeks pregnant but hasn't thought through the childcare issue yet!! I said oh well M (Mindee)is going down to 2 days so if I get a baby for the other 3 then D (Her DS)will get used to a baby and she said Oh please don't rush into filling your space!

Now she'll not need space for baby till January at earliest and with her 1st son I kept a space with no fee for 4 months(just starting out and a bit naive) and I think she is expecting me to do the same again. But this time I will actually be dropping my income and can't take a retainer fee as baby not her. HELP what can I do?