PDA

View Full Version : Mum as Assistant

Bambini
09-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to take my Mum on as a registered assistant for 2 days a week from next month. Ofsted have confirmed that she can start work whilst waiting for her crb as long as she is not left unsupervised.

Just wondering - is it better for her to be self employed or better for me to pay her wages (inc tax and NI)? Would I have to pay her the national minimum wage legally or just the hourly rate for the child/children she looks after?

So many questions I cant remember them all!

xxx

TammyN
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
i was wodering about this too, no advice but will follow to see if answers are confirmed :-)

Stillgoingstrong
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
:D You will have to employ her if she works over I think it's 15 hours. My daughter is my assistant and at first only did one day a week when it was her day off from her job, and then I just paid her for her time - a share of what I was paid for that day. Now full time I pay her tax and NI and a wage. Don't think we do have to pay minimum wage as tbh we certainly don't always get it ourselves - for example if we only had one child and charged £3.50-£4 ph then we wouldn't be on mimimum wage would we?

Pedagog
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
:D You will have to employ her if she works over I think it's 15 hours. My daughter is my assistant and at first only did one day a week when it was her day off from her job, and then I just paid her for her time - a share of what I was paid for that day. Now full time I pay her tax and NI and a wage. Don't think we do have to pay minimum wage as tbh we certainly don't always get it ourselves - for example if we only had one child and charged £3.50-£4 ph then we wouldn't be on mimimum wage would we?

Sorry to say, but yes we have to pay minimum wage, there was an article in the last NCMA magazine

Stillgoingstrong
09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry to say, but yes we have to pay minimum wage, there was an article in the last NCMA magazine

OMG :eek: Don't tell my daughter:panic: Well, she lives here for free so fair do's ay?:thumbsup:

karensmart4
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Yep its a definate minimum wage, I looked into it. That's why I work with another reg cm and we have a s/e assistant who covers on a Monday and for sickness and holidays.. and she's good at stepping in when you have dentist etc bless her :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM

If you are employing your daughter you have to pay minimum wage - it is a legal requirement and if you don't you are breaking the law and subject to prosecution

You are self employed and she is not

Sorry

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
OMG :eek: Don't tell my daughter:panic: Well, she lives here for free so fair do's ay?:thumbsup:

If you are counting food and lodgings into the equation then it needs to be taxed and NI paid. I would make her self employed.

love381
11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
I "employ" my husband as my assistant, but he works as a volunteer so I don't have to pay him anything at all!!!! It works out better for us with the tax and NI at present, but not sure if it'll always be that way. A friend of mine has her sister-in-law work as a volunteer for her and instead of paying her she pays for her shopping sometimes to cover it. x