PDA

View Full Version : Minding + Chickens

Helen Dempster
08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I know a few of you out there have chickens, and just wondered if you could give me a few tips/advice, as I'm seriously thinking of getting a couple. Been thinking about it for a while now, and got talking to a lady in the supermarket (complete stranger) :blush: who has some rescued battery hens and she said they're brilliant. She said you pay about £4 per chicken. I've looked on ebay for a coop/run and there are some really decent ones on there, so it's all affordable.

Do you recommend it, or advise against it?

Thanks guys n gals!

Roseolivia
09-08-2010, 06:13 AM
We have 4 chucks (was 5 but our dog got one whilst we were on holiday) and the kids love them. We get 4 eggs everyday and they're delicious (even give them to my mindees to take home as too many for us to eat). My partner built our chuck house in the paddock, the food is cheap and lasts ages, you just need to clean them out and make sure they have fresh water. The kids love coming in from school and collecting the egggs. We also have 2 horses which the children don't ride as i'm pregnant and they're too strong for me as well as me being nervous of them but they like stroking them over the fence.

nelly
09-08-2010, 06:35 AM
yes get some their fab,weve got 5 ex bats n their so lovely. make sure they have a big fenced of area to run about in because they really do poo alot. also they need worming every month
good luck xxxx

Hebs
09-08-2010, 06:42 AM
check with your local council as some councils dont allow them x

little chickee
09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Totally recommend having hens. We have a considerable number of hens and ducks and although because we have so many they take a bit of time to look after i wouldnt be without them.

we have us in enclosures outwith the garden as they can be quit messy esp ducks. we get plenty of eggs ( i sell the surplus) and my kids and mindees love to help look after them. I beleive its good for kids to be involved with looking after animals.

We also incubate and hatch out ducklings every year (sell them on) and kids particularly love the babies.

Nothing beats having a freshly laid ( still warm!!) egg for brekfast.

I can go on and on about my hens and ducks so feel free to pm me if you want any advise:thumbsup:

aly
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
i'm doing them from eggs {like hebs did last year/this year when was that lol}
and letting them grow and keeping them {unless they are cocks}

I did phone council to check restrictions and there isnt any, i did tell them i wouldnt be havign cocks due to boise and he said good idea.

I then phoned cssiw to check and all fine with them just need to fill in a change form when I get them.

I cant wait, just money stopping me at the mo getting a coop and incubator....but si thinks he might be building one instead.

although I do like this one from wilkinsons/pets at home
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Chicken-Coops+Multi-Purpose-Animal-Housing/Chicken-House-RS-709S/invt/rs00003?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqo ICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs7 6aYYKg%3D%3D

Trouble
09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
my friend has chickens and we watched her chicks hatch and grow up perfect learning:thumbsup: at its best and there funny to watch:D

Helen Dempster
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
See, I knew I could count on you lovely people :thumbsup: :clapping: Well, there are no negative comments at all there, so I think my mind is made up, thank you! I will let you know when I get them (got to save up for the coop etc first). Thanks gang :) :) :)

Hebs
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
It was this year and we are doing it again in October

Tempted to keep them this time

aly
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
thanks...i dont know my butt from my elbow at the mo :laughing:...lol

aly
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
hebs,

i know you probably claimed on expenses for the mindees etc, I am initially doing this for the same but also keeping for me....is this something I could claim or not?

ourmadhouse
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Iv thought about getting chickens too but do they dig your garden grass and plants up?
and how much room do you really need to let them be happy.

I was thinking of only having two (well to start off with) to see how we get on, would this be wise?

balijay
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Another yes from me - I have 8 and they are fab. Ourmadhouse yes they will most definately dig up your garden so you may want to fence off some just for them (and to contain the poo too). I am lucky in that I keep mine on my allotment - if I had a really small garden I may think twice...

singlewiththree
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
See, I knew I could count on you lovely people :thumbsup: :clapping: Well, there are no negative comments at all there, so I think my mind is made up, thank you! I will let you know when I get them (got to save up for the coop etc first). Thanks gang :) :) :)

Did you get any in the end Helen? I'm thinking of getting some.

emmadines
01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh you will love them, they potter around and the kids love them... I have 10, recently introduced 3 ex battery girls into my flock.

have you heard of a web site called omlet?? they sell hen houses, ok they are not cheep but these also come with runs and are made of plastic, allowing easy clean (I just jet wash mine) the lack of wood also reduces the chances of mite or louse problems that birds can sometimes have - Ive had mine for almost 6 years and haven't had any....

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/edines33/chicken%20related/?action=view&current=jumpcockyjump1.mp4

this is their new run (all be it alot greener now as the mile a min has grown back)
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/edines33/?action=view&current=compleatchockrun.mp4

and hers the omlet web site
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/edines33/?action=view&current=compleatchockrun.mp4

hope these helps

Emma
x

Dragonfly
01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I have chickens too, fenced off:thumbsup: or in a run dont think Ofsted would approve of children and chicken poo together

Helen Dempster
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Did you get any in the end Helen? I'm thinking of getting some.

I most certainly did :) We got 3 (were originally going to only get 2) but someone recommended 3, just in case 1 of them didn't make it (being ex battery hens and in quite a poorly way), but all 3 of them are thriving, a couple are a bit bald in places, but they're great - soooo glad we got them. They certainly like to dig though!!!!! :laughing: They're names are Phoebe, Rachael and Monica (from Friends) :D

Roseolivia
01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Make sure you clip their wings if their pen fence isn't high as they will jump out.

Blackhorse
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
we have 6 chickens by now
4 hens in the garden and 2 babies still in the house

always get at least 3 incase something happens to 1 of them.

our farmer advised us that we did not have to worm them every month.
they were wormed as babies and then once when they moved to us as every soil has different types of soil

we let our chickens free range (me and my neighbour have them in both gardens...but we fenced off the outer fence so they couldnt get to any other neighbours.
if there is a small whole they will find it.

they do not need their wings clipped. ours don't and we don't have a problem.
you can keep the wings unclipped and if it becomes a problem you can still get them clipped after.
it depends what breed of chicken you have as to how well they can fly or get over fences.
our 2 speckeldy hens can get over a fence no bother.
our 2 red calder rangers can't make it over the fence at all...wings unclipped.

they do poo a lot but it depends how big a space they have how much you will notice it. if you leave them in a small run you need to watch especially in the summer as they mess it up and it can become smelly quickly.

food isnt expensive and I found they pay their way with eggs anyways. I also sell the surplus.

children absolutely love them.
they do make a mess in the garden, but again it depends how it is layed out.

they only go after small plants that are not established yet..they ignore bigger plants...so if you grow from seed you might have a problem.

they have improved our grass a lot by raking through it and weeding it out.
we also have no more slugs
in a small area they will completely ruin the grass though...again because they have so much space here they can never actually damage one area a lot as they roam around so much.

they love getting fed scraps like pasta and cooked veg and are very entertaining and sociable.