View Full Version : I dont know what to do!!!

08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
My notice was handed in (as i work at a school) last week... so i will cease to be employed from September.

I have two girls of my own aged 3yr and 11 months. So I have just one vacancy for an under 5. Im ideally looking at only taking one child - two at a maximum, and possibly even just part time.

Ive been advertising like mad for the last few weeks, and have had nothing at all. Then out of the blue a lady contacted me through childcare.co.uk. She is wanting care for her 4 mth old son - one or two days a week but from 7am to 7pm!!!!

I said that wouldnt be a problem (as then i would only need to work the two days) and she was very very keen to secure me (as she didnt think she would get a childminder to cover these hours), but then she dropped the bombshell that it isnt until January.

I dont know what to write back.... I can not afford to hold this place open until then... should I just say that if I have a space open in december I will contact her??

Thanks Donna

08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
take a retainer.

08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
How do I do this? Do I just say to her that I will hold the place open if she pays XX a month.... does that make me sound greedy?? I dont want to put her off incase I still actually have a place come december

How much do you normally ask for as a retainer?

08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Ask for half fees til baby starts. If she is very keen she'll be happy to pay it to keep the space open. Good luck :thumbsup:

08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
be totally honest with her, you have the space available now and to hold it open you would have to turn other work away costing you money in the run up to christmas. Therefore in order to complete contracts and secure her a space she would need to pay £xx a month for the slot-I believe half contracted fees are acceptable. you can always take on temporary minding if it comes up as long as you make it clear to all how long the space is available.


09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Has she actually had the baby yet? Or will he be 4m when he starts in jan? You can't take a retainer for an unborn child.

I am in a similar situation as you, have two of my own 3yr and 22m and became registered in April. My first mindee was a temp until the end of june while the parent was at college and was great to ease me in. I had an enquiry quite early on for a baby to start in nov and was a bit unsure so told them to contact me regarding spaces in june, this was march, they had come to meet me etc but she still hadn't agreed her work hours so couldn;t really book a place. I never heard back but I do have a baby down to start in March, contracts were signed in June, I have chosen not to take a retainer but had signed another contract a few days previously for another baby who starts next month which works in nicely, so will mean from march I am full. Basically what I am trying to say is once I got one enquiry they suddenly all started coming along and it's all worked out quite nicely.