PDA

View Full Version : Gov considering stopping Free milk for under 5's !!!

ourmadhouse
08-08-2010, 03:32 AM
:panic: :panic: :panic:

Just read that the government are considering from next April, stopping the free milk scheme to save spending as there is no evidence it improved health and it costs £50 million a year to run.

Hebs
08-08-2010, 05:04 AM
I dont blame them really, things have changed alot since it was first introduced x

oakie dokie
08-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes!..... just heard it on the news!.....only just got the delivery sorted as they kept getting it wrong! :laughing: oh well lwts hope they are as quick to scrap EYFS as i do believe it's on the cards!:clapping:

TammyN
08-08-2010, 07:33 AM
that's just typical, didn't it happen last time part of this gov were in, my hubby said this happened? i don't remember :blush: ive only just sorted my milk delivery out too!

FussyElmo
08-08-2010, 08:49 AM
that's just typical, didn't it happen last time part of this gov were in, my hubby said this happened? i don't remember :blush: ive only just sorted my milk delivery out too!

Thatcher thatcher the milk snatcher :laughing: it was a big uproar last time.

Got to admit this one isn't high on the priority list and they probably will be worse to come.

Mouse
08-08-2010, 09:33 AM
I've read this morning that it's not going to be scrapped now - wish they'd make up their minds :rolleyes:

I do claim my milk money back, but it wouldn't worry me if it was stopped. Cuts need to be made & if the scheme is costing so much, but not showing benefits, then it should be stopped. A cm friend has her milk delivered & gets so much of it, she ends up giving it away - why should tax payers be funding that?

cmlr
08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
£50 million a year to run?:eek:

Something is amiss there. Think about it. Milk is not worth £50 million. The English farmer gets on average 24 pence per litre. If the milk is imported (and a lot of milk is imported from places like Poland) it is cheaper still.

So where is the money going? Someone is being greedy along this milk scheme. They could run the scheme for a lot less and still get a profit. :idea: A win-win situation for all. :jump for joy:

sillysausage
08-08-2010, 10:03 AM
A cm friend has her milk delivered & gets so much of it, she ends up giving it away - why should tax payers be funding that?

This happens at our local preschool too and I totally agree that when this happens we are wasting tax payers money. I know in school a significant chunk of the free milk gets thrown away.
I've never claimed free milk partly because parents have tended to continue to supply milk once their child comes off formula (giving me the required no. bottles each morning to go in the fridge .....never asked them to, but hey ho). And I only use about 2 pints of milk per week on the other children, many of them prefer water or diluted fruit juice and they get other dairy products every day. It just never seemed worth claiming.

avril
08-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Heard on the news today that this is not longer being abolished :clapping:

sweets
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
ive never bothered claiming for milk but just had an e-mail saying minders in my area will soon be able to have it delivered, hope that doesnt mean i have to wait in for it or that i end up getting pints and pints of it to last all week! lol. ive only got a little fridge :laughing: wont bother if that happens, only a couple of mindees like it anyway.

SammyM
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
What a non news story!! First they are considering stopping it, then they're definitely not, all in a day.

British press makes you proud!!

sweets
08-08-2010, 09:07 PM
made me laugh as it was breaking news on bbc news this morn and the story was constantly repeated :laughing: surely there are more important things going on in the world!