PDA

View Full Version : NCMA vs Morton Michel

bexcee
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
My NCMA membership and public liability insurance are up for renewal at the end of the month but I am thinking of changing to Morton Michel and wondered if anyone had any expereince of them.

I just don't think I get much for my NCMA membership fees, there are no support groups for childminders in my area, I have very little contact from my development worker and just resent paying to be a member of NCMA.

The NCMA membership fee is £50 and then another £23.60 for the public liability insurance. MM is £41.

So does anyone have any really good reasons why I should stay with NCMA or can you recommend MM?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

wellybelly
07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I've no bad experience of the NCMA but like you I am considering going to MM when my insurance is up for renewall. It concerns me about the lack of legal support the NCMA provides in situations where parents don't pay. And it's cheaper.

charleyfarley
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
My NCMA membership and public liability insurance are up for renewal at the end of the month but I am thinking of changing to Morton Michel and wondered if anyone had any expereince of them.

I just don't think I get much for my NCMA membership fees, there are no support groups for childminders in my area, I have very little contact from my development worker and just resent paying to be a member of NCMA.

The NCMA membership fee is £50 and then another £23.60 for the public liability insurance. MM is £41.

So does anyone have any really good reasons why I should stay with NCMA or can you recommend MM?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I am thinking exactly the same. I've been with NCMA for 11 years and although I do like the paperwork really can't justify staying with them when I hear some of the stories about lack of support due to non payment :panic:

Carol xx

lou lou
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I have just changed to morton michel as i thought mcna was expensive and was not really getting a lot for my money and i am quite happy with morton michel

charleyfarley
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I have just changed to morton michel as i thought mcna was expensive and was not really getting a lot for my money and i am quite happy with morton michel

Have you ordered the paperwork too? Do you think it's any good?

Carol xx

ChocolateChip
07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I started off with MM so can't comment about NCMA but basically I had the full kit of paperwork, the only ones I don't use now are the attendance records and financial records as I have done my own. I have rang them for advice before now and found them very helpful, and reasonable prices, if you have the insurance contracts work out £2 each, that's for 5 pages of duplicate.
As I said can't compare but would recommend. :)

bexcee
13-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Think I will give MM a go as don't feel I have any obligation to stay with NCMA when they do so little for me and cm in general. Even our local cm support group has closed down.
Thanks for your replies :)

desiderata
14-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I am thinking the same I have been with NCMA since 1993 and have now got a non paying parent and their answer is that if they havent got a job they cant pay. The fact of the matter is they were claiming tax credits and had the months notice period from their as I checked but still didnt pay me anything!! I will be changing when mines due or can you do it half way through?

newandlearning
14-08-2010, 04:38 PM
here is another link re this discussion from a while ago..

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56194&highlight=morton

I've got soo much extra NCMA forms etc that I've bought that I'm not sure about whether with MM you then have to pay extra for the first batch of forms or not.. does anyone know?

I also agree that if you've got a non-paying client it is pants if you have to work 4 weeks unpaid whilst in a notice period.. it just doesn't seem fair... is it not possible to get around this by putting a clause in the contract saying that if there is a period of non payment then you as a childminder will terminate the contract with immediate effect?

I also find it a joke that we can take reservation deposits but have to legally give them back if the client chooses to not use our services.. or at least that's what I think I've read on here a while back...

MM is cheaper but do you get the paperwork included or is it an extra cost?:rolleyes: just not quite sure.:)

have just looked on the MM website and found this link
http://www.*****************/eShop/itemDetails.asp?ID=59&ID1=13&O=0

hmmm.. not sure if it is really cheap after all?