PDA

View Full Version : New mindee likes "scary things". Any ideas please!!

Cazz
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm going to be signing contracts this week for a little boy who will be 5 in January and is starting with me in October.

On his visit he told me that he likes scary things. My 2 and half year old dd is quite girly and not into scary so I don't really have anything (apart from a tub of dinosaurs if they count!).

I want to get some resources for him over the next few weeks and wondered if anyone could give me any suggestions? Also, ideas for activities that I can do with him after school.

At least I know he's going to enjoy Halloween!!

Thanks for any help!

AnnieM
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I recently bought the elc tower of doom and monsters off eBay. It has gone down a real treat with the boys. My 5yo mindee also loves the planet protectors from elc, not scary as such but they do have a baddie (think it's doc tox), so should be able to play some good games with those. :thumbsup:

kats
07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi, what about minibeasts, i have a big bag of plastic ones the boys and the girls love to play with them!!

SammyM
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Dinosaurs, Pirate ships, tower of doom, lego/mecano (to make his own monsters) Planet protectors the list is endless!!!!!

Cazz
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll have to look them all up (never heard of the Tower of Doom but it sounds scary!!)

So far I've had all girl mindees except for a baby boy and my own son who's nearly 13 was more into cars and football so I've not had any experience of these things!

I'm going to try and get to some car boot sales over the next few weeks so at least I know what sort of things to look out for!

ChocolateChip
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Also how about the craft side of things. making his own scary mask, or monster out of junk modelling or playdough, dinosaur biscuits and sandwiches etc.
Saw a brilliant thing, think it was on Mister maker where he made a 3d face (gargoyle?) by sticking on egg boxes and bits of card to make features and then covered it in papier mache, if I remember rightly, could be made to look as gruesome as you want, and if your dd wants to make hers girly then it could work for both of them.
Just thought these might be better for when the horrible weather sets in, but could do 'monster' (treasure) hunt or something, fake footprints and so on.

RedDragon
08-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Am happy to send you a picture of me first thing in the morning - every time he mentions he is bored just show it to him.:)

AnnieM
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Am happy to send you a picture of me first thing in the morning - every time he mentions he is bored just show it to him.:)

:D :D :thumbsup: I could send one too it'd scare the pants off him!!! :laughing:

Cazz
08-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Ha ha I like it!!

Thinking about it me getting straight out of bed and letting him in at 8.00am would probably have the same effect! :laughing:

I looked on ELC site at the Tower of Doom - looks great but £75 :eek: Think I'll keep my eyes open for a 2nd hand one!!

Those craft ideas sound great as well - thanks :thumbsup:

watgem
09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
my mindee loves scary -especially scooby doo! mini beasts and dinosaurs, tents and torches, junk model monsters:)