PDA

View Full Version : ECM - achieving economic well-being

Tatia
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I've been beavering away at my policies and procedures and sticking them under the 5 ECM outcomes with an additional one called Oragnization. I've got loads for every one but Achieving Economic Well-Being. I'm stumped. I mean, I am providing flexible, affordable childcare so the parent can go back to work or school but that's not exactly a policy or procedure is it? I was thinking of making a statement though to that effect, just so there's something under that heading or am I just being overly enthusiastic?

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Acheiving Economic Well being translates for childminders as Organisation:D

Tatia
02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, yeah, that's OUR economic well-being covered! :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
They just want evidence of paperwork. The more procedure/policies you have the better.

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Yep Twinkles I am up to the 264th policy so far!!!! lol:laughing:

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
That'll keep the inspector busy ( and out of your hair ) when you have your inspection :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Tatia, thanks for posting this, I have a similar query.
Am updating all my policies as first visit w/c 14th (aaaaaaaargh!!!)

Have put little captions at the bottom of all mine saying Every child has a right to be safe / healthy etc etc.
But what do I put for this one, economic wellbeing doesn't really make sense like the others do. I know Ofsted will know what it means but it sounds a bit stuffy and confusing for parents.

Was trying to think of something different, any ideas?

:idea:

ChocolateChip
05-04-2008, 11:22 PM
By the way I was told that we help children achieve ec. w/b by giving them a good start in life and enabling them to make choices and decisions which affect their future, i.e to know about education and training opportunities, consequences, choosing a path in life, if things go wrong how to get help, etc. for older children, and just getting used to everyday life for little ones, taking them to shops, talking about money, food, role play, people who help us, going to work and school, everyday sort of stuff.
Not so much about actual monetry wealth but knowing what options are out there, especially if from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Don't know if it's all true, but hope it's of some help.

sarah707
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Tatia, thanks for posting this, I have a similar query.
Am updating all my policies as first visit w/c 14th (aaaaaaaargh!!!)

Have put little captions at the bottom of all mine saying Every child has a right to be safe / healthy etc etc.
But what do I put for this one, economic wellbeing doesn't really make sense like the others do. I know Ofsted will know what it means but it sounds a bit stuffy and confusing for parents.

Was trying to think of something different, any ideas?

:idea:

I use 'organisation' as my header for this section... :D

ChocolateChip
06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Sarah ,I am also putting it under Organisation in my folder, but I can't really put every child has a right to organisation! Although judging by the chaos around here sometimes it might be a good one!

:eek:
Wish I hadn't tried to be so clever now!

Spangles
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
What about

every child has a right to be cared for in a well organised and economically sound setting?

sarah707
07-04-2008, 06:48 AM
What about

every child has a right to be cared for in a well organised and economically sound setting?

Oooooo! Good one! :D

Pipsqueak
07-04-2008, 07:10 AM
What about

Thats good:thumbsup:

Hmmmm...... well organised??? My home (sorry setting) is well organised chaos everysingle day - does that count?:D

ChocolateChip
11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
That's really good Spangles!!!
Can I pinch it?
I am really panicking now, 2 days until Ofsted :eek: :eek: :eek:
Have nearly done policies, still got risk assessments and obs to write up- oh, and my son's football training, match , daughter's dance class, washing, ironing, Sunday dinner, damn good clean, not to mention looking at all the fab info on here!
Would it work if I said I was ill, do you think?! :p

sarah707
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Would it work if I said I was ill, do you think?! :p

Errr... probably not, no! Anything else you need though, just shout! :D

vix84
20-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone, I have seen the ECM pop up in a few threads and am puzzled as to why I dont have a clue about it?!!
When did we this come in etc?
I have Organisation as one of the National Standards, is this ECM something new?
Glad I found this site as I dont know when stuff gets updated! Am going to join a Childminding network soon for the support!

sarah707
20-04-2008, 09:27 PM
ECM is Every Child Matters - a Govt initiative after the death of Victoria Climbe...

It covers what they consider to be the most important things about a child's life - being healthy, being safe, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and the final one which is translated as organisation.

If you look at any ofsted report on the web it is set out in these 5 outcomes, so you can put your paperwork etc into groups for easy access under the 5 outcomes.

Hope this helps :D

vix84
21-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I feel stupid now lol, how obvious was that!

sarah707
21-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I feel stupid now lol, how obvious was that!

Dont' ever feel daft to ask questions... if you are asking it probably means lots of people are wondering... so you're helping them too! :D