PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED VISITING AND NO MINDEES YET

lauraleo
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I got my registration through jan, but have not got any mindees as yet. Ofsted phoned me in jan and asked if I had any and wrote me a letter to confirm that I had no mindees.
They have just rang and I have advised still no mindees, but they have arranged to come out to visit next week in order for me to keep my my registration active.
Just want to find out what they will be looking for, as I haven't been minding or had much interest, haven't gone out of my way to get bits until I have definete interest. am just thinking may be like pre-reg visit, giving senarios etc..
to top it off my partner is going onto night work and will be when they visit so not going to look too good him being asleep, or do they not mind.
not sure whether to continue now anyway as there seems to be alot of childminders in my area with spaces and not many people looking, I seem to be losing all enthusiam.

Heaven Scent
02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Whether you continue or not is up to you you need to weigh the pros and cons and what suits your family best but I wouldn't want to rush into anything - They don't usually come out to visit if you don't have any children so someone is being a right numpty there are millions of registered childminders out there who pay the annual registration fee just in case they are made redundant from their present jobs - They are having a clamp down on those type of people and maybe the numpty has got you mixed up with them someone has probably mixed up your details - anyway if you give up and don't show you are actively advertising then your CIS - not Ofsted would look for their grant back.

Anyway what I would do since you have no children and won't be able to get any higher grade than satisfactory is have all you policies and permission letters ready - a bare minimum will do just to show that you inten to meet the standartd and have a brief outline of some planning just a list of themes, some risk assessments actually lots of risk assessments and get risk assessments from places of interest that you are likely to visit with the children e.g. local farms etc.

Tell them that you haven't got much special equipment for mindees as you don't know what age group you will be having as as no mindees - no money to invest in much but have a wish list for the various age groups you can make this as impressive or basic as you wish but I'd make it impressive it will be like going on a virtual shopping trip.

Make a list of favourite resource websites that you have get them from here and have your posters up and reg doc so you can show her that you are ready. Show you have all your other docs ready for when parents come knocking e.g. attendance records contracts etc etc just to show how competent you intend being.

Also have some very broad plans for when EYFS comes into play and have questions ready to ask her about it pick her brains make use of her. Use this opportunity to do some training and get on at least one or two courses before she arrives show her that you have been booked on. Invite the Inland Revenue person around and get the ball rolling for using Safer Food Better Business you can always cancel all visits from these people if you don't find anyone.

Also with regard to your lack of clients/customers - can I suggest that you get in touch with your local job centre who may be able to recommend you to parents returning to work, Keep nagging your local CIS call them every day if necessary and they will put you forward before others and your name will stay at the top of their list. Get some business cards printed Vista Print is a good site and they are free and Bromley childminders have some that you can download free. They also have some adverts that you can adjust to your needs you can ask to have them displayed in chemests health centres local childrens centres etc etc etc. write to or email local big companies in your areas and ask them to put one up in their staff room or loos even. Get yourself out there also tell local nurseries, playgroups, mums & tots and schools and indeed childrens centres. Write a list of where you have advertised and show it to Mrs Ofsted and tell her that you sent follow up letters or are in the process of it and basicall just keep a record of any responses. Be proactive with your friends and family and tell them to drop your name into conversations with friends who have children etc etc.

My other thought on this visit is that they are checking up on you because they don't believe that everyone who says they have no mindees yet are actually telling the truth and you may just be the one who drew that short straw and are down for a spot check. Whatever happens let them see that when you do actually do have children you will be one ****** good childminder and mention that you have joined this forum for support and in the future hope to be able to give support to others.

All the very very best of luck with it all

Cheers

Blaze
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Just to warn you...you are likely to be graded as satisfactory as you have no mindees...agree with above...make use of the inspector & good luck!
Tasha:)

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Whereabouts in Surrey are you? I'm in Surrey and everyone seems to be busy.

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Your full inspection is 6months from pre-reg visit - they will generally ask you the first time they ring if you have any children and if you don't they will defer the inspection to closer to the 6months.

If you have no children by the inspection/6months they have to inspect you and all you can get is a Satisfactory.

angeldelight
02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I agree with everyone else

If it was myself I would be inclined to call them and cancel the appointment

I would make out that I have had an enquiry and if you get the job you could be starting in May so could they come out then

Hopefully during that time you really might get someone to mind really

Its worth a long shot anyway plus it gives you the chance to get a better grade and I would explain that on the phone that you would prefer if they came out when you have a child so you do not get graded unsatisfactory
You would still be with in your 6mth period after registration

In other words I would stall them

Its what I would do anyway

Angel xx

Spangles
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I totally agree with Angel.

Personally, I would definitely put them off. Definitely.

lauraleo
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow, thanks super stars, thats alot of stuff to get sorted, thanks so much wouldn't of thought of most of that.
Will start getting bits together and decide whether to stall or not.
I want to get started but to be honest probably been my own thoughts that have stopped me. I live in a 2 bed flat on 2nd floor with no lift, although its large just think why would someone choose me over someone with a house and own garden. We have communal gardens and nearby parks and I'm out everyday with my little one anyway, so not much different but still wander. Also my partner started working nights for the first time ever in feb, so is asleep during the day, its not long term but on and off for a while so thought this would also put off. We also recently decided to move and had our place on the market so didn't want to take anyone on just to let go if we sold, but the market all over the place so were now staying put for the time being.
I am though going on an intro course to EYFS in may and starting unit 2 in homebased childcare, so have few courses lined up.
Also wanted to ask about fire blanket does it have to be a particular type or size completely forgot to get one.

lauraleo
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
twinkles I'm in addlestone - runnymede area of surrey.

Heaven Scent
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my husband works nights as part of his 8 day shift and at both my pre reg visits I explained that he would be sleeping when they got here and they said no problem but they would like to see my bedroom next time so I will make sure that the visit will be on a day when he is on days. (when I say both I mean last April in this house and 10 years ago at my last house - under social services haven't been minding for all of that time mind you.)

Second point is did you not get a fire blanket with your pack from NCMA or Morton Michel which you get free when you register? - I have to say I thought all fire blankets were all the same size but when I think about it they must have larger ones in big hotel and restaurant kitchens but I'm sure that we are all given domestic ones anyway ask your local CIS they will give you advice also ask them for advice on this visit also talk to the tutor from your pre reg and Introduction to childminding courses.

As for your home it obviously passed the pre reg visit and if they didn't think it was suitable or that parents would find it unsuitable they would have let you know so no worries there.