PDA

View Full Version : Definitions of inclusion

Tatia
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm re-working policies as well as working on an OU assignment in which "inclusion" plays a big role. So I've been doing some digging, wondering exactly what is meant. It would seem that inclusion is the new buzz word to sort of replace equal opportunities. I'm taking it to mean that you will not discriminate for any reason (race, gender, sexual orientation, culture, age, ability, whatever) and in addition, you will proactively seek ways not just to take on a child but to make necassary adjustments and changes in order for the child to participate fully in your setting (I dunno, installing a ramp if possible for a wheel chair or making sure activities are able to be accessed by all children or making sure there are positive images of disabled people or ethnic groups).

Here's a good link for defining the term: http://www.bristol-cyps.org.uk/services/eit/definitions.html

So what do you feel is meant by inclusion?

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
To me inclusion is - everyone is able to participate and enjoy - simple as.

The onus is on the provider whether childminder, youth club, local council, bus company etc to ensure an Enabling Environment that does not discriminate against someone because of specific needs, gender, race, belief etc.

Pauline
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
To me inclusion is ........ being included

no matter what :)

sarah707
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
This is an informative site :D

http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_6402.aspx

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Very well put Pauline

Angel xx

wendywu
03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
To make sure the setting and your resources enable all children to achieve on their different levels.:)

miffy
04-04-2008, 02:49 PM

I'd agree with that

miffy xx

RedDragon
06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Inclusion:
the process of recognising, understanding and overcoming obstructions or barriers to participation.

avril
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
My local early years are holding a briefing on this on Thursday so Iwill report back anything of interest!!

Avril x:)

Pipsqueak
06-04-2008, 02:28 PM

nuff said! Thats it in a nutshell:clapping:

Tatia
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes that's a very succinct definition but unfortunately, I don't think OU will be happy with just that in my essay!:laughing: :laughing:

miffy
06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Maybe you'd better wait til Avril's been on her course then :)

She might come up with something to pad it out with

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I am going on an inclusion course soon too - I shall give you the feedback too.

Tatia
06-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd appreciate any feedback. I feel pretty confident with what I've written but fresh POVs are always helpful. I look forward to hearing about your courses!

Pauline
07-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Yes that's a very succinct definition but unfortunately, I don't think OU will be happy with just that in my essay!:laughing: :laughing:

Awwww go on, I dare you :D

Tatia
07-04-2008, 07:14 AM
:D It's silly really, these word constraints. Either I'm waffling on, trying to pad out an idea when one sentence (like Pauline's definition) says it all OR (and this is generally the case for me), I am frantically trying to decide what to leave out so I don't go over the word count!:mad:

sarah707
07-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I struggle with the word counts as well... I just try to add a quote instead of waffling on... ! :laughing:

Amanda
07-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Inclusion is a vast subject incorporating equality of opportunity, special needs and parental involvement. here are a few quotes from OU E124 materials which might help.

The OU (2004,ST2, p12) suggests the terms inclusion and inclusive education are currently used to describe the inclusion off all children within education and care settings". How do you adapt routines/activities to allow all children to participate and reach their full potential etc eg painting adapted to include all ages. Talk about participation rights, what you do to allow children to participate and make choices/decisions

For an environment to be totally inclusive, both children and adults need to have respect for those who are different from themselves. "Children can only leanr inclusiveness and positive regard for diversity if they see the adults arounbd them doing the same"(The OU 2004 ST3) I am a positive role model . I ...... (what you do to promote diversity...)

How do you work in partnership with parents to ensure all children are given equal opportunties.

How do you value childrens cultures and beliefs

Best of luck
Amanda

avril
11-04-2008, 07:20 AM
My local early years are holding a briefing on this on Thursday so Iwill report back anything of interest!!

Went last night and it was all about safeguarding children, I'm sure the letter also said inclusion. Maybe I need an eye sight test!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:
SORRY :blush: