PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who don't drive...

helendee
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Do you ever feel inadequate, as I do, when you read of all the outings that a lot of CMs seem to take their mindees on?

I live near a lovely park which we use most days and I take the children to toddler groups, local library and we go out shopping and to visit friends but I can't compete with those with their seven and eight seaters who go to the zoo, seaside etc. Not much I can do about is as I have poor eyesight so don't drive but I hate to feel that my los are missing out on fun.

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't drive, but we still go on outings. Just catch a bus or a train. I have had several parents say they like the fact that I don't drive as it means little one will not be stuck in a car for school runs etc. We have just as much fun if not more as children with me also get the experience of using train etc, which most don't with parents as they nearly all drive everywhere.

jaja
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
i dont think tha children miss out at all, i have a 7 seater but i tend to find places that i can walk to local park, toddlers, library, shops, or just to walk the kids love the fresh air and love it, i do go to in door play areas, seaside, days out but i find the best days are when we got out and explore whats around us whether by foot or car, mostly foot though.....

I used to go in the car all the time but decided that unless needed then i would try to walk everywhere as it does the kids some good and me:blush: :blush: its needed lol....

i am sure you are fantastic xxxxxxx

huggableshelly
04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I drive and own a 7 seater

BUT

most school holdiays I was unable to use my car due to having too many children as older sibblings came to me too. last summer I had 12 mindees most days, a trip to the zoo would be too stressful!

We walked to the local park, shops, adventure playground, library, free holiday craft sessions etc.

during term time I did use my car for lazyness more than anything else, I did not have time to go to the farm and zoo inbetween toddler groups, nursery runs and school runs.

So do not feel inadequate that you are unable to offer such wonderful trips, a bag of sand and a bucket of water is much more fun than sitting in a car full of figdity children driving to the beach.

hayleychildcare
04-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I dont use a car.

I walk everywhere and when mindees 1st come they are always complaining about walking everywhere and saying "Hayley we have walked miles: normally just around the corner:laughing:

There are lots of places that i cannot get to on a bus BUT there are also lots of places i can get to, it may take longer to get there but kids love being on the bus, train, ferry etc.

Tomorrow we are getting the bus to the cinema so i can have a rest:thumbsup:

angeldelight
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Do you ever feel inadequate, as I do, when you read of all the outings that a lot of CMs seem to take their mindees on?

I live near a lovely park which we use most days and I take the children to toddler groups, local library and we go out shopping and to visit friends but I can't compete with those with their seven and eight seaters who go to the zoo, seaside etc. Not much I can do about is as I have poor eyesight so don't drive but I hate to feel that my los are missing out on fun.

I do not drive and we go all over the place

Dont let it worry you - I can take the kids all over the place and sometimes its the local park that can be just as much fun and what they enjoy

Just enjoy what you do

Angel xx

helendee
04-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all your kind replies, I am just the kind of person who never thinks that she is good enough, lol. I would use public transport but have three under fifteen months so don't think that I could cope with just two hands, lol :laughing:

Mollymop
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't drive and it doesn't make me feel inadequate. If we go on a trip then I book a taxi and we go to a play centre or a farm. I only do these trips once a year though.
I think going out in the community is enough - I go to parks, library, town, feed the ducks, other minders. We never get bored.

I think most of the minders who go to the beach live quite close by to the sea. My nearest beach is over 40 miles away. Or who go out for a day at a zoo, i woudl ahev to travel quite a way to a decent zoo - I think most minders live close to them.

I know of a few parents who liked the idea that I don't drive as then they know we won't be going too far away and they won't have the worry of road accidents while they at work, etc.

Most minders here do drive but they don't go out of town much, or they don't drive when minding

EllaBella
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
i failed my test 4 times already and in weather like this , thundering and raining on school runs i do feel like a complete faliure, and it does upset me, the kids are cold and wet because i couldnt get my car round a corner ect ect on the test lol,

however i dont let not driving stop me taking the children anyhwere, it just takes longer and needs precise planning, timing for bus and trains ect ect .

carrying pic nic, nappies bottles blankets and bats and balls annoys me, id love to chuck it all in the boot and drive instead of being an octopus lol

on all trips out im loaded up like a donkey!

PixiePetal
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't drive - too scared! :blush:

I live in the country with infrequent buses but get by.

I am 2 bus rides from the sea, 2 bus rides from the farm park (including getting to bus stop and waiting between 2 village buses it takes 1 and half hours each way to do what would be 15 mins by car!) but we do it as the buses are fun, travel the countryside, and the days out are good.

Sometimes get a bus to town and get a lift to other places with a CM friend. Or I bus to farm park and get a lift home.

I don't take on more than 2 non walkers for this reason, next year I should have a 3 and a half yr old, 1yr old and 6 month old so we can still get out and about. :thumbsup:

Parents don't see it as an issue.

helendee
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Hopefully I might be in the position to choose the age of my mindees one day but my hubby has just been made redundant so have to take what I can get!! Also I never seem to get enquiries about older children these days.

PixiePetal
04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Hopefully I might be in the position to choose the age of my mindees one day but my hubby has just been made redundant so have to take what I can get!! Also I never seem to get enquiries about older children these days.

I am lucky with being in the position to pick ages to fit but I am sure yours are having a great time anyway locally. At that age everything is exciting - and parents can take then further afield at weekends/days off. I don't go to our local small zoo as it is a pain by bus, very expensive and past parents have had season tickets so go themselves.

I like the farm park, it is easy to keep track of different ages has all facilities I need and I bought myself a season ticket - under 2's are free :thumbsup:

Blaze
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't drive & look at it as a positive re the kids - if it wasn't for me most of my mindees would never have experinced being on a bus/ train/ tube!:eek:

suzyblue
04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I drive a 7 seater and the only action it sees is me off to the dump with piles of rubbish:D

I prefer to walk:thumbsup:

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
three tinies on a bus isn't to hard, one in sling or backpack, one in pushchair one on reins. Or as hubby isn't working take him with you to help.

charleyfarley
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Don't let it worry you about not driving, some parents prefer it and think of the money you're saving on repair bills :laughing: (can you tell mine is playing up :angry: )

I have a 7 seater but most local people don't realise I drive as we walk the three school runs we do each day in all weathers. It takes me longer to load them all up in the car seats than it does to walk.

I'm lucky enough to have a park across the road from me so we use that alot :thumbsup: I would also walk into my local town but we have no pavement along a busy/fast road so it is just too dangerous to have los walk.

I do use my car for days out but limit major days out till my hubby has his hols that way he can help with our 2.

Carol xx

helendee
04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
three tinies on a bus isn't to hard, one in sling or backpack, one in pushchair one on reins. Or as hubby isn't working take him with you to help.

Well until his CRB check is back I am not sure that parents would be too happy about that tbh. My three mindees are all big, tall toddlers so no way could one go in a sling and all have only just started to walk so public transport really isn't an option for me at the moment.

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Well until his CRB check is back I am not sure that parents would be too happy about that tbh. My three mindees are all big, tall toddlers so no way could one go in a sling and all have only just started to walk so public transport really isn't an option for me at the moment.

Do you have a triple pushchair, if so then long walks are great for little ones. If Hubby is at home with you when minding, then coming out on trips is no different, just no unspervised access to children and written permission from parents.

helendee
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Charlotte

Yes fortunately I do have a triple buggy, or baby bus as I affectionately refer to it, it's a tandem one not a side-by-side.

The reason I am nervous about Paul coming out with me is that I have just been reading some of the posts on Netmums about Childminders and some of the mothers were almost popping with rage because their childminder had gone out on a trip with a friend/relative that weren't known to them.... anyone would think that a known sex offender had been invited along!!!

The Juggler
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I hardly ever drive when minding. i have a few times this hols because I've had less children.

We just use the train and bus if we have long outing we want to go on.:)

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi Charlotte

Yes fortunately I do have a triple buggy, or baby bus as I affectionately refer to it, it's a tandem one not a side-by-side.

The reason I am nervous about Paul coming out with me is that I have just been reading some of the posts on Netmums about Childminders and some of the mothers were almost popping with rage because their childminder had gone out on a trip with a friend/relative that weren't known to them.... anyone would think that a known sex offender had been invited along!!!

I have taken a coupe of friends out with me on trips, however I have always checked with parents first. They have always been fine sbout it. I think some of the mums on netmums tend to jump on the band wagon and wind each other.

caz3007
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I dont drive either and my over 8's have been moaning about the parks we walk too and dont want walk too far as they are all driven around in cars. It occurred to me today how I can get to a much bigger and nice one on the other side of town, but taking my local bus and then a short walk at the other end, so my DS and I are doing it tomorrow and will do it with my older mindies when they get back from their holidays. I am also lucky to live by the beach, but again older mindies arent too keen.

I would definately drag hubby along too if the chance arose to help out and we have done outings further afield when he drives us

The Juggler
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I dont drive either and my over 8's have been moaning about the parks we walk too and dont want walk too far as they are all driven around in cars. It occurred to me today how I can get to a much bigger and nice one on the other side of town, but taking my local bus and then a short walk at the other end, so my DS and I are doing it tomorrow and will do it with my older mindies when they get back from their holidays. I am also lucky to live by the beach, but again older mindies arent too keen.

I would definately drag hubby along too if the chance arose to help out and we have done outings further afield when he drives us

they are not keen to go to the beach:eek: what is it with parents who don't teach their kids to enjoy the outdoors and walking:angry:

jumpinjen
04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi there, I drive but have a five seater so holidays cannot use it as have six every day, ranging from 20 months to 7 years.... I am going to the beach next week courtesy of a bus trip organised by then children's centre!! I do go on trips but these are teamed up with other minders who take my two children in their seven seaters and I take the mindees, or i pay my mum's petrol and admission and she does the same! I also take advantage of £1 national express tickets, cheap rail tickets where children go free etc. A couple of my mindees come at a later time so i ask mum to meet me in town or by the station, and i go on days when hubby is on earlies so he can meet us back and take our children whilst I take mindees! My parents are happy to flex round it a little so I can do some days out (to cheap or free places, I do about two paid trips per summer)

Hope that might have given you some ideas, but three under fifteen months sound like they wouldn't appreciate the big days out anyway!

Hugs, Jen x

rickysmiths
08-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Charlotte

Surely they know your dh though? My husband is Registered as my Assistant, he is a teacher so is at home in the holidays. I have two teenage children of my own as well. Last summer we borrowed a couple of single buggies so we had one for each mindee. Ages 8mth, 22mths,21/2yrs and31/2yrs and we went on the train and tube from Hertfordshire to Kew Gardens for the day. Their parents thought we were mad!! They were delighted and their children had a great day out. My parents have always regarded me having dh to help sometimes as an advantage. I have also been on trips with my MIL.

I have seen things like this on Net Mums, I would ignore it and get written concent from your parents about going on trips with the help of your dh and enjoy.

maisiemog
09-08-2010, 07:28 AM
I dont drive either and I have never let that stop me going out with the LOs. In fact tomorrow we're catching the train to birmingham for a day at cadbury's world.

I do find that I need to plan things more and be a little more inventive with where we go than if I drove.

Mind you I am dreading the thought of doing all that walking with a double buggy come winter so I might learn to drive later in the year!

FussyElmo
09-08-2010, 07:39 AM
I can understand a parent being wary if you kept introducing random strangers to the children but he is your husband.

Quite frankly if they didnt like my husband joining me on a day out then when they see him pretty much every day they would be told something not pleasant.

The ages of you children means that certain trips are going to be a waste of time for you so just stick to your local free places :thumbsup:

manjay
09-08-2010, 07:45 AM
I drive my 7 seater everywhere and still often feel inadequate;)

We live in the middle of nowhere although we do have occasional buses! The weather is pretty abysmal as we live up in the hills so yes I do use the car alot. However I don't do wonderful trips constantly. Wouldn't be worth my while financially. We make do with what is free or cheap. Mine would be lucky with a trip to the zoo once a year:D

ruby
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
We live in a village (well a big village now) neither of us drive but that has never stopped us getting about. The only things for the little ones are 1 M&T
a swimming pool and a couple of parks. The trains were put but on about 3 yrs ago so there is no stopping us now , we catch the train about 3 times a week to different things the children love it

We have even gone to Bristol Zoo with 6 children catching 2 trains and bus
My parents are always saying we do a lot with them actually they say we do more with ours than some of the childminder who can drive

Cathy

caz3007
09-08-2010, 08:29 AM
they are not keen to go to the beach:eek: what is it with parents who don't teach their kids to enjoy the outdoors and walking:angry:

My mindies get driven everywhere, well the older ones do, I am talking about 9 and 11 year olds. My Ds loves walking and nature, our holiday next week is going to consiist of rockpooling, crabbing, bird watching and a couple of days out, but most of those that are planned include nature.

We live one mile from the beach and one pair of older mindies dont like it and dont go and dont want to walk the half an hour with a picnic to the brilliant park we have, which has just been refurbished, cos they sometimes go there at the weekend.

Hebs
09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a 7 seater but during the holidays i cant use it cos too many kids,

This hasnt stopped us going out every day using public transport!

heatherw
09-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I think that it is probably an adventure for some children using public transport as they get driven everywhere. Surely using buses and trains can be used as a learning opportunity in itself. We spent a weekend in London a few weeks ago and my 5 yr old nephew loved going on the tube with the different coloured lines and counting how many stops were left til we got off. Personally I do have a 7 seater but I don't plan on using it much. There are 3 toddler groups, childrens centre, 3 parks, at least 3 schools, town centre and shops all within 30 mins walking distance so I hope mindees like walking!

watgem
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't drive either, and often feel inadequate, so charge a bit less than my driving friends. but I have a CM friend who also doesn't drive and we take our mindees down the cycle path , where they look for "Dinosuars" "pirates" see all the local wildlife(foxcub last week and we rescued 3 baby birds today!) and the local history, today we went to the canal and the kids played Harry Potter round the trees for 3 hours, which the parents loved. I feel that we are meeting the requirements of the EYFS too. I do feel bad when the weathers rubbish but encourage Parents to supply appropriate weather gear or I provide it and we look forward to hot chocolate when we get home. Even if I could drive we can't afford a big car, and some of my mindees parents don't give permission for their children to be transported anyway, so I think as long as Parents know before they sign the contracts and everything is carefully planned it isn't an issue, as parents wouldn't choose you if they did mind.