PDA

View Full Version : oooh i'm livid

Hebs
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm at an indoor play area with Cher and i've been told that my son cant play as he doesnt have socks on,

Now mark hasnt wore socks since he was 4 as he has sensory proessessing difficulites and i've never had this problem before anywhere else!

flowerpots
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
i had this a couple of weeks ago with my son, and just as i was about to start arguing with the women another child went flying down one of the slides because he took his socks off and his foot stuck to the slide, it is annoying but i can sort of see their point.

Blaze
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Start quoting the Disability Discrimination Act at her!:thumbsup:
I understand as a gerneral rule (verucas etc) However there are always exceptions that should be allowed for - & Mark is one of them.

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
It is tricky, my son went through a phase were he would not wear socks, thankfully we never had to do indoor play areas as he couldn't cope with the accoustics etc. However found a brand of socks with no seams, and he loves them. They are expensive, but worth it if only for play areas etc.

Seamless socks (http://sensorysmart.webeden.co.uk/#/truly-seamless-socks/4535999597)

Hebs
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Start quoting the Disability Discrimination Act at her!:thumbsup:
I understand as a gerneral rule (verucas etc) However there are always exceptions that should be allowed for - & Mark is one of them.

yes i will quote DDA, simple as

she said it cos they could stand on a pin :rolleyes: or catch HIV through blood :rolleyes: she also asked how they would stop everyone else from taking socks off if they allowed mark, i said i'm not being funny but 90% of the kids in here plus some of the adults arn't wearing socks so they arn't listening to you anyway :laughing:

rules also include...

Arms and legs must be covered
no glasses allowed
no bare feet

yet they were serving alcohol in GLASS glasses not plastic glasses :rolleyes:

got the email addy for the manager :thumbsup: boy is she in for a shock tomorrow :D

Hebs
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
It is tricky, my son went through a phase were he would not wear socks, thankfully we never had to do indoor play areas as he couldn't cope with the accoustics etc. However found a brand of socks with no seams, and he loves them. They are expensive, but worth it if only for play areas etc.

Seamless socks (http://sensorysmart.webeden.co.uk/#/truly-seamless-socks/4535999597)

he won't wear socks and to be honest takes his shoes off as soon as he can, he hates wearing anything on his feet :thumbsup:
in winter i have to force him to wear a coat, he would happily play out in shorts and vest top in snow :D

EllaBella
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
what protection is a sock if a child steps on a pin anyway ???

Hebs
04-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Thats what i asked lol x

PixiePetal
04-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Thats what I was thinking - shouldn't be pins in there!

Long sleeves are for preventing carpet burns on slides :rolleyes:

And glasses :angry: reminds me of Wembley arena seeing a concert, no bottles allowed in with lids on - H&S (had to drink my home mixed southern comfort an lemonade down quickly :blush: ) but they were serving lager from a big back pack machine thing into plastic pints and it was all over the floor being spilt - where was H&S then :rolleyes:

wendywu
04-08-2010, 04:06 PM
All the soft play round here demand that children wear socks they always have done :)

LOOPYLISA
04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
yes i will quote DDA, simple as

she said it cos they could stand on a pin :rolleyes: or catch HIV through blood :rolleyes: she also asked how they would stop everyone else from taking socks off if they allowed mark, i said i'm not being funny but 90% of the kids in here plus some of the adults arn't wearing socks so they arn't listening to you anyway :laughing:

rules also include...

Arms and legs must be covered
no glasses allowed
no bare feet

yet they were serving alcohol in GLASS glasses not plastic glasses :rolleyes:

got the email addy for the manager :thumbsup: boy is she in for a shock tomorrow :D

Me and hubs were in a pub last weekend, i had a plastic glass :rolleyes: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
All the soft play round here demand that children wear socks they always have done :)

Snap :thumbsup:

clio0602
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
All the soft play areas nr me won't allow you in without socks. Think its varrucas (sp) and infections. Can't believe they said about a pin.

If there is a genuine reason they wont wear socks they should take each case individually!

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
he won't wear socks and to be honest takes his shoes off as soon as he can, he hates wearing anything on his feet :thumbsup:
in winter i have to force him to wear a coat, he would happily play out in shorts and vest top in snow :D

My son used to go to school all year in short sleeve shirt and shorts. His shoes are always off at the first opportunity.

LOOPYLISA
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Snap, i would wear flipflops all year round if i could :D

Poor mark :(

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Snap, i would wear flipflops all year round if i could :D

Poor mark :(

I do, very rarely wear proper shoes.

flora
04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Our soft play have signs saying wear socks, but not everyones sticks to it .

Think you got an awkward moo at reception, give them hell :D :thumbsup:

little chickee
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
All soft play i've been to they insist on socks.

When it says no glasses they mean specs!

Hebs
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
All soft play i've been to they insist on socks.

When it says no glasses they mean specs!

yeah! as if you'd tell a child to take their glasses off :eek:

the reason i'm so livid about it is she told me i shouldn't take my child to an indoor play area "if he can not cope" :angry:
he is perfectly capable of playing safely, just refuses to wear socks :angry:
the thing is all the other local indoor play areas have this rule but dont enforce it, mark hasn't wore socks in almost 7 years, and we've never had this problem before, and the majority of kids there were in bare feet as were the parents........... it's summer.. we're all in flip flops :panic:

she told me i could buy a pair for £1............. why should i when there were other kids in the play area in bare feet??

PixiePetal
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I only wear socks on holiday in my walking boots, I own 4 pairs in total. I am a bare foot person if at all possible - especially as the puppy ate y shoe this week!! :laughing:

Desi-101
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM

My son is like that, he hates any indoor play i.e play groups, if a dog barks indoors he goes balistic, hates indoor pools but loves water! so it has confused me abit! I been thinking its the acoustics of an indoor area that freaks him out!

Back to the sock story, I am sick of rules! why can't kids be kids anymore! if so an so's foot got stuck cause he was sockless if mum or kid chooses to be sockless let him/her be and find out or learn to stick foot up.... it was how we used to discover our world around us as kids. Life is being made to be too smooth for kids and ruled too much so can't think for ourselves anymore, so how will they cope in the real world one day!!???

Pedagog
05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
My son is like that, he hates any indoor play i.e play groups, if a dog barks indoors he goes balistic, hates indoor pools but loves water! so it has confused me abit! I been thinking its the acoustics of an indoor area that freaks him out!

Back to the sock story, I am sick of rules! why can't kids be kids anymore! if so an so's foot got stuck cause he was sockless if mum or kid chooses to be sockless let him/her be and find out or learn to stick foot up.... it was how we used to discover our world around us as kids. Life is being made to be too smooth for kids and ruled too much so can't think for ourselves anymore, so how will they cope in the real world one day!!???

The problem is we live is a world where parents always want to blame someone else and sue them if something goes wrong. So when little johnie gets his foot stuck because he was not using the equipment correctly it has to be someone elses fault. A classic example of this I was in a supermarket last week, small child about 5 or 6 racing up and down with a trolley, dad laughing his head off. Two seperate staff members told him it was dangerous and suggested that he should stop. Long and short of it, child fell over banged his head dad starts shouting that the F*****G floor was wet and he could sue the the supermarket.

I agree there does seem a lot of rules, but maybe thats partly due to us not letting our children play the way we used too when we were kids. That and many parents have no common sense these days. How often do you have children turn up with no coat on a wet day.

Hebs
05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
the post about kids complaining they are bored also shows that kids these days are used to being entertained and not entertaining themselves,

around 90% of the kids in the play area and the all the adults in the under 4's area we're in bare feet, yet they refused to let my son go back into the play area.
i laughed at her cos she put an announcement out over the tannoy that everyone needed socks on, yet not one person went and put socks on :laughing: :laughing: