PDA

View Full Version : Should i change to term time only after summer holidays?

mrs robbie williams
03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi there, ive struggled through last week and this week with 2 mindees aged 3 and 5 (sisters) they dont really get on. The 5 year old is really lazy and unfit, that sounds really mean but its true :blush: she moans if we have to walk the dog in the morning let alone go to a park as well. Ive got my own children aged 6, 12 and 15. Only got a 5 seater car so one of the older ones have to stay at home if we go out for the day. My problem is the 15yr old she is very good and patient with the mindees but makes me feel so guilty saying its her holiday as well which is very true. We only have them 2 more days this week then im off for 3 weeks holiday (paid) then 2 days of them then back to school. My question is should i tell the parents that from next year im doing termtime only just to keep my children happy? obviously it would mean id lose 6 weeks money :eek: what do you think?

little chickee
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
The difficulty with being totally term time only is that that isnt particularly convieniant for a lot of parents who then have to find extra cover for the holidays.

You are relying on getting customers who are teachers or work within schools who have school hols off.

Its a lovely idea to be off all through the scholl hols but is it pratical?
I do understand too as my kids are 13, 10 and 7 and have had similar issues.

clio0602
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Hiya I was struggling with the school holidays as I have siblings who fight and wrestle constantly. I have decided to do 3 days only during school holidays from Sep. Gives me 2 days for own kids NVQ and paperwork catch up and then I can pack the other 3 days with days out, hopefully keeping them occupied and no fighting.

If you can find term time only children that would be great but if parents need holiday cover also it could be difficult. Luckily my parents can take hols and cover days with grandma who lives up the road so its all good here :thumbsup:

Good luck with what you decide

Curly Quavers
03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
I tried to become term time only before Easter and for the set of customer I had at the time it was great. But as we know families come and go from our settings. So when I found I needed to fill 2 spaces I just couldn't seem to find the customers. So have now reluctantly given up on the idea and offering care all year round.

The up side is I am much better off financially :D

The Juggler
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
If you found it hard, I would ensure any new children you take on are term-time only. However, if you tell current parents that you are changing to t-t only you may lose them as they may need that cover. Better maybe to keep them, ask them if they would consider holiday clubs (for school age children) so you just have littlies in hols.:)

Good luck. I had same issues as you (well actually was knackered after 3 years of 5 days/week 48 weeks of the year!:laughing: :laughing: ). Now I have a mix of t-time only and all year round children but all are parttime so I have a few days off in every school hol and 1 day a week during term-time.

marian
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I now work term time only.
Like you as my own children got older I found it hard going trying to please everyone. So I decided to only take on new mindees as term time only children.
That way the numbers reduced over a year which made it more managable.

I still 'help out' mindees for the odd day or two but it is not as stressful now as it used to be :)

Marian x

twiggy
04-08-2010, 10:44 AM
My friend who is a childminder changed to term time only and I was able to offer places in the school holidays to her children that needed care as some of my mindees are term time only and I had spaces. Can you work with another childminder to offer cover in the holidays.

The Juggler
04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
i understand your daughter's point of view as well hon but at the end of the day if you weren't minding you'd probably be out at work.

Could she maybe do a holiday club or you agree to take a day a week off during some of the hols to be with her?

wellybelly
04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I have felt like going term time every day since the start of the school holidays - the bickering is enough to drive you mad and trying to keep them all stimulated for 10 hours a day every day is impossible. I am 19 weeks pregnant and don't have the energy to take them on long walks this summer. My kids are frustrtaed but like Juggler said, they would be in childcare themselves in the school hols if you were in a 9-5 job.

Give yourself the 3 weeks to seriously consider what you want to do. I am so greatful for the term time and this always makes me feel better. I could'nt make a rational decision in the school hols as I;m never in the right frame of mind lol! What about more hols for you in the year in the school hols? I take all mine during the school hols e.g. 1 week out of the easter hols, october half term etc. This seems to balance it out a bit.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ripeberry
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I've been term-time only from the very begining, but will give ad-hoc days during the summer holidays and this works well for my familly :)