PDA

View Full Version : Very independant 1 year old - HELP!!

tomthumb
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Hello
I am sorry I have not been able to post a lot lately but since I have started childminding (only 3weeks ago), I am running around like a headless chicken!!:laughing: I don't know how you all managed to do everything!!
Anyway, my question is: I have a one year old mindee who is very independant, which is great. The problem is I find it very difficult to find activities to do together so I have no nice planning for Ofsted to see. I do a daily diary of the things we have done and it is mostly going out to park, and soft plays. Once we are home, she usually wants to play on her own. I feel a bit bad as her parents are paying me to look after her,which I am doing but I don't feel like I am playing games and doing things with her as she is not interested. It is difficult when you are just starting as no one can tell you whether you are doing a good job or not.
I have been playing with the treasure basket a bit, singing, dancing, did some finger painting (not too keen though).
Do you think you can do a lot with a one year old??

Banana
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi - glad to hear you are being kept busy! :D

I wouldnt be too worried. I'd make a note about it in her diary that she would rather play alone and try to encourage her to join in with something that you get out to play with butu if she would rather play alone then just go with the flow. As long as she is safe and happy then you are doing a good job!

Some children are like this and they will come round eventually and want to play with others, unless you are noticing any behavioural problems also I really wouldnt be worried

xx

ma7ie
02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with Banana. "T" my mindee 18mths likes playing on his own and is just not interested in joining in with activities. So long as he is happy and has the option of joining in I let him get on with it. :)

Tatia
02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I think if you are providing stimulating, interesting resources for the child to access, even on their own, that you are doing your job! Just take some photos of her playing and make a note that she's very independent.

My daughter is also very independent and just wants to do what she wants to do, which is usually exactly what everybody else does NOT want to do! :laughing:

Count yourself lucky that she can amuse herself and doesn't need constant entertainment!

sarah707
02-04-2008, 07:27 PM
My OU course that I am doing talks about this... watching a child and learning when to interact... spot the 'teachable moment'... that time when the child is open to suggestions to extend her learning.

A bit trickier with a baby tbh, but if she's playing with a musical instrument and enjoying the noise, you could try introducing a song... things like that... then put what you did to extend her play in your planning. :D

miffy
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds to me as though everything is fine so why worry - you must be providing toys that are interesting to her and she must be relaxed secure and comfortable in your home and company otherwise she would not be happily playing alone

miffy xx

berkschick
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
My daughter is 19 months and I mind a 12 month, 19 month and 2 x 20 months.

None of them want to play with me! Lol I have even tried changing my perfume :laughing:

I also have a 2 year old and a 3 year old (obviously I dont have all these at once!) so I tend to plan around these 2 and the younger ones get to do the acivity too.

EG, this month one of the Themes is holidays. This week we have been cutting out pictures of clothes and toys and sticking them on a pieve of paper which I have designed to look like a suitcase. The older ones can cut the items out themselves. For the younger ones I cut a selection of things out and they have kind of stuck them on! The have loved the glue stick more than anything!

My little ones do have a fair bit of free play to be honest. I join in when I think I will be allowed! Like today, G was putting one block on top of the other so I built a bigger tower next to hers and she then copied me and knocked them over.

I wouldnt worry too much, just join in when you can but there is nothing wrong with free play mixed in with the park, soft play, etc.

Rach30
02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds like your doing a great job . I mind this age group and it does make planning hard so i tend not to bother lol , Just have a range of toys and make notes / observations of what they do play with then that can give you ideas of waht other toys / activities you can offer in the future iyswim .

button68
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
EG, this month one of the Themes is holidays. This week we have been cutting out pictures of clothes and toys and sticking them on a pieve of paper which I have designed to look like a suitcase. The older ones can cut the items out themselves. For the younger ones I cut a selection of things out and they have kind of stuck them on! The have loved the glue stick more than anything!

I LOVE this suitcase idea .............. tell us more !!!!!!! :D

Tatia
03-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I was thinking that, too, Button. Sounds really interesting.

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Oh you sound to me like you are doing everything right so dont worry about it

Go with the flow and enjoy if the child is happy to sit and play count yourself lucky

Have fun

Angel xx

tomthumb
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you for your advice, I am a worrier!!!!
I just want to make sure I do a good job!!
I do realise I am lucky with that little one as she is the first one I am looking after and she is so easy going. She eats really well, sleeps really well, has never cried in the 3 weeks I've had her and plays on her own!!!
This is too good to be true!

angeldelight
03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
You make the most of it - it sounds like heaven

Angel xx