PDA

View Full Version : playgroup assistant or childminder?

terrydoo73
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Some of you may remember I posted on here about a month ago regarding whether I should change from childminder to being a playgroup assistant mainly because of the hours - currently working 30 hours 3 days a week ie 8 am to 6 pm!!

Anyway I got the usual letter this morning from the playgroup saying I have been unsuccessful and just before the letter arrived I had an enquiry from a mum looking for a childminder, 1 year old child 2 days a week 8.30 to 6.30 pm. She rang me about 6 months ago when returning to work but couldn't get anyone to agree to these hours so put child in private nursery. Now the child has moved from the baby room to toddler room in the nursery and she is not happy as does not think he is ready.

I explained to her that although I would agree to the hours she had to realise I had 2 very boistrous twins aged 2 1/2 years and it may be the same problem in that if he is shy he might find it difficult to mix. I also explained when I realised where she was working that I was in the opposite direction completely that she might want to consider someone more locally - not trying to put her off just being reasonable I think. Anyway she wanted to come and see me with the twins being here to see how her little boy gets on and is coming today at 4.30! It has been 1 1/2 years since I last took on a new child ie these twins so I am a bit out of the way in terms of what to do or say!!

Question I have to ask myself is now what do I charge to make it reasonable but also take into account the fact that it is a 10 hour day she is asking me to work - 8.30 am to 6.30 pm. The twins are too low in my opinion at present - £4 an hour for both of them but as they were local and I wasn't sure if I would get them long term I thought of charging this to start off with. Then their mum took cancer and has been through chemo over the past 6 months and again I couldn't really increase the charge. I don't honestly know if and when mum will return to work and am sort of stuck until that happens!

Back to playgroup response - would I be OK to write to the playgroup (the committee are all volunteers so no one at the end of a phone if you understand what I mean) and ask them why I failed to get the job. They asked only for NVQ Level 2 and awareness of special needs and have first aid qualifications. They did say when applying that they had their own person specification which they would match with the applications received and this would determine whether they interviewed people or not. Personally I think this was a bit naff as it left it open for their own discretion as to who they actually picked but anyway! It might be useful for a future application if I consider it don't you think?

huggableshelly
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
If it were me I would ask for feedback as to why I was unsuccessful, you could call or email if they have an email service BUT things to consider:

the new applicant may have been ready for imeadiate start compared to others having to give notice.

the new applicant may already have pre-school experience.

the new applicant may be fresh meat as in straight from college that can be moulded into the setting.

as for your potential new mindee, check out what the other cm's are charging in your area. the twins are £4.00p/h for both being only £2.00 each which is WAY TOO LOW but understanding of why you are unable to put your fees up. If I was still a cm my hourly fee would be £4.00 ph per child making £40.00 a day for 10 hours a day at 3 days a week being £120 pw.

another option for you, contact the nursery, ask them what their daily rate is as a potential parent. take the twins with you for a look around then base your fees on theirs.

remember your potential parent does not need to know how much you charge others in your care.

moljak
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
How did it go????

terrydoo73
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Well after nearly half an hour late they arrived and stayed half an hour! Don't feel I will get this child - just something about the whole interview. The mum and dad came together and the father did not sit down the whole time! The child was adorable - very small for his age (1 year old) and not walking as yet. This is one of the reasons why they want him out of private nursery - all the other children his age are up and about and enjoy exploring loads. There are a few other things about the nursery they are not happy with but they didn't elaborate on these.

My twins were very gentle with him and on really good behaviour but did get a bit hyper towards the end - I think dad was worried about this aspect. They never asked me about money which to me is again not another good thing. I did explain that I preferred her to provide the food and with the nursery supplying this at present I think she would have been happier.

Just all these little things add up - I am the first childminder she has looked at and is going by recommendation so I would say it could be a while before I hear if at all!

miffy
03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they didn't ask you about money - they are used to nursery prices and childminders tend to work out cheaper than nurseries so it is probably not an issue for them.

If she is going by recommendation and you are the first childminder she has seen that's a good sign to me - you see the ones with the strongest recommendation first.

Anyway, hope something positive comes from it.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
i would def. ask for feedback on the interview hon. they should be able to give a reason that they didn't select you. But, if say a large no. of people who applied already had level 3 then this could be a reason.:(

Hope you get the new mindee.x

watgem
09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
hope you hear some good news from these parents soon, as for working in playgroup, I did both for 18 months and handed my notice in eventually when my key child left, although the hoours were great I still had to do eyfs folders, go to meetings, training, open days/parent evenings events etc unpaid. The money was very low and I missed the close relationships childminders can have with their mindees and parents. I am grateful for the experience, however the grass isn't always greener:)