PDA

View Full Version : Registering with LA for Waste Management!!!

donnagwynne
03-08-2010, 09:19 AM
:panic:

Had a letter from Early Years this morning to say that I had to register with the Local Authority Commercial Waste Management Service, and I had a duty under the Environmental Protection Act to ensure that I do, and if I do not I could be prosecuted. It clearly states on the leaflet that this also applies to anyone running a business from home.

From the information provided in the leaflet it now looks like I will have to either a) dispose of my own waste or b)employ and pay the local authority to do it for me.

If I dispose of my own waste, I will have to have a Waste Carriers Licence (from the environmental protection agency) and Waste Transfer notes.

ARE THEY HAVING A LAUGH!!!!!!

I do not produce any more household waste than any of my neighbours even though I run a business.

Does any one have any experience of this????

I am do not really want to draw attention to myself by telephoning the waste management service and asking them about it.

Please???

caz3007
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Goodness me, how ridiculous, all those nappies must be toxic. :panic:

I have less rubbish than my neighbours or only as many bin bags as those who are just a couple and I am a family plus my minding. We recycle all we can and keep our bags to two a week, we are allowed 5!!!!

Have noticed a bit of an increase this week and last week, but more to do with me sorting out ready for my holiday.

donnagwynne
03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
This is the leaflet that I was sent by my local authority.
http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=18862&p=0

Surely if I have to register, then so must all other childminders in the country as we all come within the remit of the legislation.

Is anyone else registered with their local authority??

And, like Caz I also recycle, compost etc and do not produce any more waste than my neighbours.

caz3007
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Read the leaflet and it mentions childminders. As long as we keep within our councils amount of bags to be collected, surely we should be ok, but reading that leaflet it doesnt look like we would be. Our waste is only normal household stuff, nothing toxic or in huge amounts.

I will await notification from my own area before doing anything about it.

How will they diferentiate between minding stuff and our normal stuff, as the only difference in mine is about 8 nappies a week (dont have babies full time, so am changing them as often as should) the rest is food packaging and other packaging which my own DS would generate too

Ripeberry
03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
This is all getting ridiculous, first of all they try and make us register as taxi drivers, now they try and make us register with waste management.

If they bring this out as law it will be a total laugh as what about the thousands of people who work from home and use their computers, they must produce loads of paper waste. :angry:

huggableshelly
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I've not found any futher information for other areas regarding waste disposal.

I would contact your CO, ask her for advice and if this is to be done are the council going to provide you with the correct bins so you can seperate your buisness waste from general household waste and if so are they also going to provide a safe place for it to be placed where you still ahve access to it as the larger bins are a danger and I presume would need a padlock of some form to ensure animals and people of all ages to not become trapped inside!

rickysmiths
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
:panic:

Had a letter from Early Years this morning to say that I had to register with the Local Authority Commercial Waste Management Service, and I had a duty under the Environmental Protection Act to ensure that I do, and if I do not I could be prosecuted. It clearly states on the leaflet that this also applies to anyone running a business from home.

From the information provided in the leaflet it now looks like I will have to either a) dispose of my own waste or b)employ and pay the local authority to do it for me.

If I dispose of my own waste, I will have to have a Waste Carriers Licence (from the environmental protection agency) and Waste Transfer notes.

ARE THEY HAVING A LAUGH!!!!!!

I do not produce any more household waste than any of my neighbours even though I run a business.

Does any one have any experience of this????

I am do not really want to draw attention to myself by telephoning the waste management service and asking them about it.

Please???

The solution is easy. You don't have any waste from Childminding. Just bag it up everyday and give it to the parents to take home and put in their bin. I'm sure my parents would do this if I was subjected to such a rediculous rule, especially if I havd to raise my fees to cover the additional costs incurred.

I would phone Early Years to find out more. If you are a member of NCMA this is definately something you should take to your next Regional meeting and take a letter for you Policy Forum Reps to take with them.

suzyblue
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
This is ridiculous! I would send the extra refuse home to parents too but as they live local to me the rubbish is going to end up in the same place regardless of which bin it starts off in!

Beetlejuice
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I did hear about this from my tutor on my NVQ course - we are meant to have yellow bins/bags for disposal of waste and that is collected by different dept to regular bin men. Utterly ridiculous and as I've had no notification from council about it I'm playing dumb. I don't generate more waste than my neighbours - we all have the same sized bin and I fill mine as much as them and no more!!

singingcactus
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Have they told you how much extra it will cost you to be registered and keep the whole business legal?
I remember those heady halcyon days when childminding was dealt with by competent people from social services, who understood the need for parents to have flexible, simple home from home child care for their little darlings. What the heck happened???

donnagwynne
04-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I have emailed by DO about this, and as usual she was particuarly unhelpful.

"I am sorry for your upset but we are just following guidelines from the LA, we appreciate your frustration and recognised there would be a lot of questions individuals would want to ask. However due to it not being our area of expertise I would advise you go directly to the contact details on the leaflet and share your concerns with them as they are the only people that can provide the questions to the answers.
We have tried to negotiate with them prior to sending the information out but they were very firm in their guidance"

I find it hard to believe that out of all local authorities in the country, Nottingham City is the only one that is going to implement this legislation against childminders, particularly when the Act in question is 20 years old. Why has no one encountered this before?

Is there really no other childminders on this forum who have to pay to have their "business" waste removed??

wellybelly
04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Does anyone have any idea on how much this will cost?

rickysmiths
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I did hear about this from my tutor on my NVQ course - we are meant to have yellow bins/bags for disposal of waste and that is collected by different dept to regular bin men. Utterly ridiculous and as I've had no notification from council about it I'm playing dumb. I don't generate more waste than my neighbours - we all have the same sized bin and I fill mine as much as them and no more!!

These are not the same thing. Yellow bins are for waste as a result of first aid incidents that involve the cleaning up of bodily fluids such as blood. All our First Aid boxes should have one, though trying to buy one is a joke, The girl in Boots laughed at me and said why on earth would I need one? They don't sell them! and suggested I try online! If you used the one in a First Aid Kit you could not dispose of it in your bin, you would have to ring your local Envirnmental Health Dept and arrange, at your cost to have it collected. My sister is a Chiropodist and she has a Yellow Weelie Bin for all her waste from her Chiropody. She is seeing 50-60 clients a week and so has a lot of waste.

I dabbed a grazed knee today with a damp tissue, it wasn't even a bad graze, I used one tissue but technically I should have dissposed of it in a Yellow Bag and paid for the bag to be collected. :eek:

However if I had an incident with a child that resulted in huge quanities of bodily waste I would be dialing 999 and letting them deal with it.

I think the original poster was refering to all our general waste for cm. So nappies, food waste etc. Hardly 'Industrial Waste'. I know as a family of 4 we have a smaller wheelie bin given to us than our neighbours who are a family of 5.

Our bin is rarely 1/2 full eventhough I mind 3 children full time and have before and after schoolies 4 days a week, theirs is always full to overflowing. We recycle a lot of stuff and compost veg and fruit waste.

It seems to me that a Jobsworth with too much time on their hands has instigated this in Nottingham. Are money strapped councils really going to start to take dozens/ hundreds of Childminders to court over this?

I really can't get excited about it all.

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Was chatting to a friend who is in Environmental health and apparently nappies are hazardous waste and should be disposed on in yellow bags.

Ripeberry
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Was chatting to a friend who is in Environmental health and apparently nappies are hazardous waste and should be disposed on in yellow bags.

Well they better start issuing them to all new parents then :mad:

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Well they better start issuing them to all new parents then :mad:

I know I said it was silly, but then he pointed out that they are encouraging parents to use real nappies, by supplying them.

huggableshelly
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

fair comment so all households with children wearing nappies must be provided with a suitable bin including childminders at no extra cost as parents would not be charged so why childminders but as already been stated if they do decide to continue with the charge ask them if there is a way out of it such as sending childrens rubbish home with them to eliminate the so called extra wate there may be.

my nighbour has 2 main bins both on the large side with only 2 children and 1 adult, both bins are always full. I have 1 standard sized bin and even when i was working at full capacity i never managed to fill it so to me the council are targeting the wrong people and should do regular spot checks on constant offenders who fill their bins too much and charge them instead.

Pedagog
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
We are not chraged for clinical waste round her, so a yellow bin would make no difference. To be honest I would love a yellow bin as it would mean my main bin was even less full.

I fully agree the council are picking on the wrong people, my bin is never full (fortnightly collections) my recycling ones are always over flowing.

caz3007
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I fully agree the council are picking on the wrong people, my bin is never full (fortnightly collections) my recycling ones are always over flowing.

Ours is the same, luckily I have an agile 18 year old son who jumps in my recycling to squash it down a bit or it would be overflowing.

All our food waste either gets recycled in the dog or the composter

The Juggler
05-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I have emailed by DO about this, and as usual she was particuarly unhelpful.

"I am sorry for your upset but we are just following guidelines from the LA, we appreciate your frustration and recognised there would be a lot of questions individuals would want to ask. However due to it not being our area of expertise I would advise you go directly to the contact details on the leaflet and share your concerns with them as they are the only people that can provide the questions to the answers.
We have tried to negotiate with them prior to sending the information out but they were very firm in their guidance"

I find it hard to believe that out of all local authorities in the country, Nottingham City is the only one that is going to implement this legislation against childminders, particularly when the Act in question is 20 years old. Why has no one encountered this before?

Is there really no other childminders on this forum who have to pay to have their "business" waste removed??

hon, I would speak to NCMA. If your LA is saying this, then as someone else has said, every other CM in the country should be having to. It's ridiculous.

elly1958
05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi all

I just had my visit following a phone call from the Waste Management officer. Nice chap and just trying to do his job but my oh my did he get a rough ride.

It seems its being looked at as they not sure what to do but as we are a 'business' and have waste we need to register. This basically means that we will have to pay £3.95 to have a bin .....yet another wheelie bin which will be collected weekly. I have a job to fill my wheelie bin as it is and i just not got the room for another without it encroaching upon the play area i provide for the kids. I also said how do we define commercial and domestic waste as we often share the same food, milk, cheese, eggs and bread......od will they suggest we start with a them and us food policy.

Its utter red tape again but it has to be said this was all started by a Registered Childminder in Nottingham calling the bin people asking for another bin as hers was over flowing. This chap said that she had a severe problem with waste on her setting and told her of what it would cost to arrange this business waste removal. She in turn called Ofsted and the Sandfield Centre who have reacted by sending us childminders copies of the paperwork. More paperwork oh joy.

I already have a bag here for clinical waste for my son who has to dispose of cathetars but if i have babies to care for i wouldnt be allowed to use this bag for putting their used nappies in. So 2 half filled bags will be picked up weekly and by the same lorry and same chap. Charged seperately. But the guy is already visitng me so he is getting twice the fees for the same journey.

I am so angry as us childminders are only recognised when its to do with money and bad childcare. How come.

He claims some childminders already register and pay for the commercial waste service.

We need to revolt over this issue.....lol I feel a demo coming on and a poster in my window. ha ha:angry:

elly1958
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I had a visit from the chap looking into this. £3.95 per week for the service. He is trying to get this reduced to £3.10 and two weekly. That fee is for one bin. If you want anrecycle bin for business its another £3.95. This is another excuse to print money and fill the council coffers. In my opinion 1p is too much.

TheBTeam
05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Ours is the same, luckily I have an agile 18 year old son who jumps in my recycling to squash it down a bit or it would be overflowing.

All our food waste either gets recycled in the dog or the composter

Sorry i chuckled when i read this and had to re-read it, i read it as 'computer':blush: :laughing:

auntym
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
They can stick it. Il take my own waste to the tip on a wk end. Cheeky pigs x

clorogue
05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
This was all mentioned on my first aid course a couple of years ago that it would be coming in and then we could think whether we give it back to the parents or pay. Guess which way the nappies here changed will be going!!!

PixiePetal
05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought there was a difference between running a business and working from home?

If you are at the stage of needing planning permission with the numbers of children you care for then I guess you are in the 'running a business'

sorry if I am wrong and talking twaddle, it is late (or is it early!) :o :o

maisiemog
06-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I actually think I would pay for this and am considering registering because the rubbish collection system here sucks!!!

Its fortnightly collection, we have to put ALL food waste into seperate bins, and recycle but for the last 2 weeks they've not collected our recycling so its now overflowing!!! And the whole street reeks of rotting food, plus there are flies and maggots! For £4 a week it'd be worth it not to have to go through the faff of it all!!

donnagwynne
07-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you Ellie1958 I really did wonder why Nottingham childminders were the first in the line of fire for this, now I know!!!

My bins are not too bad, but because of the recycling system in place here my non-recycling bin (the smelly one) is only collected every other week. I would be happy to pay £3.95 for this to be emptied every week, but I really do not have the room for an additional bin.

I am glad that you have spoken to the waste management officer, I was worried about doing this and 'giving myself away' in case I could not afford to pay for the additional collections.

If you feel like revolting Ellie 1958 please send me a poster!!

Donna

rickysmiths
07-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I know I said it was silly, but then he pointed out that they are encouraging parents to use real nappies, by supplying them.

Yes and in our area they won't give them to Childminders to use. :rolleyes:

caz3007
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I can fully understand the charge if you regularly need another bin, but if you keep within the allowed household rubbish, then there shouldnt be an extra charge. After all apart from a few nappies a week, I couldnt distinguish minding rubbish from our normal household

grindal
08-08-2010, 06:44 PM
When I was inspected by Environmental Health last year my inspector said that I should really be registed with waste disposal as a business user - as weekly refuse collections are only supposed to collect domestic waste and not business waste. But then he added that it would be ridiculous for childminders to have to do this! I am sure there are plently of people who run small businesses from home and do not have a seperate waste disposal arrangement

Trouble
08-08-2010, 06:55 PM
i was quoted 28.00 for a business bin when she asked me my name is said dont bother ill cram it in mine or take it to skip:D

i think our house recycles the most on our street:laughing:

Pixie dust
21-04-2018, 12:08 PM
I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone has come up against this recently as a childminding friend was told she had to get a separate waste contract or a waste carriers licence as waste from her business shouldn't be put in her domestic bins when she had a Food safety inspection from her local environmental health officer beginning of last week. This is an added expense which she can not afford. I am trying to find out if anyone else has come across this as other local childminders haven't.

bunyip
22-04-2018, 07:56 AM
We had a routine EHO inspection last month, and they were fine with us using the domestic bin. Nurseries and preschools here have to use commercial waste bin procedures. I suspect it may come down to different LAs doing different things.

FussyElmo
04-05-2018, 11:04 AM
We have to pay for a separate bin it costs £50 a year