PDA

View Full Version : glass cabinet - keeps or not ??

mr man
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
just going thorugh my risk assesments, and i was going to risk assess a glass cabinet which was a wedding present and now holds alsorts of precious things, really dont want to have to put it in he garage, only other people say i may have to? ( please not note childminders ) :panic:

so could any one who is more in the 'know' about this help ?

do i have to get rid or can it possibly have a risk assesmnet ? dont want to hinder anything, but at the same time it is my home ??? !!!!

thanks again tina.

p.s can i ask what the abbreivations are ? i got guesses but maybe not right.
DO -
DS - Dearest Son ??
DD - Dearest Daughter ??
Mr / Mrs O - obviously the big people at Ofsted HQ !!

any others .....? thanks :jump for :laughing:

karen m
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
i have a glass cabinet with glass ornaments ,when i was registering ofsted asked if it was safety glass which it is and said that was fine never been mentioned at any other inspection,been minding 6 years

sarah707
01-08-2010, 06:09 PM
DO is probably development officer! :idea:

I would ask about the cabinet at pre-reg before making any decisions either way :D

SamBaker
01-08-2010, 06:24 PM
I would ask the inspector when they come, mention whether it is either safety glass or that you would put safety film on it. I have glass doors front and back, I was just told to put safety film on the front and pictures on the back so children dont walk through them lol! It didnt hold my registration up at all. I'm sure if you discuss it with them they will advise you, I found my lady very helpful at my prereg.

Good Luck xx

Mrs Pootle
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I have an antique glass drinks cabinet, and when ofsted did my pre-reg visit they said to put safety film on the glass doors and that would be fine. I think as long as you can make the glass safe you won't have to remove it from your house.

PixiePetal
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I have a beautiful victorian cabinet in the sitting room - room only used for TV and sleeping and only when I am in here too.

I am not putting safety film on it but put a board in front of it when I am working.

We may be getting a new taller display cupboard in it's place and I have asked DH to order it with safety glass. A similar one on the other side of the room is behind a chair and has no safety glass but out of reach.

Not had Ofsted in this house yet - been living here a year and due soon so we will see.

charleyfarley
01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I have 2 glass units from Ikea (the ones you paint or stain) both full of crystal glass, Ofsted visited recently and never mentioned them. They are safety film covered but Ofsted didn't even ask, oh and they are in my living room so she couldn't miss them :D

Carol xx

fionamal
01-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a glass display cabinet for my crystal in the livingroom. At first was asked to put a lock on it but told them NO! as the kids cannot open it anyway at the catch is at the top of it and i wasnt ruining a cabinet with a lock.

The Care Commission was okay with that answer especially since I asked her to get on her knees and try and open it from a childs view and she couldnt :laughing:

mrs c
01-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I have glass panels in my porch door and glass doors into my living room. As I did not have a certificate to prove this was safety glass I had to put safety film over the 2 glass doors and cover the bottom porch door panels to a height of 2ft 6ins. Also as my bay window reaches lower than 2ft 6 and is not double glazed, I was told to cover this with safety film. I was not prepared to do this so ended up making wooden boards to slot in when minding, to cover the base of the windows up to the required height.