PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

Pipsqueak
01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Right, James was going to my good friend/excellent colleague while I was at Uni on a Tuesday. He has been with her for 2 years now (just on the Tuesday term times).

when I go back to Uni it will be on a Thursday and my very wonderful and lovely neighbour has offered to collect James from school and have him till I or Brian gets home. There would be no money changing hands - she has always cared for my kids and is like an extra nanna she means that much to my whole family (they even call her nanna). Pat is like an extra mum to me too and since moving here 10 years ago she has been a good friend, extra family, and basically my rock.

Now, L (childminder) is expecting to have James back in October as I had 'reserved' the space with her but this was before my neighbour offered.
James does love L to bits and her setting (I have absolutely no problems with the care she offers) but I know he would prefer to be with Pat.
I don't want to let L down, she has provided wonderful care and service, I need to consider what James would want, financially it would make life a lot easier - although L done me a special rate (even though I argued about it) I got no childcare help in paying and it hurts a bit when I will be paying my uni fees myself, travel, childcare AND loosing a days work at least.

help please

FussyElmo
01-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Hard decision.
Its only one night so its not like you promised your childminder a full time place even though she gave a special rate.

Personally i would be taking my neighbour up on her offer just as it would make my life easier and save money.

I could do with a nice neighbour like this :thumbsup:

Hebs
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
i dunno really cos what happens if neighbour gets fed up/has other things to do??

would she be as reliable as your childminder would be??

ORKSIE
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I too would go with the neighbour option.

Its a tuffy though.
Go with your heart:thumbsup:

'Ark at me gettin all sentimental and soppy:blush:

xx

moljak
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Lovely for your neighbour to offer.
If you feel this is for the best and she won't let you down as she knows it will be every week then go for it.
It might work out for your childminding friend to as she will then have that space available :)

little chickee
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
As long as you know you can rely on the neighbour/friend to always be able to help and James is happy to go there thats what i would do.

I know the cm has been fabulous over the last 2 years and has done a special rate i would hope that she would understand ( as we do) that the nature of our business is that things do change and mindees do leave.

I sure that she will understand - it is just one day a week its not like you are taking away a full time mindee. A nice leaving present will smooth over the transistion im sure!

blue bear
01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
if your neighbour was your real mum there would be no competition would there? you know what you want to do but feel bad about C/M, tell her asap, give her extra notice and a fantastic thank you gift.

sarah707
01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd go with whatever James wants to do.

Then when he moans or says he is bored / fed up etc you can tell him it was his decision :littleangel: :D

The Juggler
01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
if this is going to make life easier for you and James prefers to go there anyhow, I would be honest with your CM.

Tell her you've had this offer from James second nanna. he loves coming to her but also his other nanna and whilst it breaks your heart to take him out of her care you cannot justify not saving this money as you will then be able to spend it on the kids.

You are giving her loads of notice hon and I'm sure she will understand.:)