PDA

View Full Version : double buggy or tandem? help

littlestar
31-07-2010, 12:30 PM
hi everyone well i have decided after months of searching that getting a new pram isnt practical as i am 5 months preg i also need to accomadate work i have a 3 yr old who i got to take school this year half days also i have at least 1 non walker everyday so im thinking take 3yr old school non walker and newborn need to get a double i would love a lovely pram and all but not sensible as i would like to know work would not be a struggle so im looking for the most practical double or tandem i dont have a lot of buggy space indoors so need sensible size also i need something for newborn i looked at the ones like phil&teds but dont like the fact of my baby nearly sitting on ground would be ok if it was my child on top i no that sounds awful but i would like baby at my level i have been looking at the mothercare hoxton in rainbow sensible price and is suitable but doesnt have great reviews heavy and hard to push comes up alot anyone any ideas or have done this i would like some suggestions
thank you

PixiePetal
31-07-2010, 02:08 PM
A friend of mine had the Hoxton for her 16m and new born kids - she said it was awful and regretted getting it. front seat does not recline at all and is very upright so 18m could not sleep and baby was quite big and soon squashed in the back.

I would go for out n about 360. Side by side, good lie back and comfy. Or a Jane tandem whatever they are called?! Seem to get good reviews on the forum from CM who have them.

I have a P&T for practicality on and off buses to town from my village but not really keen either, although it is good to push.

MissTinkerbell
31-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I had twins and hated my side by side - so hard to manouerve everywhere and very difficult to get through doorways. I then had Phil&Teds when they were old enough.

I now have a Brtax B-Dual which is very similar. Both seats are suitable from birth and recline fully back. The top seat can be forward or rear facing even with 2nd seat on. It also sits up very high. The beauty also is that it can be used as single or double. Both seats have a hood and the rain cover fits both seats well - unlike the P&T.

The shopping basket is a decent size and can be accessed from side and front - very handy when you have LO in the 2nd seat.

It folds up with the 2nd seat on too.

I love mine and wish it had been available when my twins were babies.

margaret
31-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Baby jogger city select - John Lewis - expensive, but brillliant ,better than i candy which is heavier.Feels sturdier than jane powertwin which i have just broken,and lighter than britax, bigger basket and easy to get into,folds flat ,seats easy to take off and on ,16 different positions - not that i use all these,lovely being able to see and talk to childrens face.

sarah707
31-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I asked a similar question recently.

You might find some of the answers helpful! :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63947

Monkey26
31-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I had twins and hated my side by side - so hard to manouerve everywhere and very difficult to get through doorways. I then had Phil&Teds when they were old enough.

I now have a Brtax B-Dual which is very similar. Both seats are suitable from birth and recline fully back. The top seat can be forward or rear facing even with 2nd seat on. It also sits up very high. The beauty also is that it can be used as single or double. Both seats have a hood and the rain cover fits both seats well - unlike the P&T.

The shopping basket is a decent size and can be accessed from side and front - very handy when you have LO in the 2nd seat.

It folds up with the 2nd seat on too.

I love mine and wish it had been available when my twins were babies.

I am a Britax B-Dual owner as well and also love it! I care for twins and it is great for them as well as children of varying ages, i have also managed to put my buggy board on the back of mine so if i have a slow/tired walker they can hop on also :D I spent months and months researching as i wanted to move from a side by side (had a kicker!) to an inline double but wanted one that both seats recline flat (we often go for long walks which tires the young ones easily) - this is the only inline double i found that this can happen with. Also the top seat and be rear and forward facing which would be ideal for you and your newborn :D xx

The Juggler
02-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I asked a similar question recently.

You might find some of the answers helpful! :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63947

what did you decide on in the end Sarah

sarah707
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I have a list of 4 and I'm looking for the best price!

Silvercross pop - nice and light but I'm not sure about another Maclaren look-alike. It's the cheapest of the lot so I am keeping an open mind;

Mothercare urban detour - I met a lady in Mothercare who is a childminder and was singing its praises big style. Plus Blaze says it is brilliant;

Nipper out and about 360 - the draw back with this one is the weight at the back. It tips (and they land on their heads when it goes) according to a woman I was talking to in the Trafford Centre the other day - she uses it for 1 1/2 year twins. Apart from that she says it is perfect;

Baby city jogger - I saw one demonstrated yesterday and it ticks every box but it's £300 new and rain cover extra sooo it would have to be a bargain!

Now comes the fun bit... finding the right one out there for me! :D

love381
02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I've tried many and have recently bought the First Wheels City Twin. It is rather quite expensive, but it is AMAZING and I've read reviews on it that say it will last for years and years!! x

crazyhazy
02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Can I just say in defense of the phil and teds, it is a fab buggy! I got it when I had my 2nd dd cos I had a 22m age gap and knew I'd need a double. As a newborn, they aren;t almost on the floor, they're in the main seat of the pram, fully reclined, no lower than any other pushchair reclined fully. It was like a lovely wee bed for her when she was tiny, we had the cocoon which was fab and as a late sept baby she was very cosy in there. As you walk along when you look down you can see baby clearly. I had wrote them off first of all but once I tried one I was sold, I went from a proper carrycot with my first to the p&t and didn't ever regret it, was fab to push and after using it practically daily for 2 years I still love it.

honey
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
tandem any day ( the one infornt of each other) i foind it much better, the one i would recommend is the graco one as there ie more room in the back for the little one. I prefer this as you can then have another little one holdng on the side safely when on a pavement

MAWI
03-08-2010, 09:04 AM
I have a Baby City Jogger, its brilliant. I bought it two years ago, its light, can manouvere with one hand if needed. I quite often push it with two in it and a 3 year old holding my hand. The rainhoods are large, so if you dont have the rain cover with you and get caught out a baby would stay fairly dry, however a toddler would get feet wet. Also acts as a suns shade. It folds in half rather than umbrella fold, so is quite compact. I do not use public transport so can not comment on that. I would not be without this pushchair, I love it, will buy again when I need replacing. It was expensive but I reviewed every double before I bought it and have not been let down

littlestar
03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
thank you everyone for your help and advice i have decided on the mothercare xoob2 double stroller lots of reasons really it is smaller than a normal double i had a look at the hoxton and oh my gosh the baby back seat is a ledge not a seat there is no room :panic: i did not get on with the p&t and it just seemed good value for money it comes with footmuffs raincover and assessorys i pushed it around mothercare and it was easy i liked it i dont plan on getting on public transport its mainly for school run so is ideal and a steel at £150.00 :) i have in storage my lovely silver cross 3d so im gonna get that out for days with just baby and use double for working seems to work some of the prams i seen were lovely im so jelaous but work is important :( http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Xoob2-Double-Stroller/dp/B0030G8BA2/sr=1-10/qid=1280827297/ref=sr_1_10/280-4410018-8820556?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42804041&mcb=core

fluffysocks
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
please dont burden yourself with the silver cross pop duo!! I had one and it was horrid to manuoveur especially up and down curbs etc! I also know someone who had one and hers virtually collapsed, was less that a year old and barely used!!

The Jane tandem pushchairs have very little space in the back for legs. I have a Graco Quattro Tour Duo and I LOVE IT!!! only downside i have found over the last year is the weight, its possibly on of the chunkiest on the market and once you get a couple of "well built" children in it its definately a work out! If it wasnt for my dodgy spinal issues i wouldnt be looking to part with it.

I personally favour the tandems every time as gives the children some "space" from eachother and prevents one from waking the other when your not looking, however the twins are good for weight distribution. I have been looking at the ne new Britax version of a phil and teds, think its the Britax D Duel 4, have pushed it around a stored and fell in love instantly, also there is the O'Baby Zynergi duo that looks fab but havent seen on in a shop yet. If you looking for a twin then a friend recommended the mothercare urban 3 wheeler.

Hope it helps

x