PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a mindee having speech therapy?

miss mopple
31-07-2010, 09:50 AM
One of my mindees has their first referral appt coming up. I wont be around at the time as Im on holiday, but I am wondering if it would be beneficial if I did a little written report of where he is developmentally in other areas as well as speech so that they can get a better overall picture. Has anyone done this? Obviously I am keen to work in partnership with the therapist as much as possible so want to set off on the right foot.

Any experience of SALT would be really helpful if you are willing to share as its not an area I have much experience of

AliceK
31-07-2010, 01:11 PM
How old is mindee? My DD is under SALT so if I can help I will.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
31-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I have had 2 go through this.

To be honest I wouldn't bother with the report as they will test the mindee and make their own findings

Ask mum for you to be included in any reports

MissTinkerbell
31-07-2010, 02:49 PM
My 4 year old is also having SALT - he's been under them for almost 2 years now. Mum would probably have had to write a small report for the intitial referral - I had too.

I would just ask mum to keep you informed of whats been said and any suggested 'activities' that SALT suggest - that way you can support SAL whilst your mindee is in your setting.

You didn't say how old your mindee is - if he's quite small they probably won't do much at this stage - after my first referral DS didn't have any speech therapy until 6 months later and then only every 6-8 weeks. He's due to ben seen after 1/2 a term at big school and will then probably attend weekly sessions at school.

miss mopple
31-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. Mindee is 2.5 and very delayed. My suspicion is that there may be other underlying issues as well, but time will tell

I have offered their learning journey if they want to take it along to give a picture of how things are when LO is here so I'll leave it at that for now

thankyou all :thumbsup:

Twinklestars
31-07-2010, 07:07 PM
My DS who is 5 has had a speech therapist since he was 2, whenever they go into school they do a written action plan which I should always get a copy of saying what activities etc they want to work on for the next term

singingcactus
31-07-2010, 11:48 PM
The therapist for my mindee used to call me regularly to chat. She also had me listed on the mailings list so I received all the same paperwork. She sent to me any additional support resources that she sent home to mum, because she knew I had him for over 50 hours a week. Sharing info meant that when I suggested to her that she try MAKATON, because it was working well at my home, she managed to pull in more resources at her end and train up the entire nursery staff at the place this mindee attended. Before MAKATON this boy had no concept of communication - he wasn't delayed he simply had no idea that he could communicate with people and they were trying to communicate with him - but because we all worked so well as a team, including the nursery, the little boy can now communicate with those who know him and can use a range of words and understand loads of words.
The working together is massively important, so get mum to insist the therapist call you to chat and include you in the therapy. As others say though, a written report by you will probably not be necessary initially as they will want to assess themselves.

miss mopple
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Thats really helpful singingcactus, thankyou. I have already booked on a makaton course for november as its something I have always wanted to do so Im hoping introducing that will help :thumbsup: