PDA

View Full Version : Very Pink Pushchair and a little boy...

SammyM
30-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I have just taken on a 15 mth old little boy, my 'throw in the boot' umbrella style pushchair however is very very pink (the holiday one from mothercare)

Would anyone else have a problem putting a boy in a pink pushchair - I'm torn, don't know whether to just ebay for a cheap maclaren??

Bushpig
30-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Nope, not at all.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2010, 09:53 PM
If I only had the one child and it was a boy then pink would be fine but if I was looking for a second one I would look for a different colour

Alibali
30-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Can you put a buggy liner in it?

Rubybubbles
30-07-2010, 10:02 PM
why would it be an issue? Does it work okay?

I look after 5 boys and sometimes they may get a pink bowl or cup, at first they would moan, but now they fight over them:rolleyes: (ikea ones :D )

curlycathy
30-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a bright pink buggy that my 2 year old (boy) mindee quite happily goes in. He also sits in a pink flowery car seat - no problems at all. Its just what I have as some things I'd got already for my little girl before I started minding. I wouldn't go out and buy a new one just cos of the colour if I were you.

Hope that helps - farily new at this posting malarkey!xx

SammyM
30-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Its not an 'isssue' - everything in my home is for everyone, ie pushchair, dolls, action figures etc.

But this is sooooooo girly, I know it would make no difference to him, wonder what older bro / other mindees / playground mafia would have to say about it?? May just mention it to mom in passing, see what she thinks.

PixiePetal
30-07-2010, 10:20 PM
no problems at all :)

my boy mindees use my pink flowery fleece blanket in the buggy, they don't know stereotypes :D

My buggies are all red or brown so pretty unisex, I wouldn't have bought another specially if they were pink if they worked ok.

angeldelight
30-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Its not an 'isssue' - everything in my home is for everyone, ie pushchair, dolls, action figures etc.

But this is sooooooo girly, I know it would make no difference to him, wonder what older bro / other mindees / playground mafia would have to say about it?? May just mention it to mom in passing, see what she thinks.

I know what you mean

We try to make it that it is not an issue but things are still made for " girls " and "boys " no matter how much we tell ourselves different

Everything in our house is shared by both boys and girls and they do not care what colour they use

But a pushchair is a large item and its a bit different to using a pink cup

I do not think it really matters but I can see where you are coming from ........ I am lucky most of my parents bring their own pushchair

Maybe you could ask mom to bring hers and take it back when she collects her son - thats what my parents do

That way you do not have the expense of buying another one

There again she may not mind - so chat with her first before you decide

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon
31-07-2010, 06:43 AM
I'd have a chat with mum about it and if she's not happy ask her to leave hers.

If she's ok with it then I wouldn't worry, after all it's not as if the buggy has been bought for the little one, the buggy is yours and you are a girl...

kindredspirits
31-07-2010, 07:11 AM
my son has a bright pink bike - with purple tassles and a baby carrier on the back. a pink mp3 player and a pink laptop. he likes pink! :thumbsup:
it's just a colour - its not like you are dressing him in a skirt!!! :D

MissTinkerbell
31-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I have similar problem. I bought 2 expensive fleece cosytoes when my twins were small - one pink and flowery; one blue and with cars. When I had my little girl mindee she had the pink; next I had a boy and he has the blue. In Sept I have another boy starting and said to mum - oh I'll have to get new cosytoes cos can't put him in the pink flowery one' - mum laughed at me and said don't bother L won't mind, don't go wasting your money.

So I would speak to mum and see what she says.

Ripeberry
31-07-2010, 04:06 PM
As long as the buggy works then there is no problem. Why should pink be a problem for boys but not blue for girls? They used to dress baby boys in pink in the olden days! :)

My husband's friend used to be very against his son playing with anything girly or liking anything pink. He would have a fit if he saw his son in a pink buggy, but then he is strange :rolleyes:

TammyN
31-07-2010, 04:09 PM
i have to say Sammy that i was in the same predicament few months back, i had my daughters pink pram and my boy mindee, i just couldn't bring myself to put him in it, silly i know but i did go and buy a unisex one and passed my pink one onto a girl mindee as her spare!
i do allow them to play with whatever they want but this just didn't feel right. as my dd is now 'too old' for a pram :blush: she's 3!!! i have got 1 single and 1 double to cater for all my mindee's.

Pipsqueak
31-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Would anyone query putting a girl in a blue pushchair?

No, i don't have a problem with it at all (I can't stand pink myself though) but having two boys - Harry since the age of talking has loved pink and is now 10 and has just had his hair dyed a pinky colour for the hols and James age 5 who likes pink too. i actually have a pink pushchair that I had to get as an emergency one when we were out one day and James came down really poorly.

Pink is just a colour - with a sterotype. Me - never been one for sterotypes! lol

aly
31-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I had this issue a while ago but worked around it by buying the pick and mix pushchair in mothercare..the frame was sold seperately and at the time the covers were on offer so Ibought 1 pink and 1 blue, so at the mo I have the bolue on {after having the pink one when Poppy was younger}...but I have another moindee girl starting soon so I can change it.
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Pick-Mix-Stroller-frame/dp/B002IS4ZO4?_encoding=UTF8&

little chickee
31-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Would anyone query putting a girl in a blue pushchair?

No, i don't have a problem with it at all (I can't stand pink myself though) but having two boys - Harry since the age of talking has loved pink and is now 10 and has just had his hair dyed a pinky colour for the hols and James age 5 who likes pink too. i actually have a pink pushchair that I had to get as an emergency one when we were out one day and James came down really poorly.

Pink is just a colour - with a sterotype. Me - never been one for sterotypes! lol

My youngest son whos 7 also likes pink - he has a pink bike handed down from a friend and various other pink things including pjamas - it is just a colour.

Like pip says we wouldnt question if it was a girl liking blue or "boys toys".

If kids tease my son he just says " so what i like it" and thats it.

I would not hesitate to put a boy in a pink buggy and it would not occur to me to ask mums opinion.

Cammie Doodle
31-07-2010, 06:59 PM
No I don't think it should be a prob, but I could not do it, but that is me I'm a bit strange ask Carolyn:blush: It all goes back to a childminder in our village (years ago) used the same old worn out buggy for ALL her mindees. I always used to see her and thought I would hate my baby to be out in that lol .

Ali56
31-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Lol! my little boy mindee's all have to use pink things regularly too as my youngest is a girl and theres a big age gap between her and the other 2!
You could try freecycle for a buggy? I was given a fab nearly new mamas and papas buggy from a lovely lady who simply bought to many buggys because she liked buying them!!! she only had one daughter:laughing: :laughing:

Ali:)

Pipsqueak
01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
If kids tease my son he just says " so what i like it" and thats it.

Thats what my son says if people comment on his pink thing (that sounds rude I know!!! lol)
He is the most boy boy you could wish to find - he is a quad racing champ, full of cuts, bumps and bruises, my daredevil, he doesn't hesitate to BMX down and off things (scares the heck out of me) but he loves the colour pink - he also likes sparkly blingy type stuff.

One of his old teachers commented 'I think Harry is brilliant - he is unique and not afraid to show his individualism' - this was on a no uniform day and he wore his candy pink top to school.

if someone does comment - he will just give them a look and just say 'your problem not mine' or 'whatever' or just glare!!!!
Go Harry!

little chickee
01-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thats what my son says if people comment on his pink thing (that sounds rude I know!!! lol)
He is the most boy boy you could wish to find - he is a quad racing champ, full of cuts, bumps and bruises, my daredevil, he doesn't hesitate to BMX down and off things (scares the heck out of me) but he loves the colour pink - he also likes sparkly blingy type stuff.

One of his old teachers commented 'I think Harry is brilliant - he is unique and not afraid to show his individualism' - this was on a no uniform day and he wore his candy pink top to school.

if someone does comment - he will just give them a look and just say 'your problem not mine' or 'whatever' or just glare!!!!
Go Harry!

That made me smile:clapping: Just like my son - he can be very rough and tumble ( he has 2 older brothers so not much choice!) but has a lovely soft , caring side too.

When i buy new clothes or any girly stuff he always tells me how pretty i look - hes just adorable!:blush:

juejue
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I would ask mum and if she is not happy with it, she will bring her own.
I couldn't but a little boy in a pink pram myself.... but that's me. I have but a little girl in a blue one before today. she didn't look bad. But for some reason I don't think a pink pram is a boy thing. My mindees dad would go mad at me if I put them in one.
My friend would have no problem with it at all.