PDA

View Full Version : toys and equipment problem

terrydoo73
30-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Can anyone advise me what to do with my toys and storage problem?

My master bedroom which is adjacent to the living room acts as my playroom and stores all my toys (old bungalow with strange layout of rooms!). I have the Argos cubby hole system where you put anything from 6 boxes in each individual hole and each box is labelled with contents so I basically have like a farm box, a shop box, blocks, cars etc etc (you get the idea). I have stacked 2 of these 9 holes on top of each other and then put the craft items up on top so that the children cannot reach these 2 easily. I also have shelves for things such as jigsaws, games etc.

The recommendation from my early years annual inspection last year was to open this room up to the children rather than it just acting as a store room. I tried this but it was unsuccessful as I found that the children just pulled box after box out and emptied them, then started climbing through each hole to try and get higher up the walls!! Also with cots, high chairs and other equipment in one corner of the room I was frightened they would pull these down on top of them. So now I just bring out a box or two into the living room, kitchen and hallway and change it regularly throughout the day.

Problem is my inspection is due soon and I know they will say the same again as a recommendation - this room needs to be used regularly by the children!

What would you suggest I do apart from selling half my toys and equipment!!

sarah707
30-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I have shelves and put things children are safe to use on shelves they can reach.

Some toys are behind others so that I can monitor when they are taken out.

Everything accessible is in small boxes so that they are easily put away and the children learn quickly to keep the floor safe and put things back.

I don't have a huge amount of toys but what I have is well played with.

I would say to observe what the children tip vs what they play with during an average week. that will tell you what to keep :D

miffy
30-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Problem is my inspection is due soon and I know they will say the same again as a recommendation - this room needs to be used regularly by the children!

But you can say you have tried this and it was unsuccessful for the reasons given. As long as you have sufficient space for the children to play and they can access some resources then that is fine. There is no requirement for them to be able to access everything all the time.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
30-07-2010, 08:46 PM
mindees can't access everything all the time at my house - it wouldn't be safe or practical. We look in the cupboards together and choose things and I put out various things at the beginning of the day depending on children coming.

I am in the process of making an album for them to choose things which may be out of sight at the back of cupboards. :thumbsup:

terrydoo73
30-07-2010, 09:29 PM
It is the health and safety aspect I am concerned about more than anything - when they pull things out and then climb everywhere - desperate to get things that are higher up!!

I know exactly what they do play with and most of the other things are wrecked or thrown to one side quickly - they are constantly on the move hence my idea of restricting them to one or two boxes so that they get more value out of all my toys if you understand what I mean!

The appearance of the room I think is what is annoying me at the moment - I am kind of embarressed if anyone where to walk into the room!