PDA

View Full Version : A friend has asked me if....

Tam's Tribe
30-07-2010, 03:54 PM
you use a car seat for all your mindees (8 yrs and under)? And if you can't use an age appropriate car seat do you use the car or not?

Now even though she knows my opinion!!!!! she asked me to check with you all anyway!!

Lovies
Tam
x

singingcactus
30-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes I use a car seat for every child in my car under 135cm. If I do not have an appropriate car seat and cannot borrow one from the child's parent then I would not use my car.

onceinabluemoon
30-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't have a car but I do have car seats for use in other people's cars and if I didn't have the right one I would not go in the car.

tulip0803
30-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes I use a car seat for every child in my car under 135cm. If I do not have an appropriate car seat and cannot borrow one from the child's parent then I would not use my car.

As above. I aim to eventually have enough carseats of my own for any combination of ages.

Paws
30-07-2010, 04:18 PM

That's what I do and what, I'm sure everyone would do - surely it would be illegal not to?

Mouse
30-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't drive, but I do have a range of carseats so that if DH is taking us in the car, or if we're going with another minder, I usually have the right arseats. If I don't, we walk :thumbsup:

Hebs
30-07-2010, 04:27 PM
i have loads of seats in different stages :laughing: could open a shop

but if i couldnt use a carseat then i wouldn't use the car

Mookins
30-07-2010, 04:29 PM
havent yet started but already have 4 car seats for different ages and 2 boosters....no car seat no car!!

xxx

cas2805
30-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I have got all the correct car seats and boosters, just looking for somewhere to store them all when not in use!

little chickee
30-07-2010, 04:47 PM
My kids, mindees and friends of my kids all have to use the appropiate carseat for their age and size much to the disgust of my sons friends who i insist on measuring to see if they are over 135cm.

If they won't use the carseat thet do not get in the car.

Same for those who are above 135 and dont need a carseat but insist on wearing their seatbelt incorrectly ( under their arm etc) they either use it correctly or they get out!

mama2three
30-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I do , but must admit to once having a 7 year old with no car seat in the back...he had joined us at the park and it was only when we went to come home that I realised I hadnt put his car seat in. What a plank! I drove at a snails pace all the way home and was very apologetic when mum collected - she wasnt worried at all , but I gave myself a bit of a talking to!

Tam's Tribe
30-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks ladies and I totally agree . . . no age appropriate car seats, no use car!!!! :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
30-07-2010, 07:10 PM
yep, all my mindees and own kids go in a car seat/booster until they are big enough not to - end of story. No car seat then no trip in the car.

i have a minding colleague too who doesn't use a car seat for her mindee and it drives me batty, i have asked her if she has thought about the consquences properly - no just accident and injury but insurance, ofsted etc

TammyN
30-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I have got all the correct car seats and boosters, just looking for somewhere to store them all when not in use!

same here. i wouldn't use the car if we couldn't fit in safely

The Juggler
30-07-2010, 07:18 PM

ditto:thumbsup:

sarah707
30-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks ladies and I totally agree . . . no age appropriate car seats, no use car!!!! :thumbsup:

Same here! :D

sillysausage
30-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Totally agree

no age appropriate car seats, no use car!!!!

I have to be honest in my car the position of the seatbelts means that even if children have reached 135cm I insist they still use a booster as the seatbelts in my car seem to be attached quite high and so they still come down over necks rather than shoulders IYSWIM. This rather annoyed one older mindee who was rather proud of reaching the required height and who complained bitterly to mum (who incidently hadn't used a car seat with him for ages :eek: ). Thankfully mum said 'it's Cathy's car she makes the rules' :laughing:

SammyM
30-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Definitely no car seats = no car

One one my little 'uns is so pleased he's growm tall enough just to use a booster, rather than a high back booster which means he can sit in the boot with my son LOL!!!!!

:clapping: :panic: :clapping: :panic:

Rubybubbles
30-07-2010, 09:49 PM
yep I have loads of car seats lol!

Def no car seat no car! Not that I use the car anymore since I have moved anyway as everything within easy walking distance:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I have children in car seats, sometimes up to 12 year olds, it all depends on the age of the child

The law says that we have to use seats if they are there except when in an emergency situation or unplanned use, i.e. taking a friend home

I think you will find that all childminders have the correct seats and therefore the question wouldn't even arise but I find that parents and friends think differently and sometimes don't even belt their children in.

ajs
30-07-2010, 09:58 PM
not only do i use the correct car seats in the car but i insist on taking car seats if we're going on a coach too
much to the annoyance of other minders and parents who hadn't taken seats for their children

anklebiters
30-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi all, sorry to jump in on your conversation. I have a seven seater car, it wasn't until recently that I discovered on the www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm website that children may travel without the use of a car seat if two occupied child restraints prevents fitment of a third. So on my bench seat I have two car seats fitted, leaving the middle seat which just has a lap belt free. On the odd occasion that all of the seats are occupied by other children, I would put my child in the middle without a car seat. I believe this also applies to 5 seater cars.

:D x

snufflepuff
31-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all, sorry to jump in on your conversation. I have a seven seater car, it wasn't until recently that I discovered on the www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm website that children may travel without the use of a car seat if two occupied child restraints prevents fitment of a third. So on my bench seat I have two car seats fitted, leaving the middle seat which just has a lap belt free. On the odd occasion that all of the seats are occupied by other children, I would put my child in the middle without a car seat. I believe this also applies to 5 seater cars.

I remember reading this. Personally i still wouldn't do it, unless perhaps it was my own child and they we're nearly old enough/ tall enough to travel without a seat. And only if we really had no other choice. As it happens i have 3 one year olds so theres no way i'd have one of them in the car without a proper car seat. I had to buy a people carrier because i couldn't fit the 3 seats in the back of my old car, even though it was 3 independednt seats rather than a bench seat!

clio0602
31-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Me too! Just trying to find the right combination so I can fit them all in!!!

Monkey26
31-07-2010, 05:48 PM
A friend asked me the other day how many car seats i have (wanted to borrow one for a weekend) so i counted them and realised i have now escalated to 11!!! OH DEAR!!!

1 rear facing baby carrier
2 forward facing isofix with 5 point harness
2 high back with 5 point harness
2 high back booster
2 skinny fit booster seats (for the boot seats as they are a bit narrower)
2 normal booster seats!

I have the necessary in my work car and then all the others are either stored in the spare room or our 'family' car ... much to my partners dismay!!!

I often see a couple of childminders in my area driving around with kids not on car seats... grrr!!! I always reassure parents of my stock of carseats, even taking one out to the car on a dark wet evening to show her!

I always keep the skinny fit booster seats in the car so in the event of not having a car seat, for whatever reason, at least i have something which is better than nothing right?? - did that make sense?? xx

blue bear
01-08-2010, 06:05 PM
would never have thought of putting children in car with out appropriate seats.

Your friend would be breaking the law surely apart from 'emergency' or can't fit three across.

I'm lucky there are two built into my car which convert from baby seats to boosters so they are always available.