PDA

View Full Version : Things getting desperate

Jules27
29-07-2010, 09:24 PM
:( Well over the last 3 months 2 parents lost their jobs, another halved their hours so my income has nose dived. I've gone from being full to bursting to being desperate for enquiries. I've got a few new mindees for odd days here and there over hols and one new p/t in september but will be earning around £70 a week - need to be on at least £100 p/w to cover my out goings. I've had 2 people round all went well but heard nothing. Have emailed got no reply - i'm too chicken to phone!!! Going to have to start looking for another job as simply can not survive like this :(

chibault
29-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Jules, you aren't alone most people have financial struggles, especially during a recession. My hubby's work has nigh on disappeared. It's scary and I'm doing my best to be calm and deal with it.

Can you find other ways to supplement your income? Babysitting? Do you know your local cms? Can you let them know you can cover their sick leave/ summer hols? Can you call your local nct group and then go to their weekly meets and give leaflets, chat to the parents there to see if they need childcare?

Hoping your luck turns around soon and you are full to bursting again!
Becky x

singlewiththree
30-07-2010, 06:28 AM
I'm having the same problem, lost 3 mindees in the last month due to redundancy and moving on and now I have 1 mindee only 1 day a week so going to be earning £30 a week from Sept. I am a single mum so the only income earner and am hoping that the redundancy parent gets a new job, she is trying. I've also asked my local network about social services children but haven't heard from that yet either. I've advertised like mad but nothing that I can do as they are all for the other school.

The Juggler
30-07-2010, 07:10 AM
how about ask in the local children's centre see if they need help with creche work or park play events over the summer holidays hon?

Jules27
30-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks girls. I know i'm not the only one, its just so frustrating, just had email back from one parent I saw and she has found someone else:( gutted as had such a good feeling about that one. Have got everything crossed that my full timers dad finds work soon so she would come back. Just no new enquiries about right now - and there are still many new CM's registering and theres no work about. They have stopped the start up grant now as there are so many about now! Although half hearted -think i will be looking at jobs this afternoon :(

Ripeberry
30-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Sounds like my area. I thought I had a new mindee for September but the mum decided to keep him in the nursery after all (he was not settling and she thought a CM would be better).
Things are desperate even for our pre-schools as one has only 10 children for September and one has even started offering to take children from 2yrs old! :eek:
It is one day a week, on my day off, but got a feeling that mindee's mum will be looking into the pre-school as she has friends who's children go there and they are forever going on about how wonderful it is and it is in a way as they got Outstanding last year.
I'll see how it goes over the next few months, but unless it picks up properly then I can't see myself doing CM this time next year.

May have to got back to wiping old ladies bottoms :(

sandy64
30-07-2010, 10:13 AM
hi im sure things will get better soon its so hard when youre self employed dont no if you claim wt credit? if so if you let them no theyl update your claim. hope you get calls quick:)

Mouse
30-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Could you phone your development officer or Early Years team and ask if they offer any sustainablility grant?

I think it's only available in certain areas, but it's to help cms who are struggling to fill their spaces...and to stop them leaving to look for other jobs!

This is from the Ever Child Matters website. It might be a bit out of date, but itgives you the general idea of howthe grants work.

Childminder Sustainability Grant
Funding is available within the new sustainability grant to ensure that childminders serving areas of disadvantage do not stop childminding because of a short-term lack of children. Funding can be used in a variety of ways as long as it increase the sustainability of childminders by addressing their vacancies.

Examples are:

•Grant scheme – for individual childminders at the rate of up to £100 for five weeks (with any one childminder able to have up to two payments in any 12 months). To qualify the childminder must give evidence of at least a two week vacancy and advertising of that vacancy, and live or operate within a disadvantaged area.
•Providing funds to address the needs of childminders who may have difficulty filling vacancies becuase of lack of suitable toys, customer service or marketing skills, for example by paying for a childminder to attend a course on marketing.
•Creating facilities for marketing childminders and their vacancies:
•enhancing other support for existing childminders, e.g. new toys in local toy libraries
•developing buisness skills of childminders
•employer schemes – encouraging employers to reserve places with childminders and guarantee some

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatters/earlyyears/childminding/funding/childmindingfunding/