PDA

View Full Version : NCMA! Pointless?

BlondeMoment
29-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I hate to put anyone down but has anyone else found NCMA more trouble than they're worth?

It cost alot to join and if you buy their contracts and stuff you're constantly having to buy the refills and that costs too!

I have found they are stressing me out about unnecessary things and telling me to do stuff that isn't important. A few examples:

When I was due my Ofsted pre registration inspection they told me to tie back my pull cord for the kitchen window blinds (way out of reach of even me let alone any children) and when Mrs O came I aplologised that I had nowhere to tie it to and couldn't attach any clip to the wall as we rent our house. She looked at me like I has three heads. NCMA also told me to arrange my DVDs from top to bottom in age appropriate order (U's at the bottom working up to 18's) Well I did this, but we have very few kids DVDs so the 15s were starting on the second shelf up! I explained this to Mrs O when she came and again she laughed and said "Who on earth told you to do that?"

They've not really been any help I've found out most things I need to know from this website (thank you all!). They've told me I need to be keeping records of nappy changes and sleep checks (which most of you on here who have been inspected over and over think is ridiculous)

I think they've stressed me out more than Ofsted themselves. Has anyone else a similar experience with them?

FussyElmo
29-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Do you mean your development officer is telling you these things as I have never spoken to ncma in the entire time I have been with them.

My do is lovely and I never feel and I have never felt stressed with her - there have been others who were not so good but they are there to give advice and try to help and they shouldn't be stressing you. But I dont think you can blame the NCMA for an over zealous do.

As the contracts yes its a pain to buy more things but they need to make money just like any other organisation.

aly
29-07-2010, 09:44 PM
NCMA also told me to arrange my DVDs from top to bottom in age appropriate order (U's at the bottom working up to 18's)

What!!!!!!!!

How ridiculous!
My D.O came out at the beginning and I haven;t heard nothign from them ever since...did ring her a few weeks agon and she hasn't even the decency to ring back...Feb I will not be using them.

Stillgoingstrong
29-07-2010, 10:34 PM
When I was first registered many many years ago I sort of thought that you had to be a member, so I joined. I never ever ever heard from them or had anything to do with them, and obviously realised that I didnt have to be a member so didnt keep it up. I have seen posts on here saying that they get your unpaid fees if you use their contracts, but if you use any of their stuff you'll be paying out more than you will recover so whats the point?? The workshops that they run break into my time off so dont do them - find out what I need online, and safeguarding and things you can do online too.
I first registered 20 years ago and thought that the NCMA were a bit pointless then and still do now. The only thing I will say is that parents dont really know what it is and if in youre advertising you put "member of the NCMA" (obviously only if you ARE!!!) they think its an added feather in your cap. They dont realise that you pay loads and it means nothing:D Lots of people also are great supporters - I'm just not feeling it:thumbsup: Oh, and I have never had a development officer???

Tinglesnark
30-07-2010, 01:30 AM
I agree, I changed my insurers to Morton michel after I needed legal advice and got it a day later when it was too late - in my situation I found them patronising and officious and more concerned that the parent was alright than how I was being treated. I lost out to the tune of £150 because of a loophole on the contract (apparently in order to keep the deposit you mustn't tick any boxes relating to the deposit but It doesn't say so in the notes ... Fun) Naturally that is just my experience and probAbly just my bad luck but there we have it - I'm still a member but have my Insurance elsewhere x

Pipsqueak
30-07-2010, 07:23 AM
AGain, I will strongly urge anyone with a complaint about the NCMA (their services, paperwork etc) to contact the customer services manager Richard Aris. They need to know about what is wrong with their services so that they can make it right. the more people who bother to tell me - especially about the same/similar thing (and even if it was a while ago) then the quicker they start waking up to whats wrong.

BlondeMoment - are you sure it was an NCMA rep who told you all those things or a Development Officer. Not every area has an NCMA worker (we have an NCMA office in our area and the ladies their are smashing).
Remember whatever 'advice' you are given by someone then its just that 'advice' and often their opinion - sometimes its good and correct, other times its just plain daft, sometimes your way is better etc. My network co-ordinator is also a good friend but in her professional role she sometimes makes suggestions and I don't follow them (all the time) as I feel my way is better or I am comfortable with it or I may use her suggestion or adapt it.

BlondeMoment
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
AGain, I will strongly urge anyone with a complaint about the NCMA (their services, paperwork etc) to contact the customer services manager Richard Aris. They need to know about what is wrong with their services so that they can make it right. the more people who bother to tell me - especially about the same/similar thing (and even if it was a while ago) then the quicker they start waking up to whats wrong.

BlondeMoment - are you sure it was an NCMA rep who told you all those things or a Development Officer. Not every area has an NCMA worker (we have an NCMA office in our area and the ladies their are smashing).
Remember whatever 'advice' you are given by someone then its just that 'advice' and often their opinion - sometimes its good and correct, other times its just plain daft, sometimes your way is better etc. My network co-ordinator is also a good friend but in her professional role she sometimes makes suggestions and I don't follow them (all the time) as I feel my way is better or I am comfortable with it or I may use her suggestion or adapt it.

Yes she's my Development Officer i think. She's in charge of my area. In all she's been quite good in that she's been out to see me etc. I just think she's making things harder for me by trying to make me think I have to be doing all this extra stuff that I've not heard anywhere else.

The most recent thing she's told me to do is to write a list of all the toys I have and how each one meets all the 6 learning areas. Aparently it can pass as a long term plan???? Is this right? It's going to take me ages and I've got Ofsted coming very soon. Do you guys think thats neccessary?

manjay
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Not in my opinion no!!! What I will say the more you get involved the more you get out of them. I have loads more to say but not getting stressed today as it is my birthday;)

BlondeMoment
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Not in my opinion no!!! What I will say the more you get involved the more you get out of them. I have loads more to say but not getting stressed today as it is my birthday;)

Oh Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! Have a lovely day whatever you get up to! You'll have to say your "more" another time! Thanks tho x x x

rickysmiths
02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes she's my Development Officer i think. She's in charge of my area. In all she's been quite good in that she's been out to see me etc. I just think she's making things harder for me by trying to make me think I have to be doing all this extra stuff that I've not heard anywhere else.

The most recent thing she's told me to do is to write a list of all the toys I have and how each one meets all the 6 learning areas. Aparently it can pass as a long term plan???? Is this right? It's going to take me ages and I've got Ofsted coming very soon. Do you guys think thats neccessary?

Hi there. Sorry you have had issues with your Development Officer, at least you see yours, I only see mine if I bump into her when I'm doing training.

With regard to the highlighted bit. I have a friend who did a photo album with photos of all her toys, puzzles, games, outside resourses etc. She hadn't linked them to Eyfs because she did it before. It was done in alphabetical order and added picutres of children in the park, at a farm and other places locally they visited.

It is a lovely idea, she did it to show prospective parents because like many of us she can't have all her resourses out at once and it shows the parents the range she has available. The bonus was she found the children enjoyed it and asked for things to play with.

I guess it wouldn't be hard to for her to go through and add something like the NCMA stickers indicating the areas of learning.

I have started taking photos of all my things, I am doing it gradually, I have a lot of stuff!!!

BlondeMoment
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
[/COLOR]

Hi there. Sorry you have had issues with your Development Officer, at least you see yours, I only see mine if I bump into her when I'm doing training.

With regard to the highlighted bit. I have a friend who did a photo album with photos of all her toys, puzzles, games, outside resourses etc. She hadn't linked them to Eyfs because she did it before. It was done in alphabetical order and added picutres of children in the park, at a farm and other places locally they visited.

It is a lovely idea, she did it to show prospective parents because like many of us she can't have all her resourses out at once and it shows the parents the range she has available. The bonus was she found the children enjoyed it and asked for things to play with.

I guess it wouldn't be hard to for her to go through and add something like the NCMA stickers indicating the areas of learning.

I have started taking photos of all my things, I am doing it gradually, I have a lot of stuff!!!

Love that idea! Just not sure I've got anough time before Ofsted come but will def put something like that together in future x:clapping:

caz3007
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Blondemoment - do what you think is right for they way you work.

My DO told me to get parents to sign the diary each day.....ummmm like I dont have enough to do at collection time and its hard enough sometimes to get parents to sign whats actually needed. I have been inspected since and Mrs O didnt comment about my lack of signatures:laughing:

The Juggler
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Not if you've got other things to prepare such as SEF, updating learning journeys hon. It's a lovely though but a bit OTT. I think having a book for the children to choose toys from is more important than showing someone else how they are linked to EYFS:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
02-08-2010, 08:15 PM

AS others have said a bit OTT. You could start a choice/resources book where you photo the equipment/resources and then the children are able to independently browse and choose.
For long term planning - my EY advisor has suggested a quicker method.

Print out the Development Matters sheets; choose an area of learning - ie Sand and Water/Small World/role play/ outdoor etc - colour code of ages that you have and put across the top of the sheet: 'children playing in the area will have the opportunity to:'
then you go through each section and highlight what each child (not per individual child but age group) will have the opportunity (what you think they will get most out of that particular activity - eg - sand and water will not probably meet anything out of ICT so you don't highlight anything).
Et volia Long Term Planning

BlondeMoment
04-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all beng so supportive! WIsh it was over so I could sound like you LOL :)
Wish i could sleep too :yawning:

Porridge
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Ummm sorry.. what's a development officer??? I think i'm a childminder. At least I have been looking after children and registered with ofsted nearly 3 years... And I definately do feel like i've been missing something. Could this be it?! I'm serious - I never heard of a development officer! What do they do? Where can I get one from?!

leeloo1
04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I've just changed insurer to MM too, after I bought the NCMA contracts that said you couldn't charge for bank holidays unless you worked them... then I bought their new ones which said you could charge and not work.

I called them to discuss it and they told me to call their legal team, which I did and they said legally you can't charge for bank holidays unless you work them?!? :mad:

So... thoroughly confused I explained that their (new) contracts said that I could, she apologised and said she didn't have that version of the contract infront of her to check but she took my contact details to call me back. I've not heard from her yet and that was about 3 months ago! :mad: Total rubbish!

Regarding the getting ready for Ofsted thing, do what you can (all the essentials - risk assessments, permission slips signed etc) and things like taking photos of your toys, (for a 'continuous resource book' - means the children can choose what they want to play with - fab thing to do), courses you'd like to go on, areas of your home/garden you'd like to develop etc etc and put it all on a list titled 'Long Term Development Plan' - I did this and Ofsted loved it (cos it shows you're reflecting on your practise!), so much so in fact that when she was writing my report, she asked to look at my list again as she couldn't think of anything for me to improve on! :D

fluffysocks
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
development officers are your ncma point of contact for your area. They can do home visits, trial run inspections, are meant to be the fountain of knowledge for your local area. I have never had a problem with mine and sometimes she does too much and is too helpful! I was put in touch with mine at the first NCMA "welcome to chilminding" meetings when you get your ofsted application pack etc way back when childminding was "just an idea"!

I tend not to speak to her in person much but we touch base occasionally through email, although she is currently pushing for a home visit, apparently here in bedfordshire they like to do them at least yearly. I guess one spin on it is i get my moneys worth from membership. Havent had any cause to call the main call centre as yet.

x

linda2girls
04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I've been registered since April and haven't seen one yet.

Linda.

The Juggler
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Ummm sorry.. what's a development officer??? I think i'm a childminder. At least I have been looking after children and registered with ofsted nearly 3 years... And I definately do feel like i've been missing something. Could this be it?! I'm serious - I never heard of a development officer! What do they do? Where can I get one from?!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Millenium
05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I have struggled over the past couple of years to find any real value in being an NCMA member and will probably not renew my membership next time round. I have never used any of their documentation in the 10 years or so that I have been minding.

As far as contacts with anyone, in all those 10 years, the only person from "officialdom" that I have ever had any contact with is the three-yearly visit from Ofsted. I have never seen anyone from NCMA and didn't know what a Development Officer was until I joined this forum. I call my County Council from time to time to update my profile on direct.gov.uk and get mailings from them twice a year with a training schedule for the forthcoming half-year.

Clearly I have been missing something but I don't think it has caused me any great problems.

rickysmiths
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I've just changed insurer to MM too, after I bought the NCMA contracts that said you couldn't charge for bank holidays unless you worked them... then I bought their new ones which said you could charge and not work.

I called them to discuss it and they told me to call their legal team, which I did and they said legally you can't charge for bank holidays unless you work them?!? :mad:

So... thoroughly confused I explained that their (new) contracts said that I could, she apologised and said she didn't have that version of the contract infront of her to check but she took my contact details to call me back. I've not heard from her yet and that was about 3 months ago! :mad: Total rubbish!

Regarding the getting ready for Ofsted thing, do what you can (all the essentials - risk assessments, permission slips signed etc) and things like taking photos of your toys, (for a 'continuous resource book' - means the children can choose what they want to play with - fab thing to do), courses you'd like to go on, areas of your home/garden you'd like to develop etc etc and put it all on a list titled 'Long Term Development Plan' - I did this and Ofsted loved it (cos it shows you're reflecting on your practise!), so much so in fact that when she was writing my report, she asked to look at my list again as she couldn't think of anything for me to improve on! :D

I really don't know why people seem to get so exersied over Bank Holidays. I find it simple. I am happy to work Bank Holidays but I charge double fee if I am asked to, triple fee for Christmas and New Year Bank holls. So I am available to work, if they choose not to use me and it falls on a contracted day they pay their normal fee. Teir choice not to use me. In 17yrs of Childminding I have worked on Boxing Day for one child. We had a ball and I was paid triple fees.

I have used the NCMA contracts for years and in the bigger picture of taking on a new child and what you are going to earn from them I don't think they are expensive and in fact the MM paper work is more expensive.

I would never cancel my NCMA membership. They do tremendous amount for childminders. Not all areas have NCMA development workers, it depends if the Local Authorities employ them.

However all the country is covered by their areas NCMA Forum and all members are invited to all meetings, if for some reason you ahve not been, phone head office and get the phone number of your Regional Chair. Meetings are held 3 times a year and you have a chance to feed back your ideas on different topics each time, then there are usually speakers/workshops etc and last year Susanna Dawson NCMA Chair visited each of the Regions meetings.

If you ring Head Office they will tell you where your nearest NCMA Childminding Group is where you can meet other childminders.

It is sad to think of someone being so isolated.

Kelly
05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
From my experiece my development officer sometimes does give what I would class as bizzare advice, but as already has been pointed out it is just advice, I just take it or leave it. We all know how fickle Mrs O can be and also how inconsistent they are in inspections. I know my DO is pretty much trying to cover everything, the actual likelyhood of it all being checked is slim, but if the inspector had picked up something, and the DO hadn't mentioned it, would you have still been annoyed at her?

I know it seems like she is trying to make work for you, but i am sure she is just trying to prepare you. I've always been with NCMA, where we live you get the same support if you are a member or not.

TheBTeam
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Going back to your question of the resource linked to the EYFS etc, I have a resource list but my reason for not linking it to EYFS is that it pigeon holes a toy to areas, you would be suprised what some children can find to do with a toy, so i believe that each toy can be used for all areas and the children decide at the time what they are going to do with it.

Well that is my excuse anyway!

wellybelly
06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
My development officer is now called a child care improvment officer but is not anything to do with the NCMA. Shes from the local council and wonderful! I speak to her through email / phone fortnightly and she comes to our network meetings every month. By the sounds of it shes a good one, as I know not all areas get a lot of support. Mine emails me new things she's heard about - good and bad and is always there to give advice. It's a shame it's not like this everywhere.