PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Advertising Advertising

Annabelle
29-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi,

Had my Ofsted pre-reg visit yesterday, all went well and I am suitable to start, just waiting for CRB.

I have advertised on Net Mums and had some possitive response.

Has anyone advertised anywhere else that is free, I dont want to start paying for advertising when I'm not even working yet, but equally I dont want to advertise in places that I am going to get unwanted responses if you know what I mean!!

I am going to be doing term time only, but schools are all now shut for the summer, so kind of missed the boat with cards up in the schools...

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Annabelle

Polly2
29-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Are you listed on the family info site? A website is also a good idea - I have had lots of work from mine :) you can get some free ones on the net and Pauline also designs then at a small fee.

Tell everyone you are a childminder - the more people know the better! Get along to some toddler groups and introduce yourself :thumbsup:

Mookins
29-07-2010, 04:44 PM
childcare.co.uk

free to advertise but you cant contact parents they can can contact you unless yu pay...think theres a discount code on here somewhere if you have been member on here for a certain amount of time

xxx

Annabelle
30-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Thank you!

I wasn't sure whether I could advertise on the Local Government one yet as I am not registered yet...?

I am at stage 4 on my CRB, this will probably be the longest part, but can anyone give me an idea on how long it will be from when I get it back to when I am officially registered?

Annabelle

miffy
30-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think you can register on the fis website until your registration is through.

How long it takes before your crb comes back varies from one part of the country to another - at stage 4 it's on some policeman's desk waiting for them to deal with it.

Have you tried advertising at local playschemes, leisure centres, cinemas, anywhere where families might visit over the holidays?

Miffy xx

Starr870
30-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi, I'm newly registered and my CRBs took six weeks from sending them off to getting them back. The registration cerificate came through within a week or so after that. I have just advertised in our local softplay centre, the doctors surgery, village hall notice board where toddler sessions, Jo Jingles etc is held, and Sainsburys notice board. They are all free to advertise. :)

TinyTinker
01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I've seen minders with boards up in their front gardens and also car signs so that when you are parked around the local area people will see them.

Baileys'n'cream
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
At my pre-reg meeting it was suggested that we get a tshirt printed, with your details on the back (name & number) and wear it everywhere. I think this is a fab idea and am going to do it once I'm registered :D

If you have young children you could take them to a local soft play, whilst wearing the tshirt :D or in your local 'sayers' at dinner time, that seems to be where the whole of my town's children are at the mo :laughing:
Or even just shopping in your local town :)

I saw a childminder wearing a tshirt with their details on whilst at the park on friday, it was actually out of my local area so I approached her and asked her where she got it printed :D

Millenium
02-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Yellow Pages / Thomson Local or similar.

I was sceptical when someone suggested using Yellow Pages to me some years ago but I have had some enquiries through there and it is free. Although the printed edition only comes out once a year, once you complete their registration process your entry goes online straight away. You do need to be aware that it normally shows your full address and postcode (if that's an issue for you), although I think with Yell you can ask for the address to be supressed.

gegele
02-08-2010, 07:08 AM
hello,
never had a message from netmums but all my work comes from childcare.co.uk

the t-shirt sound like a good idea.there are also badge from the ncma you can buy.

after you receive you crb your certicicate should be there within days.

good luck

brightstar
02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
If I have spaces next summer I am going to take a stall at our local carnival. Put on some painting, gluing etc and hand out leaflets. It should be a great way of spreading the word. I'm also thinking of asking some other local minders if they want to take part. Apart from that my car is sign written and I get enquiries from that and childcare.co.uk. Remember that every person that stops to chat about your services potentially talks to 10 more, so word of mouth is brill.

Mookins
02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I was told the direct.gov details will be automatically updated wiwth your details once you are registered

t shirts are great advertising tool
have already ordered 2 with my details on

am also doing leaflets at my local schools and village halls etc and the drs surgery

xx

leahlouise
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
i have been looking in to having a decal done for the back of my car for advertising,:rolleyes:
after looking around and think of a name 4 it :idea: this is what we got back from a company decaljunky.com we order it when all paper work come's though :clapping:

TammyN
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
i advertise on my car :clapping: everyone comments on it!!
i also have t shirts, i got them of Vista, there's always offers on, our local shops have a shop that embroiders so i will be purchasing some more stuff soon off them i think.
get business cards, postcards, etc off internet and so they are ready before you are and get distributing!! make urself known to other childminders at groups etc, word of mouth is fab!
good luck xx

cherry
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I've got a magnetic sign on my car, a board on my gate and a decal on the window of my front door, all free from Vistaprint. (Just pay postage).

I also wear a badge which I bought from NCMA stating that I am a registered childminder. I get a lot of enquires through wearing the badge. :thumbsup:

Pauline
04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I've got a magnetic sign on my car, a board on my gate and a decal on the window of my front door, all free from Vistaprint. (Just pay postage).

I also wear a badge which I bought from NCMA stating that I am a registered childminder. I get a lot of enquires through wearing the badge. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to use the forum Vistaprint (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=888&a=1904267&g=19210880)link if you do, it helps the forum :thumbsup:

We got badges made at our local cobbler shop, they only cost about £4 each with our name and 'Registered Childminder', they help advertise us and also stop people assuming we are the children's grandparents :rolleyes:

Annabelle
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
So I have just recieved an email from Netmums to say that I cannot put anything on there until I am properly registered, they have had problems with Ofsted about this in the past apparently.

I have registered with childcare.co.uk - said someone had viewed my advertisment (although it was just some random childminder somewhere!!)

I had someone visit today, it was good experience but I felt I was a little vague on everything - I didn't want to put her off by going through my policies as we have plenty of time to do that so we just chatted.

My friend who I was supposed to be childminding for is suddenly saying she doesn't need as much care as she initially thought - having just handed my notice in at work (wasn't intending on going back anyway and childminding just came up) I am starting to panic a little.

Ahhh - the stress of it all! (But thank you for all the suggestions -fantastic ideas)

Annabelle
22-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Does anyone use the childcare.co.uk site?

I have registered on it, but felt a little reluctant to pay out for the subscription, have since realised that you can't email anyone unless you pay!! I've tried sneaking my email on there, but doesn't get past the moderator!!

Does anyone know if its worth it??

Graham
22-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Does anyone use the childcare.co.uk site?

I have registered on it, but felt a little reluctant to pay out for the subscription, have since realised that you can't email anyone unless you pay!! I've tried sneaking my email on there, but doesn't get past the moderator!!

Does anyone know if its worth it??

There's a thread about Childcare.co.uk here: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=59947