PDA

View Full Version : Parent may want extra day- charges?

snufflepuff
28-07-2010, 07:39 PM
LO currently comes 2 days a week 8.30-3.30, and she wants another day 8.30-5.30.
The problem is, it is one of the days i do a school run. I would have to get a 5 year old and 3 one year olds to school and back- its a 30 minute walk, and i only have a double buggy. None of the one year olds would stand on the buggy board the whole time. The only way round it is for my Mum to come and sit with my son while i walk to school and back with the 5 year old and 2 one year old mindees. She suggested it and said she would be happy to help, but i want to pay her for it- it's her only day off work most weeks so i can't expect her to get up early for nothing. (I'm going to get her registered as an assistant which will mean i can eventually leave all the one year olds with her while i do the school run, which will be a great help in bad weather.) I have told the parent that i will need to come up with a solution for the school run if i am to take her on for this extra day, but have not mentioned my Mum helping out yet.
Anyway, do you think it would be unreasonable to ask the parent to pay an enhanced fee for the hour that i need to pay my Mum? Im not sure what to do.

FussyElmo
28-07-2010, 07:46 PM
What will you do if your mum cant for any reason come and sit with your son?

I personally wouldnt charge any enhanced fee for the extra hour :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
28-07-2010, 08:14 PM
What will you do if your mum cant for any reason come and sit with your son?

Thanks. I'd have to drive and park over the road from the school, put 2 LOs in the buggy and my son would have to walk over to the school and back to the car with some reins on. So it's not ideal and not something i'd want to do all the time, especially as we have to cross a road, but it would be possible.

The Juggler
28-07-2010, 11:13 PM
i wouldnt' charge an enhanced fee either. As it's not her little one who requires you to go on the school run. I woudl either say you can't do it or maybe investigate a triple. Or what about the ride/sit on buggy boards?

angeldelight
29-07-2010, 12:18 AM
i wouldnt' charge an enhanced fee either. As it's not her little one who requires you to go on the school run. I woudl either say you can't do it or maybe investigate a triple. Or what about the ride/sit on buggy boards?

I agree

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

snufflepuff
29-07-2010, 09:55 AM
We have the sit on buggy board but because of where it is positioned on the buggy, it has to be stood on. The seat part of it is almost under the back seat of the buggy. If they sit on it they have to lean forwards a little and it wouldnt be comfortable.

moljak
29-07-2010, 10:28 AM
does she need the extra day for work purpose or is there a possibility of dropping off after the school run.

gigglinggoblin
29-07-2010, 11:35 AM
could you put one of them in a back carrier?

Chatterbox Childcare
29-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I would get your mum registered so that you can leave them with her but she needs to do her first aid also.

If you pay her you will need to look at it closely as it is a second job and you will be responsible for the tax and ni.

Can't you take your mum with you in the car and you or her run in and collect the other child?

snufflepuff
29-07-2010, 11:42 AM
does she need the extra day for work purpose or is there a possibility of dropping off after the school run.

Yes its for work. I could possibly ask the parent of the other one year old to move her start time from 8.30am to 9.30am because she works from home, but i'd feel a bit rude messing her around for the sake of another parent. Or could tell the schoolies Mum that i can no longer do Wednesdays but the same applies there too really, i'd feel bad!

funemnx
29-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I've seen an add-on seat for a buggy which fits on the side of a single or tandum double buggy. I was thinking of getting one for myself. Would 1 of these be helpful?

sharronej
29-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have just been through a similar thing with my minded children. I've just purchased this
http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/18/4246/buggypod-smorph%C2%B2-pushchair-toddler-seat/
it's really well made and strong, you just need to phone and check whether you need the extra fitting kits for your buggy. I also found some quad buggies although I think you had to order them from NZ and they were around the six hundred mark although you could reduce it to a three or even a twin so it was very practicle.

HTH
Sharron