PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the kids?

BlondeMoment
28-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what you guys do in this situation:

I have a hospital appointment in a few weeks. It will literally be an hour at the most I'm sure. But what can you do with the kids? I can't leave them with anyone can I? Not even for a few hours unless it's an emergency. I tried to change the appointment but if I cancel I can't get another till October so I have to go. I've just had to cancel on the 4 children I'd have on that day and miss out on over £100 days pay (I work 3 long days per week). I'm pretty sure thats my only option but is it?

What do you do if you have to attend something?

Lisa

sillysausage
28-07-2010, 05:46 PM
You need to think about a few things...

Firstly....Is the appointment for something personal? If it is then I would advise having a word with parents to see if they can take some time off so you can attend your appointment. If it isn't personal then.....
How many children you will have?
Will the time of the appointment impact on their normal routines (sleeps and feeds)?
How will parents feel about you taking the children with you?

A hospital can be oh so interesting for little ones and you can go prepared with some books, drawing things, snacks etc so they don't get bored.

I have taken mindees with me to hospital appointments before, once when I had to have blood tests done and one which was a follow up to an ankle problem I had. It's the waiting around that is usually the worst.

edit to add: maybe you could organise something to coincide with your hospital visit...maybe see if there is someone there to give you a tour round, take some toys to the children's ward, have some pretend wounds treated....the possibilities are endless!

BlondeMoment
28-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Not a bad idea. It's nothing intimate. Just about the fact I have Tinittus. I've been really upset about it all tho so I would'nt want eh kids to see me get upset. Tough one

ajs
28-07-2010, 06:00 PM
some times you need to put you and yours first.
my son had a drs appointment that i knew i needed to concentrate on so i took the morning off
the parents were not great about it but in the end i didn't care my son needed the dr and i needed to take him.

actually one mum had all 3 little ones at her house as i knew i would only be an hour or so and she works flexi time

jumpinjen
28-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you have a trusted adult friend that could come with you and keep the children occupied in the appointment room whilst you speak to the doctor then they are not focussed on you if you get upset? Also write down all you want to ask so you remember whilst you are there (I have tinnitus one side too so i know how you find it!)

jenni

Monkey26
28-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I have a bag that it solely used for things like appointments that i have to take children with me too... its a bag that rarely comes out so it tends to keep the little ones amused for longer (if that makes sense!)
Also, if it is something i need to concentrate on or cannot provide 100% attention (eg dentist) i take a friend with me who can be in the same room as us all but deal with any immediate situations that could occur.
Just make sure you make parents aware of situation - giving them the option to send their child in late! Hope all goes well xx

BlondeMoment
28-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Think I may just have to take one for the team here. It's not personal but kind of is. The tinittus really upsets me and the appointment is to discuss ways to cope with it. So with one being 8 and one being 4 they pretty much won't miss a trick so it is kind of personal. Just very annoying when you have to take a whole day off for the sake of an hour :(
Thanks for suggestions guys

Will bear your ideas in mind for trips to dentist etc x

Zoomie
28-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Could you take the morning or afternoon off instead ?

Some parents may be able to accommodate, so there is no harm in asking :idea:

blue bear
28-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I go to the hospital loads, never been a problem taking the children with me, Nurses have played with the children while I talk to doctor. Even had parents come and take their children to cafe while I went in , so we all had an hour off work rather than a whole morning.

I have themed bags I take with me to entertain the children. the children often ask when they can go again!

sillysausage
28-07-2010, 09:41 PM
OK lets go from a different angle.

You have tinnitus...which doesn't involve 'personal' investigations or awkward questions IYSWIM....but you are finding it distressing (understandably).

What do you already know about tinnitus?
What can you tell the children about it beforehand......can you find a noise that you can use to describe to the children how you can hear this thing all the time and you don't get any 'quiet' from it (or link it to your symptoms?).
Maybe you could role play looking in ears with an otoscope (there's usually one in play doctor's sets).
By giving the children some information you are preparing them for what might happen. You would also be giving them a valuable lesson in how to deal with health issues and that hospital visits need not be scary.

My dad has tinnitus, most of the day he finds it 'bearable' because of other noises going on around him. He found it by far the worst at night when it disturbed his ability to get to sleep. He uses a gadget that plays a variety of noises (sea, babbling brook, white noise, etc) and that has helped (to a degree). He was also given some special hearing aids...though to be honest I don't know if they did anything.

Above all do what you feel is right! and what you feel comfortable doing.

Hope it all goes well.

BlondeMoment
29-07-2010, 06:25 PM
OK lets go from a different angle.

You have tinnitus...which doesn't involve 'personal' investigations or awkward questions IYSWIM....but you are finding it distressing (understandably).

What do you already know about tinnitus?
What can you tell the children about it beforehand......can you find a noise that you can use to describe to the children how you can hear this thing all the time and you don't get any 'quiet' from it (or link it to your symptoms?).
Maybe you could role play looking in ears with an otoscope (there's usually one in play doctor's sets).
By giving the children some information you are preparing them for what might happen. You would also be giving them a valuable lesson in how to deal with health issues and that hospital visits need not be scary.

My dad has tinnitus, most of the day he finds it 'bearable' because of other noises going on around him. He found it by far the worst at night when it disturbed his ability to get to sleep. He uses a gadget that plays a variety of noises (sea, babbling brook, white noise, etc) and that has helped (to a degree). He was also given some special hearing aids...though to be honest I don't know if they did anything.

Above all do what you feel is right! and what you feel comfortable doing.

Hope it all goes well.

Yes my Mum has it too so she's given me a sound machine for night times. To be honest I'm pretty upset about it and think I'd rather just deal with it without taking them along. but thanks