PDA

View Full Version : Reins V toddler backpack

Ripeberry
28-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Been out for a lovely day at Bristol zoo and 23 month old mindee walked most of the time with his toddler backpack.

When my own girls were small I always used reins and found them great for stopping them from falling flat on their faces and I had control!

The toddler backpacks in my view are actually worse as the 'lead' look just like a dog lead :rolleyes: , it can wind around a child's neck :( and my eldest kept 'tying' up the mindee to fences when she wanted to do something.

I think I'll invest in some reins of my own as I don't feel comfortable using the backpack.

What do you think?

sarah707
28-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I have always used reins and find them great for holding children up like you say.

I think they are well balanced as well since they sit comfortably across the chest rather than those bags where it's a thin bit of plastic.

:D

BlondeMoment
28-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree. Think they look much more comfey too. They're not expensive if you buy from the right places x

margaret
28-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I feel more comfortable using reins than backpack ,i feel as if i have no control and child is going to end up flat on face.

Ripeberry
28-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Glad you agree, another thing that was a bit 'bad' about the backpack is that the mindee could undo the clip!

Off to get some reins :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
28-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I have little life backpacks and prefer them to reins.

The parent-strap is longer than normal toddler reins enabling me to have 2 hands on the buggy if needed without dragging the child under the buggy wheels. It also has a padded wrist band at the end so you can loop it over your wrist. The child feels more grown up wearing his/her backpack. The ones I use have padded shoulder straps and a single clipped strap bit that goes across the chest. My older (4YO) mindees can undo them but do not do so because they know they're not allowed to. Similarly my mindes to not tie each other up nor do they try to strangle themselves or each other, lol! Kind of lucky really, imagine writing that one up! :laughing:

The kiddies like to carry their own drinks and it gives them a feeling of being 'big' like the schooled children.

I had three 2 year olds in them and found it very much easier to manage them all with backpacks than with reins as they could get further away from each other so didn't tend to get tangled up or trip over each other.

They have fallen over with them on before and its true that you cannot easily yank them back up like you can with ordinary reins but for me the positives outweigh that one negative. Also the strap looks like a lead, but it is a lead so no surprise there really. Just because it is a lead doesn't mean I treat the children like dogs and if anybody (public) is ever rude enough to say anything I'd politely point out the positives but tbh everybody we've met has said how brilliant they are :)

crazyhazy
28-07-2010, 07:24 PM
I have used both, reins when they've just started walking cos you have a bit more control, but now my youngest is 22m I find her little life back pack great. She carries her little books in it and a drink so she's happy to wear it and it means I can still push the buggy while holding onto the wrist strap.

jo f
28-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I use reigns with littlies more control, safer etc. I use little lives back pack for older pre schoolers, look more grown up do give bit more freedom but can and have been undone. But I do like them! only for older ones.

SamBaker
28-07-2010, 08:26 PM
My two year old daughter has a back pack, which is greatas she doesnt mind wearing it and she can carry teddy in it, brilliant for putting my keys in when I havnt got pockets too lol! BUT, she can sneak out of it very easily when I am looking away, I have walked off before thinking she was with me only to look round and she was doing a runner in the other direction!!
My other daughter hated reins and would never wear them, I think it's just personal preference.

clio0602
28-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to get dd 27mths a backpack as the length of the reins is too short for me to steer buggy with 2 hands. She also gets pulled elbow so will not hold her hand as my natural reaction would be to try to stop her falling and pulling her elbow out :panic:

Anyway I was just wondering, as she is stil quite prone to tripping over nothing, are the "leads" on the backpacks substantial enough to catch them before they fall or would they break? x

Ripeberry
28-07-2010, 09:48 PM
The leads are quite long, but you have to be very carefull that they don't strangle themselves on it, for example turn on the spot, the lead is in the perfect position for that to happen :(

beerheaven
28-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I have little life backpacks and prefer them to reins.

The parent-strap is longer than normal toddler reins enabling me to have 2 hands on the buggy if needed without dragging the child under the buggy wheels. It also has a padded wrist band at the end so you can loop it over your wrist. The child feels more grown up wearing his/her backpack. The ones I use have padded shoulder straps and a single clipped strap bit that goes across the chest. My older (4YO) mindees can undo them but do not do so because they know they're not allowed to. Similarly my mindes to not tie each other up nor do they try to strangle themselves or each other, lol! Kind of lucky really, imagine writing that one up! :laughing:

The kiddies like to carry their own drinks and it gives them a feeling of being 'big' like the schooled children.

I had three 2 year olds in them and found it very much easier to manage them all with backpacks than with reins as they could get further away from each other so didn't tend to get tangled up or trip over each other.

They have fallen over with them on before and its true that you cannot easily yank them back up like you can with ordinary reins but for me the positives outweigh that one negative. Also the strap looks like a lead, but it is a lead so no surprise there really. Just because it is a lead doesn't mean I treat the children like dogs and if anybody (public) is ever rude enough to say anything I'd politely point out the positives but tbh everybody we've met has said how brilliant they are :)

I agree with all your comments!!

I have had one for my son since he started toddling. Now at aged 2 and a half he still happily wears it with all his possessions tucked away!

I feel totally in control when using it and am planning on buying another one for my youngest mindee.

theplayroom
29-07-2010, 06:23 AM
I think the packpack is great for when they are older, my daughter is nearly 3 and loves he backpack, carrying her drink and spare knickers in it. I agree they are not too good for helping walk or balance etc bu we use it in addition to hand holding with it slipped through my wrist just in case she runs off. But reigns i found were better for younger ones who need to support.

BlondeMoment
29-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the packpack is great for when they are older, my daughter is nearly 3 and loves he backpack, carrying her drink and spare knickers in it. I agree they are not too good for helping walk or balance etc bu we use it in addition to hand holding with it slipped through my wrist just in case she runs off. But reigns i found were better for younger ones who need to support.

Definately! Think you've hit the nail on the head! It's all down to their age! :clapping: