PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid Childcare Fees

patevans
28-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I have had a parent (after school child) book overtime during the school holidays - full days rather than just after school, he was due to pay Monday and has come in everyday saying sorry i've only got a £1 to my name waiting for my mate to pay me some money he owes me, so up to yet he has had 3 full days of childcare for free and this child eats like a grown man (shes is the size of a 12 year old and shes just 7) so my food bill this week has been huge!!

I have put late charges on obviously 2 days up to yet and he knows its being added daily, is this all I can do until he pays?

onceinabluemoon
28-07-2010, 04:53 PM
if you're using MM contracts you can withdraw childcare until he pays up (it's written into their contracts that I have but do check your own in case they are newer/older).

It appears that if you're with NCMA there's not a lot you can do.

The Juggler
28-07-2010, 11:18 PM
i would also be saying no more care until bill is paid :(

funfunfun
29-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Id call text what ever suits you and explain that you will need the fees ........if not then you wont be caring for xxx until he does

angeldelight
29-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Let us know what you decide to do

Hope he pays up though real soon

Angel xx

Stillgoingstrong
29-07-2010, 06:33 AM
if you're using MM contracts you can withdraw childcare until he pays up (it's written into their contracts that I have but do check your own in case they are newer/older).

It appears that if you're with NCMA there's not a lot you can do.

Regardless of who I was with I would refuse childcare until he pays what he owes. If I only had £1 to my name I wouldn't go to Asda to do a full weeks shopping, or go and get my hair done as they would HAVE to be paid, so why let him get away with this???? He is taking the P. No money, no care:D

Hebs
29-07-2010, 06:40 AM
as it's overtime and not what was agreed in the contracti would definatly be saying no more childcare until fee's are paid :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
29-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Regardless of who I was with I would refuse childcare until he pays what he owes. If I only had £1 to my name I wouldn't go to Asda to do a full weeks shopping, or go and get my hair done as they would HAVE to be paid, so why let him get away with this???? He is taking the P. No money, no care:D

I am inclined to agree with you. My feelings over this having been caught, are that they have breached their Contract and therefore I will not carry on offering care because with no Contract I would not be insured and I would be breaking the terms of my Registration with OFSTED.

However I would advise you to write to him explaining this, confirming that you have now applied your late fees and giving notice as per your contract and you will provide care for only the next week.

If all fees are paid up to date by this time care will continue as per Contract as long as the fees are paid in cash on the first day of care each week. If all fees are not paid care will cease, the notice period will continue to run at the end of which if fees are not paid in full care will completely cease and you will have to put the matter in the hands of your Solicitor. You should also warn him that any action taken as a result could affect his Credit Rating.

This way you are gathering evidence that you have warned him of the concequences of his actions. Also you are giving him a fair chance to sort the situation out. Doing it this way you probably not charge for the notice period as you have refused care at lease you will not be working for nothing.

When you do any new Contract consider what I do now having been stung. I take a 4 week fees Deposit wether they sign a month before care starts or the day before. It is clearly stated on the Contract that this is non refundable. However I do tell the parents that as long as all fees are up to date at the time notice is given I would normally use the deposit to cover the last 4 weeks fees. (the notice period)

I am also always paid in advance on the first Monday of the Month. There are no exceptions to this rule, I may have lost potential parents because of it, I don't know, however I am always full and the parents I have never have a problem. I have in a few circumstances allowed the Deposit to be paid over 2 months.

What it means of course is that I am always at least 4 weeks ahead of the game with fees so at the first hint of non payment I give 1 week plus late fees to get sorted and then I serve written notice. In the last 5 years I have only had do do this once when a parents cheque bounced for the second time. I insisted on cash payment from then and late payment never happened again.

It makes me made when this happens, so often parents seem to think all other bills are more important than paying for their Childcare. It is a massive problem for a lot of Day Nurseries as well so we are not alone.

patevans
29-07-2010, 07:07 AM
as it's overtime and not what was agreed in the contracti would definatly be saying no more childcare until fee's are paid :thumbsup:

I cant cancel now shes due in a minute :panic:

they are going on holiday next week so she wont be in :rolleyes:

miffy
29-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I hope you get some money this morning!

I bet they will have enough money to go on holiday with! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Hebs
29-07-2010, 07:11 AM

BINGO
they want to keep the money for spending money

and you can refuse to have her even when they turn up at the door :D

rickysmiths
29-07-2010, 07:18 AM

I would, no money no care. It makes me so mad they will have paid for their holiday if they can't afford Childcare then don't have a holiday.

patevans
29-07-2010, 07:28 AM
So ideally how long should i havw left it until applying a suspension on care?

Hebs
29-07-2010, 07:45 AM
48 hours i'd say :thumbsup:

is the child there?

patevans
29-07-2010, 07:48 AM
48 hours i'd say :thumbsup:

is the child there?

not yet, maybe i should put it in my policies about 48 hours of unpaid fees = suspension on childcare?

Hebs
29-07-2010, 07:51 AM
not yet, maybe i should put it in my policies about 48 hours of unpaid fees = suspension on childcare?

NO be strong

tell dad you cant look after child unless fees are paid and send him to the cashpoint :thumbsup:

patevans
29-07-2010, 07:53 AM
NO be strong

tell dad you cant look after child unless fees are paid and send him to the cashpoint :thumbsup:

I mean for any future problems with anyone, I dont feel I can enforce it without it being in my policies...im a whimp :blush:

I've got a feeling his wages are due to tomorrow and thats when he'll cough up :idea:

patevans
29-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Childs here and still no money :eek:

Hebs
29-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Childs here and still no money :eek:

you're mad :thumbsup:

cuffleygirl
29-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Could you hold the kid for ransom??? ;) Or would that make the parents day? :laughing:

patevans
29-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Could you hold the kid for ransom??? ;)

No thanks :panic:

:laughing:

I just said to her oh what did you have for tea last night...

we went to the shop and brought pizza, crisps and drinks :angry:

caz3007
29-07-2010, 10:59 AM
No thanks :panic:

:laughing:

I just said to her oh what did you have for tea last night...

we went to the shop and brought pizza, crisps and drinks :angry:

I would like to know where they went to buy all that for £1.

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I mean for any future problems with anyone, I dont feel I can enforce it without it being in my policies...im a whimp :blush:

I've got a feeling his wages are due to tomorrow and thats when he'll cough up :idea:

you can. they have breached the terms of your contract by not paying for services

patevans
29-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I would like to know where they went to buy all that for £1.

bet they go and buy the same tonight!

patevans
29-07-2010, 01:26 PM
you can. they have breached the terms of your contract by not paying for services

oh yeh didnt think of that! can anyone help me draft a letter asap to send home tonight please?

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 01:42 PM
is this their last day before their hols? and, are they up to date with 'normal' contracted hours payments?

I would have a letter saying:

"
Payment for the holiday cover used this week is now overdue. Please try to pay this before you go on holiday as late fees of £xx will apply from today's date in order to cover expenses and bank charges incurred as a result of late payment. Our contract states that I will provide childcare and that you undertake to pay for childcare received on time.

When you return from your holiday please ensure that payment is brought up to date for childcare already provided as I will be unable to provide further care until such time as this account is settled.

I really do not want to have to suspend childcare or to see you accumulate late fees over the next 2? weeks so I hope we can resolve this before you go away."

I would call them in for a chat tonight, have a copy of letter in hand, and explain what it says then give them a sealed copy of the letter to take away.

Also from now on, I would have a booking form for holiday cover. They book in dates with you and sign to undertake to pay for such ad-hoc cover BEFORE it is provided to you.

Bushpig
29-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I would be on the phone NOW, asking for payment immediately. They will be to holiday next week and you won't have been paid :eek:

patevans
29-07-2010, 01:45 PM
is this their last day before their hols? and, are they up to date with 'normal' contracted hours payments?

I would have a letter saying:

"
Payment for the holiday cover used this week is now overdue. Please try to pay this before you go on holiday as late fees of £xx will apply from today's date in order to cover expenses and bank charges incurred as a result of late payment. Our contract states that I will provide childcare and that you undertake to pay for childcare received on time.

When you return from your holiday please ensure that payment is brought up to date for childcare already provided as I will be unable to provide further care until such time as this account is settled.

I really do not want to have to suspend childcare or to see you accumulate late fees over the next 2? weeks so I hope we can resolve this before you go away."

I would call them in for a chat tonight, have a copy of letter in hand, and explain what it says then give them a sealed copy of the letter to take away.

Also from now on, I would have a booking form for holiday cover. They book in dates with you and sign to undertake to pay for such ad-hoc cover BEFORE it is provided to you.

This is already in place :thumbsup: he filled in all the days he required overtime. He also needs to pay me for next weeks reatiner before he goes away :rolleyes:

patevans
29-07-2010, 01:49 PM
How about this -

Re: Unpaid Childcare fees

Dear *****,
As Invoice number 151 still remains unpaid I am suspending childcare until all fees are paid up to date this includes payment for next week’s invoice number 152 which is due to be paid tomorrow, please note the late fee charge is £5 per day including weekends and this is still being added daily.

I have attached a copy of the fees policy which clearly states - If payment is not received on the specific payment day stated on your contract then care will be suspended until your account is back up to date and late fees will be added daily.

Yours Sincerely,

I have just text him and said any luck with fees and his reply....still trying

patevans
29-07-2010, 01:53 PM
My policies say -

If payment is not received on the specific payment day stated on your contract then care will be suspended until your account is back up to date and late fees will be added daily

:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
29-07-2010, 02:43 PM
oh yeh didnt think of that! can anyone help me draft a letter asap to send home tonight please?

I did a few posts back and pointed out that as they are in breach of contract you will not be insured and as you don't have a valid contract and you are also in breach of your registration with ofsted .

These parents are stringing you along.

rickysmiths
29-07-2010, 02:44 PM
My policies say -

If payment is not received on the specific payment day stated on your contract then care will be suspended until your account is back up to date and late fees will be added daily

:thumbsup:

Then why haven't you suspended care?

patevans
29-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Then why haven't you suspended care?

I had only just checked it was in the policies :blush: I am a whimp and hate confrontation and also never had any probs b4 so was giving him the benefit of the doubt :rolleyes:

Is the above letter ok?

patevans
29-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I am inclined to agree with you. My feelings over this having been caught, are that they have breached their Contract and therefore I will not carry on offering care because with no Contract I would not be insured and I would be breaking the terms of my Registration with OFSTED.

However I would advise you to write to him explaining this, confirming that you have now applied your late fees and giving notice as per your contract and you will provide care for only the next week.

If all fees are paid up to date by this time care will continue as per Contract as long as the fees are paid in cash on the first day of care each week. If all fees are not paid care will cease, the notice period will continue to run at the end of which if fees are not paid in full care will completely cease and you will have to put the matter in the hands of your Solicitor. You should also warn him that any action taken as a result could affect his Credit Rating.

This way you are gathering evidence that you have warned him of the concequences of his actions. Also you are giving him a fair chance to sort the situation out. Doing it this way you probably not charge for the notice period as you have refused care at lease you will not be working for nothing.

When you do any new Contract consider what I do now having been stung. I take a 4 week fees Deposit wether they sign a month before care starts or the day before. It is clearly stated on the Contract that this is non refundable. However I do tell the parents that as long as all fees are up to date at the time notice is given I would normally use the deposit to cover the last 4 weeks fees. (the notice period)

I am also always paid in advance on the first Monday of the Month. There are no exceptions to this rule, I may have lost potential parents because of it, I don't know, however I am always full and the parents I have never have a problem. I have in a few circumstances allowed the Deposit to be paid over 2 months.

What it means of course is that I am always at least 4 weeks ahead of the game with fees so at the first hint of non payment I give 1 week plus late fees to get sorted and then I serve written notice. In the last 5 years I have only had do do this once when a parents cheque bounced for the second time. I insisted on cash payment from then and late payment never happened again.

It makes me made when this happens, so often parents seem to think all other bills are more important than paying for their Childcare. It is a massive problem for a lot of Day Nurseries as well so we are not alone.

Sorry didnt see this post before :blush:

rickysmiths
29-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry didnt see this post before :blush:

Thats ok But be strong and in light of your own Policy stick to your guns tonight.

Hit home that you have been over kind in continuing the care and trusting that they would pay you. Also be tough and say if the bill isn't paid tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest in full there will be no care for them when they get back from holiday and none in Sept either, but there will be a solicitors letter waiting for them.

Good luck.

patevans
29-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Thats ok But be strong and in light of your own Policy stick to your guns tonight.

Hit home that you have been over kind in continuing the care and trusting that they would pay you. Also be tough and say if the bill isn't paid tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest in full there will be no care for them when they get back from holiday and none in Sept either, but there will be a solicitors letter waiting for them.

Good luck.

How does this sound now?

Dear *****,
As Invoice number 151 still remains unpaid you are in breach of the childminding Contract and therefore I will not carry on offering care because with no Contract I will not be insured and I would be breaking the terms of my Registration with OFSTED. Care will be suspended until all fees are paid up to date this includes payment for next week’s invoice number 152 which is due to be paid tomorrow, please note the late fee charge is £5 per day including weekends and this is still being added daily.

If the bill isn't paid in full by tomorrow night at the latest there will be no care available when your return from your holiday.

I have attached a copy of the fees policy which clearly states - If payment is not received on the specific payment day stated on your contract then care will be suspended until your account is back up to date and late fees will be added daily.

Yours Sincerely,

Trouble
29-07-2010, 03:07 PM
i would add on and it will be in the hands of the ncma solicitors or something like that:D

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 03:18 PM
This is already in place :thumbsup: he filled in all the days he required overtime. He also needs to pay me for next weeks reatiner before he goes away :rolleyes:

well if he signed a form hon then he's def. broken his agreed terms even though it's for ad-hoc care rather than contracted hours.

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 03:20 PM
How does this sound now?

Dear *****,
As Invoice number 151 still remains unpaid you are in breach of the childminding Contract and therefore I will not carry on offering care because with no Contract I will not be insured and I would be breaking the terms of my Registration with OFSTED. Care will be suspended until all fees are paid up to date this includes payment for next week’s invoice number 152 which is due to be paid tomorrow, please note the late fee charge is £5 per day including weekends and this is still being added daily.

If the bill isn't paid in full by tomorrow night at the latest there will be no care available when your return from your holiday.

Yours Sincerely,

good - a no messing around letter. like the bit about contract is broken, therefore no insurance:thumbsup:

blue bear
29-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I had this once, told them I needed the money to pay back the person I had borrowed from because they had not paid me on time, paid up straight away no problem since. I think sometimes parents don't realise we rely on our money from our job to pay bills!!

Andrea08
29-07-2010, 03:27 PM
i would add on and it will be in the hands of the ncma solicitors or something like that:D

i have just been through this very treatment to the sum of £1225...

x2 children should be with me for the 6wk hols i turned down work because i should have then..

parent not answering phone etc
i looked on my fb and wow she wants to add me (i dont add parents or children as a golden rule)
but i added her so i could contact her and told her that ncma said to give you till the end of the week and if you dont get intouch they will take over for me

20 mins later a very sad and sorry pm and i picked the girls up next morning and got first wks pay today..

i have learned a valuable lesson dont count ya chickens till they hatch
and i also have a 2wk deposit at sign of contract ... they want their money bk at end or i keep it in leu of notice!!!

good luck with it ... parents are the hardest part of this job
xxx

patevans
29-07-2010, 04:18 PM
he just picked up and said well I still haven't got your money :eek:

So I gave him the letter and explained care is suspended until its all brought up to date etc etc and his reply.....

well I might see you tomorrow or I might not and off he trotted!!

:eek: :eek:

Hebs
29-07-2010, 04:35 PM
he just picked up and said well I still haven't got your money :eek:

So I gave him the letter and explained care is suspended until its all brought up to date etc etc and his reply.....

well I might see you tomorrow or I might not and off he trotted!!

:eek: :eek:

his loss :panic:

Andrea08
29-07-2010, 04:41 PM
:angry:

ncma came out today partent page four top tips "2" Pay on Time
photo copy and give to all parents

the nerve of parents i wish all mine had shops i would go shopping and say at the till...oh when you pay me my childcare ill pay for my shopping pmsl

miffy
29-07-2010, 04:54 PM
his loss :panic:

Until fluffyemma gets her money it's her loss too! :eek:

Hope I'm wrong but right now that's not looking too promising.

Miffy xx

patevans
29-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Until fluffyemma gets her money it's her loss too! :eek:

Hope I'm wrong but right now that's not looking too promising.

Miffy xx

Dont think i'll be getting it either :angry:

Hebs
29-07-2010, 05:19 PM
nor do i but i also dont think he had any intention of paying it, so better to end it now before it all mounts up and working for nothing :panic:

patevans
29-07-2010, 05:21 PM
nor do i but i also dont think he had any intention of paying it, so better to end it now before it all mounts up and working for nothing :panic:

I find it all very strange, shes been here 2 years and never had a problem :rolleyes:

mrs c
29-07-2010, 05:44 PM
You may not have had a problem with them in the past but perhaps this month they have overspent a little and are probably keeping back their money to make sure they have plenty to spend on holiday. Trouble is that you - along with lots of other childminders - are bottom of the pecking order list. I had one who would often be late with payments but would still pay me. That is until she got married and had one of the most expensive hotels in the area for her reception. Then paying me became a low priority for her. Funny thing was every night she collected, I still expected her to come with some money. Never happened.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Joannechildmind
29-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I find it all very strange, shes been here 2 years and never had a problem :rolleyes:

is this the family that separated and you wasn't sure if they would be coming to you?

patevans
29-07-2010, 06:24 PM
is this the family that separated and you wasn't sure if they would be coming to you?

no she left...lets not even go there with that one :angry:

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 06:26 PM
oh hon. hope you get your money, I really do. well done for being strong. this will make them realize they can't deny you your money because they are a bit short for their hols.:angry:

patevans
29-07-2010, 06:37 PM
oh hon. hope you get your money, I really do. well done for being strong. this will make them realize they can't deny you your money because they are a bit short for their hols.:angry:

The way I feel with childminding at the minute I couldn't care less about the money, I have bent over backwards for all 4 families and 3 of them have stabbed me in the back! :angry:

Joannechildmind
29-07-2010, 07:00 PM
no she left...lets not even go there with that one :angry:

ok sorry :o

Joannechildmind
29-07-2010, 07:00 PM
The way I feel with childminding at the minute I couldn't care less about the money, I have bent over backwards for all 4 families and 3 of them have stabbed me in the back! :angry:

hope you get your money tomorrow.

patevans
29-07-2010, 07:01 PM
ok sorry :o

haha no problem :laughing:

thats in another post!!! :D

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 08:31 PM

oh hon, I'm sorry. those you workwith can make your job hell or great, that's true if you work in an office, a nursery or with parents in childminding.

Here's to 4 lovely new sets of parents finding you soon. When you have great parents this job is lovelyx

patevans
30-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I got my fees :clapping:

he has also paid the late charge for today but do I charge it for today as the fees have only just been recieved?

miffy
30-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I got my fees :clapping:

he has also paid the late charge for today but do I charge it for today as the fees have only just been recieved?
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's great news - just smile sweetly and accept what he's given you :D

Miffy xx

The Juggler
30-07-2010, 12:51 PM
that's fab. dont' think he'll be paying late again. Go you:clapping: :clapping:

patevans
30-07-2010, 12:53 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's great news - just smile sweetly and accept what he's given you :D

Miffy xx

:clapping: :clapping:

patevans
30-07-2010, 12:54 PM
that's fab. dont' think he'll be paying late again. Go you:clapping: :clapping:

:clapping: :clapping:

marzi
30-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Blimey that was a bit of a surprise, nice one though! Good for you for sticking to your guns.

Joannechildmind
30-07-2010, 04:14 PM
im really pleased for you :clapping: sometimes you gotta get tough with em. :(

patevans
30-07-2010, 04:16 PM
im really pleased for you :clapping: sometimes you gotta get tough with em. :(

Now I have got tough I am staying tough :thumbsup: