PDA

View Full Version : Plasters

SonnysMummy
01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I've done a search on this and read about what everyone does regarding applying plasters...hypo-allergenic adhesive dressing:D
Anyway...i'm still confused because at our briefing session the lady in charge said that we cannot apply plasters. If the child cuts themselves, scraps their knee etc, we can only wipe it with an anti-bacterial wipe. If after doing this the wound doesn't stop bleeding then we have to ring parents and ask them to come to put on a plaster of take their child home!!! This seems absurd to me...how can a parent get out of work to put a plaster on???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When i worked in a nursery we couldn't use plasters...only wipe the wound. But it's not hygienic to leave an open wound, surely?
I've emailed ofsted but they haven't replied.
What do i do?

Kelly :)

crazybones
02-04-2008, 07:32 AM
I have signed permission from parents to use hypo-allergenic adhesive dressings. Inspector saw it when I was "done" 2 weeks ago and never said a word. :thumbsup:

angeldelight
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree with Annie I do the same

But I have heard all of those things you are saying

It is madness and confusing

Oh OFSTED have not replied what a surprise NOT
Let us know if they decide to get back to you

In the meantime I would do the same as what most of us seem to do here

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Have you done your First Aid Training yet?

They (first aid) don't tell you not to use "plasters" - you would use a dressing but for our purposes if the cut it small enough then you use a "plaster".
If it is a big wound and doesn't stop bleeding then yes you either need to seek further help and/or call the parents to deal with.

Hope you followed that (problem is I know what I am on about even if no one else does:D )

SonnysMummy
02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah i did my first aid training through my job in the nursery. I did it 2 years ago so it's still ok for a year.
Think i'll probably do what everyone else is doing then. I'll write it in my policy and do a permission form and wait for ofsted to reply...
Thanks for replies:)

Kelly:)

miffy
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree with the others I have written permission from parents to apply plasters and as we are supposed to follow parent's wishes I think that's all I need :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Amanda
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Personally, I don't like plasters. I think they keep a wound too wet and don't allow the skin to breathe - they'r also a nightmare to get off. Had a wound got infected when I was little because dad forgot to take plaster off - left a horrible scar. I've had mindees come to me with the same plaster on all week beacuse they scream when mum tries to take it off. Superdrug do great 'enhanced healing' dressings. They are totally breathable and the wound heals underneath - not like plasters. I use them all the time, they're great for blisters after a night on the town too!!!

Amanda

devoncm
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
I dont use plasters anymore as when on holiday my daughter had a bad foot as new sandals rubbed so applied plaster thinking this would help but it just ripped the skin in another place so then she had two sores on her foot-that wasnt good as it was quite a bit of walking we done!!!!!