PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations - double buggy please!

sarah707
28-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I need a lightweight double (side by side) buggy with independent lie back (full for a baby).

The lightweight bit is important as we have lots of hills!!

Narrow is fairly important - I have a MacLaren double and it won't go through my back door which is a bit of a pain.

I'm looking at the Graco duo sport which is nice and light but I'm not keen on the bar across the front which just seems to add to the weight.

Any advice please guys? :D

Mouse
28-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Are all Maclarens the same width? I've got the Twin Triumph and it does fit through my front door with a bit of a jiggle!

I had the Graco Duo Sport a few years ago & really didn't get on with it. It was odd to push & tipped forwards very easily when you went up or down pavements etc. It seemd oddly weighted. I didn't keep it for very long.

rachelle
28-07-2010, 08:24 AM
the out and about nipper 360 should go through doors, is light weight and a dream to push. It's the most recommended buggy in twins circles - suitable from birth :)

gegele
28-07-2010, 08:30 AM
at that price i want a engine on it ah ah ah ah ah

flowerpots
28-07-2010, 08:33 AM
i have the silvercross pop duo and i couldnt be without it, when folded its not much bigger than a normal pushchair, the cosy toes and head rest make it very suitable from birth. i highly recommend it to anybody looking for lightwight double strollers. :D

crazyhazy
28-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Out and about nipper 360 and the p&t are the most recommended doubles amongst everyone I know, those with twins and 18m age gaps tend to go for the nipper and those with slightly larger age gaps go with the p&t. I have the p&t which I love but obviously not side by side.

brightstar
28-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I've got a p&t vibe, I bought it 2nd hand a few weeks ago and I love it. Its really easy to push up hills and easy to manouvre. Theoretically it was bought so that I could get rid of my single and double buggies and keep just one, whoops I forgot to do that, hope DH doesn't notice. I needed something that would fit through my door too and this seems to fit all my needs, my four year old mindee calls the rear seat his lazybones seat, as he sometimes rides in it to go to school :laughing:

moljak
28-07-2010, 10:46 AM
i have the silvercross pop duo and i couldnt be without it, when folded its not much bigger than a normal pushchair, the cosy toes and head rest make it very suitable from birth. i highly recommend it to anybody looking for lightwight double strollers. :D

I'd also recommend this.Don't have it myself yet but know friends who do.I have the pop single buggy and love it.If I get to need a double buggy I will definately buy the pop duo no matter what :)

sarah707
28-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions guys!

I am watching an out and about nipper 360 on Ebay but it's shooting up with a few minutes to go and the price is going silly.

There's a silver cross pop as well but that's got loads of bidders with 3 days to go so not much hope for me there.

I suppose if they are popular then that's going to happen.

I wonder if there are sales on anywhere...

I have a few weeks so I'll keep watching... if you hear of any please let me know! :D

Baileys'n'cream
28-07-2010, 05:52 PM
You could also have a look and see if there are any car boot sales on near you? You may find a bargain, you never know :D

I'm going to one on sunday :)

naartjies
28-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I bought an out and about nipper - it is a real pain:mad: the front wheel is fixed so you have to keep lifting the front to straighten and it doesn't fit through my front door which is 80cm wide - looking out for a pop duo

jaja
28-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I have the silvercross duo pop and love it, its easy to push, great form birth and the extras are fantastic, my only downside is its a pain pushing up my hills with 18 month olds in it, but then again one of my 18th m has started walking everywhere now so its not too bad xxxxx

sarah707
28-07-2010, 07:25 PM
You could also have a look and see if there are any car boot sales on near you? You may find a bargain, you never know :D

I'm going to one on sunday :)

Maybe you could look out for one for me! Which car boot do you visit?

I was thinking about trying the one at Chelford so long as it isn't raining :D

Blaze
28-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't know if it'll go through your back door but I love my urban detour double - it is v.lightweight, easy to manouve & each child had a decent amount of space (so suitable for tall/larger children & all seemmed v. comfy in it.

Product info from mothercare website.

•For two babies/children of the same or different ages
•Suitable from birth
•Pneumatic tyres (pump included)
•Lockable, front swivel wheel
•Quick release rear wheels for easy transportation and storage
•Multi-position seats operate independently
•One-handed fold mechanism
•Covered bumper bar
•Wheel reflectors and reflective detailing on hood for safety
•Hood with viewing window
•Large shopping basket
•2 cosytoes included
•Mothercare Weathershield™ included
•12 month guarantee
•Handle height: 102cm
•Folded: 87 x 84cm
•Unfolded width: 86cm
•Weight: 15.5kg

http://www.mothercare.com/Urban-Detour-Odyssey-3-Wheeler-Pushchair/dp/B000T22RNC?_encoding=UTF8&#productInfo

...you might find the reviews an inteesting read.

SammyM
28-07-2010, 09:10 PM
I had this one at the start of the week

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=202-1834&tn=/4/SS09202-1834TPS407651.jpg

and I absolutely LOVE it, as narrow as a normalbuggy, and side by side with my M&P Freestyler its exactly the same length. My 2yr old has tried both seats and there is plenty of room, back seat lies flat & has foot flap to make it like a little bed!!!

Can't praise it enough - didn't get it from Tesco tho, had a great deal from an online baby store on Ebay!!!!

sarah707
28-07-2010, 09:12 PM
•Weight: 15.5kg

It all looks great until I get to that bit :(

We have hills with cobbles (think Hovis advert LOL) and I am not getting any younger :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board.

Thank you!! xx

Blaze
29-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Sarah - it's really light to push - I have used it on cobbles with no problem & have pushed 2 heavy 3 year olds with 1 finger!...Why not go to your local mothercare & test drive one (they usually have them on display), if it'll fit through your door. As far as lifting it, because of the way it folds it's easy as you just hook the handle onto your shoulder (bent knees), then straiten your legs:thumbsup:

Mcgons
29-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you for all your suggestions guys!

I am watching an out and about nipper 360 on Ebay but it's shooting up with a few minutes to go and the price is going silly.

There's a silver cross pop as well but that's got loads of bidders with 3 days to go so not much hope for me there.

I suppose if they are popular then that's going to happen.

I wonder if there are sales on anywhere...

I have a few weeks so I'll keep watching... if you hear of any please let me know! :D

I bought my nipper for £60 on ebay last summer - just kept looking until one came up. It's an old one as it says Instep on it not Out n About but the condition of it was great. It also isn't the 360, but it is so easy to turn even one handed just by tilting it back and I'm pushing 3 year olds in it sometimes.

rachelle
29-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Urban detour really is a dream to push. I used it for my twins until gone 3 and could still do it with one hand. It's heavy to lift but the pushing is bliss. I used to just slip a back wheel off to get it through my door too - they are very quick release and it never toppled even on my top step with both in! (can also fit one on hood and one on foot rest - v. handy for own kids, although not recommended for mindees!:laughing: )

Alibali
29-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I find that the doubles that are actually light in weight tend to be heavy to push as they're not so sturdy, where as the sturdier frames like the out and about and the P & Ts although heavy weight wise are a dream to push, I'm a P&T convert and love it, I suffer from back and pelvic pain and this is great, not to good if you're putting in and out of car lots, but for walking it's fab.

The Juggler
29-07-2010, 08:29 PM
sarah I have a chicco twin, it's very light. however, although says suitable from birth it doesn't lie flat only reclined. i usually don't have babies younger than 8 months though so has not really been a problem.

However, not sure about the width, I can't get it through my front door (old victorian hallway) so you might have same problem with your back door.

Baileys'n'cream
29-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Maybe you could look out for one for me! Which car boot do you visit?

I was thinking about trying the one at Chelford so long as it isn't raining :D

I'm going to one in Runcorn on Sunday, it is literally round the corner from me so I'm hoping to get there early, and will most certainly look out for one for you :)

Donkey
30-07-2010, 08:47 PM
does it have to be a side by side sarah??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Twin-Tandem-Buggy-stroller-pushchair-double-pram-/280538588972?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item415167272c

I want one of these, will be buying very soon!!

back seat lays completly flat so suitable from birth, front seat reclines slightly so suitable from 3 months
comes with raincover
2 matching changing bags.
aprons, head huggers and is only...

10kg!!!

sarah707
30-07-2010, 08:58 PM
does it have to be a side by side sarah??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Twin-Tandem-Buggy-stroller-pushchair-double-pram-/280538588972?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item415167272c

I want one of these, will be buying very soon!!

back seat lays completly flat so suitable from birth, front seat reclines slightly so suitable from 3 months
comes with raincover
2 matching changing bags.
aprons, head huggers and is only...

10kg!!!

I used to have a forward facing and I couldn't get it up the hills / cobbles in town...

That was 15 years ago so I'm a little older now :o :laughing:

I know where I am with a side by side I just need to get the right one because the hills are a nightmare!!

I like the weight though... I understand what people are saying about heavier being more stable but I need something I can lift into the boot so it has to be light. :D

Blaze
30-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Sarah,
I REALLY would recommend you try (at least test it at a store) the urban detour - it's not as heavy as it sounds because of how the weight is distrabuted & how it folds...I can't say any more than that!:thumbsup:

sarah707
30-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Sarah,
I REALLY would recommend you try (at least test it at a store) the urban detour - it's not as heavy as it sounds because of how the weight is distrabuted & how it folds...I can't say any more than that!:thumbsup:

I have listened to you!!

I am off to Mothercare World tomorrow to test drive different ones and one is the urban.

I am keeping an open mind. Thank you! xx

Jelly Baby
30-07-2010, 09:10 PM
For the twins i have i have a mothercare one infront of each other. I bought it from a friend in really good condition and it has been great BUT it is heavy and hard to get in the boot in terms of weight and hurts my back at times lifting it..as the boys get older the more it will hurt! The parents leave with me theirs which is a Maclaren one but not sure what style, it is really lightweight but side by side and i prefer it BUT we live in a village with narrow shops and pavements and isnt ideal!

I am following this with interest as want another but can't decide, Mothercare have their side by side on offer at the mo down to £100 and have said after my review if all is well i will buy it as tried it in the shop and liked it BUT then i spotted the one like SammyM had posted and love that..just seems a lot of money in a way but then i use it a lot so?

good luck x

sarah707
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I have found one and I am so excited :jump for joy: :o

We are picking up a Mothercare urban detour from Swindon - we just happen to be passing... it's a long story!

Thank you for your encouragement Blaze and to everyone else for your ideas and advice. I couldn't have done it without you guys! :D

Blaze
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Leanne59
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
:clapping: :jump for joy: :clapping:

SammyM
04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I am following this with interest as want another but can't decide, Mothercare have their side by side on offer at the mo down to £100 and have said after my review if all is well i will buy it as tried it in the shop and liked it BUT then i spotted the one like SammyM had posted and love that..just seems a lot of money in a way but then i use it a lot so?

good luck x

JB, I got mine for £120 with free delivery, I've had it just over a week and have used it every day, much to the jealousy of all the other local CM's as it looks LUSH!! They all took it for a test drive at our group on Tuesday LOL

I have a 16mth old and a 2 1/2 yr old in it, and it pushes like a dream

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

debbie
05-08-2010, 07:43 AM
i've been following these posts with interest. i have a safety first tandem which i absolutely love it s lightweight easy to push and because i'm only 5 ft tall a dream as handle not high. however one problem it doesn't fit into the back of my car have a citreon grand 4 picasso. it did fit my galaxy though. on the cossatto is the handle height suitably low or is it high like most. and what is the leg space like i look after 2x 18 months and will have a 1 year old starting in oct so may need to fit a buggy pod for oldest to sit in. don't want to spend alot either oh will go mad.

SammyM
05-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm 5'6 and the handles come to just above waist height on me, which is fine. My daughter who is 3 in Jan has sat in both seats (to try them out for mommy!!!) and while I wouldn't sit her in it for a day trip around the zoo, its perfect for an hour here or there up and down to school, my only niggle is that I'm used to handles that are straight up (ie pointing to 12 o'clock) where as these are at 3 o'clock, but I'm sure I'll get used to it

Does that make ANY sense????!!!!! LOL