PDA

View Full Version : cookingfor mindees

aly
27-07-2010, 09:32 AM
do you provide different meals or a portion from your meal the night before or do you do on the day?

I will have a full time mindee who will want food probably lunchtime as she will leave about 4.30. at the mo i only provide a hot meal for 1 boy on a friday and usually if its pasta i do it there and then as its a quick meal.

So i need to organise myself properly and looking for suggestions.

eddie
27-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I used to provide hot meals and would freeze portions down to be used when there was not time to prepare a fresh meal. Otherwise I would do something quick and simple and plan meals in advance so you can prep the food before mindees arrive.

funemnx
27-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I make small portions to freeze of shepherds pie, spag bol sauce (and cook the pasta when I need it), homemade small pizza, sausage casserole and mash, meatballs in sauce with rice. I find margarine tubs make a good size container for freezing food. I pop it it the fridge the night before so that it's defrosted the next day. :thumbsup:

aly
27-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I make small portions to freeze of shepherds pie, spag bol sauce (and cook the pasta when I need it), homemade small pizza, sausage casserole and mash, meatballs in sauce with rice. I find margarine tubs make a good size container for freezing food. I pop it it the fridge the night before so that it's defrosted the next day. :thumbsup:

I did buy from costco the big packs of those chinese takeaway pots with lids so use them to freeze foods. I will have to have 1 day of maybe cookign and freezing some foods and then doing bigger portions of our tea to save a portion...lol.

DO you stick to a menu for parents or whatever is on offer for the day and note it?

sorry lots of q's today.

funemnx
27-07-2010, 12:08 PM
As I'm only feeding 2 sisters 2 days a week, I e-mail the mum with a menu for the month so that they don't end up with the same meal they've had at home.

I'd rather not do meals at all if I can help it though! It can get really frustrating when all you hear is 'I don't like this' :mad: