PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm wondering

claire'scherubs
26-07-2010, 09:07 PM
well the door bell kept ringing today "Can my little man come out to play, so all of his friends were in and out of my house like yo yo's today.

No problem, not over numbers, pleased my little man has so many friends (he's 8)

One came back after we had all been to the library and announced casually that he was allowed to stay here til 8pm (this was about 3.30!!!!) So I fed him some tea, along with the others (because he had been left a sub) then closed my doors at 6pm and left my DH in charge of ours while I went out for some TLC.

DH had promised our children a bike ride whilst I was out and asked the 10 year old friend if he minded going home????? He said its ok I can stay here while your out!!!!!!! DH explained that maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but asked if he had a bike so he could come along "Yes, but nobody has ever taught me to ride it"

Eventually he went home but very annoyed!!!!!

Now I worry, he sounds to me like he is left home alone (accordinging to my LO he was home alone this morning) a 'Sub' at home for his tea and what should I do, happy for anyone to be around my house (if it doesn't effect my numbers) but should I let him keep coming round and is it right that he is at home alone????

What do you think and what would you do??? xx

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:11 PM
isnt there an age limit on being left home alone? mm will search....

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:13 PM
omg there isnt! this is from the directgov site!

There is no legal age limit for leaving a child on their own, but it is an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk. Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’ (Children and Young Person’s Act).

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that:

•children under the age of about 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
•children under the age of 16 should not be left alone overnight
•babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone

claire'scherubs
26-07-2010, 09:14 PM
omg there isnt! this is from the directgov site!

There is no legal age limit for leaving a child on their own, but it is an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk. Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’ (Children and Young Person’s Act).

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) advises that:

•children under the age of about 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
•children under the age of 16 should not be left alone overnight
•babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone

I know!!!! I thought I had read that once, its quite scary isn't it

Pipsqueak
26-07-2010, 09:15 PM
isnt there an age limit on being left home alone? mm will search....

nope fraid not there is no lower age limit to be left home alone but parents can be prosecuted if something happens to their child.
NSPCC recommend 13yr old for short periods of time and only if you (the parent) deem that the child is sensible/mature enough.

Claires, i would make sure that this isn't going to become a habit of this childs - using you as free childcare (I am sure the parents may recognise this).

I think the only thing you can do is approach the parents, explain about ratios, insurance and if they would like to take a contract with you blah blah.

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:15 PM
totally! the only thing i can suggest is that if your worried contact ss anon...

claire'scherubs
26-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I would have a chat with the parents.......if I knew who there were!!!!!! I will monitor it over the next few days, maybe after tonight he won't come around again

mushpea
27-07-2010, 05:56 AM
are you sure the parents havent 'suggsted' to the child that they come and play with your little man knowing you are a minder and knowing that he would therefore be safe and fed. be careful not to be taken advantage of ,, i would speak to the parent if it becomes a regular thing, maybe tell them that it effects your insurance or somthing to put them off.
I think leaving them on their own is entirley down to the maturity of the child,, I leave my 11yrold daughter here alone whilst i pop to the shops or take the dog for his 15min quick walk but i wouldnt dream of leaving her all day. As for my nearly 10yrold son there is no way I wud leave him alone as he is definatly not mature enough.

moljak
27-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I would have a chat with the parents.......if I knew who there were!!!!!! I will monitor it over the next few days, maybe after tonight he won't come around again

Hi, I have a rule that no child comes into my home unless I know the parents or have chatted to the parents, even my children's friends.
This is because one summer holidays we had police knock on our door searching for a child who hadn't returned for tea.We didn't know the child or have the child but he was 3 doors down playing quite happily.Had told his friends parents that his mum and dad knew where he was and that he was allowed to stay for tea ect.
Parents knew nothing and after 2 hours of looking for him had rang the police!

My DD often asks for children to come in and play and i always say no.I allow her to have them in the garden in open view but that's as far as they go without me speaking to the parents.If I was to have them in my home I would suggest they rang their parents whilst I was there so I could confirm they knew I had them.

claire'scherubs
27-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi, I have a rule that no child comes into my home unless I know the parents or have chatted to the parents, even my children's friends.
This is because one summer holidays we had police knock on our door searching for a child who hadn't returned for tea.We didn't know the child or have the child but he was 3 doors down playing quite happily.Had told his friends parents that his mum and dad knew where he was and that he was allowed to stay for tea ect.
Parents knew nothing and after 2 hours of looking for him had rang the police!

My DD often asks for children to come in and play and i always say no.I allow her to have them in the garden in open view but that's as far as they go without me speaking to the parents.If I was to have them in my home I would suggest they rang their parents whilst I was there so I could confirm they knew I had them.

OMG :eek: I hadn't even thought about that. I have just composed a note to all the Mum's to send back to the parents basically saying Hi and your LO is here can you give me a ring so I know that you know they are here. That way I know they have a contact number I can then get a contact number off them!!!! I know these kids that I am talking about are 8/9 and 10 BUT!!!!????

Thanks for that

Claire xx

peanuts
27-07-2010, 09:19 PM
when my lot ask if someone can come in, i get them to phone home to ask if it is ok