PDA

View Full Version : Too much too soon??

*donnalouise*
26-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Im a newly registered childminder - well will be once certificate arrives - as waiting on CRB (thats been in process for 5wk now!)

I have two girls of my own aged 11 months and 3.5 yr (attending p/t nursery - afternoons)

Ive had an enquiry for a fully time place for 1yo, plus picking up brother from school (who is almost 5). Trouble is school is 3 miles from my home...times of my DD nursery does not clash - id have to pick him up at 330, then my DD at 4.

Do you think this is too much, too soon?? and in your experience is half hr enough time to get from nursery to a school 3 miles away with 3 kids in tow?

I really dont know what to say... she wants a childminder for both and im not sure if this will just be too much

funfunfun
26-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I think if you can do it .....................do it

only you know awhat is too much for you to take on :)

good luck with it though

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Perhaps you could take them on, but be clear to Mum that if it doesn't work then you will have to terminate. If you are not getting to your daughter's nursery on time then you just can't do it, she will have to understand this. Other that making sure the school and nursery runs work out, that doesn;t sound like too much to me! Good luck!

Zoomie
26-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Try the journey at the appropriate times to see how you manage, and then double the time (at least) to see how it may be during term time, as it is quieter in the holidays (assuming you are driving).

If you are walking, well I can't walk that fast, let alone with a buggy / toddlers en-tow.

*donnalouise*
26-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi, thanks for your prompt replies.... i think im veering more towards doing it than not!

The only thing that worries me is getting between the schools in time. Im pretty sure it would be do-able on my own... or even with just one child. But to strap 3 in and then back out and into buggies / restraints at nursery might mean i go over.

It wont be for long though as DD is changing from afternoons to mornings in january.. so that would ease the pressure off. The dont require a school drop off in the morning either.

I think I'd be silly to dismiss this as it be all the work I am looking for (and perhaps a bit more!)

For you experienced childminders.. do you find looking after 3 under 5's at once challenging? especially as they are all different ages

grindal
27-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I have always had 3 under 5s since I started minding last April. DS1 will be starting school in September and my current mindee left last week, but I am picking up 2 new mindees in September, so will be back up to 3 under 5s during the day, DS1 before and after school and another school drop off and collection 3 days a week!
Good Luck