PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Around School Charges, am I too expensive?

NLprereg
26-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi

I'm a pre-reg childminder and just lost out on my first childminding enquiry as I was too expensive. I wondered if I'd made a huge mistake and error of judgement and would be interested in feedback....here's what happened -

My full day rate 8am - 6pm is £40 per day (£4ph)

The enquiry was for a 3 year old child before and after nursery including breakfast, snack and evening meal. I proposed £30 per day which is £7.50 per hour (4 hours a day) however it retains the place for school holiday care etc. I wouldn't fill the place with another child.

What I was thinking is that I won't charge the full £40 (that other childminders told me they would) if I don't have the child all day and will meet parents half way, for the cost of the nursery hours time, knocking £10 off.

I know before and after School clubs in the area are cheaper than this however the care I'm offering is on a 3 to 1 ratio plus I'm providing 2 decent meals a day and not just snacks.

I was thinking that if this child was over 5 and it wouldn't affect my earning possibilities then I could have been a bit more flexible on price however a 3 year old takes one of my vital full time slots so I had to make it worth my while. Also there is a younger sibling but they had already arranged care elsewhere for her so I didn't have an opportunity to do a sibling reduced rate.

Have I got this completely wrong or should I stick to my charges and hope I get another enquiry soon?

I'd be grateful for any feedback, both positive and negative. Any advice is welcome.

Many Thanks.

Zoomie
26-07-2010, 05:07 PM
What do other childminders in your area charge.

They are your true competition.

Did parent say it was cost, or not.

And also, I would charge for the nursery hours. Lots of childminders do it, and it secures the place for the holidays.

jumpinjen
26-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I would charge for the hours that the child is at nursery, as I can't fill the place. you have been reasonable in not pushing for the full ten hour place as that would be sostly for the parents when the child is in nursery but it is a commitment to do the two nursery runs, plus potentially school runs as well, and your hourly fee is your hourly fee. next time I would represent it as they have to pay for the hours at nursery at £4 per hour as you can't fill the space, rather than telling them it is £7.50 an hour sounds so expensive although the same total! If other minders in your area charge £3 then you will seem expensive.... many more experienced minders in my area who have minded for 5-15 years and have outstandings, charge £3-£3.50 and new minders setting up charge £4-£4.50, from a parents point of view they might go for the experienced minder that is cheaper, but if your break-even is £4 then stick with it, you will have o wait for the right family!

jen x

mama2three
26-07-2010, 05:22 PM
most minders charge for a full day if the child is at nursery , and if £40 a day is the rate which is appropriate for your area then stick to it. Calling that £7.50 per hour does make it sound expensive though!! its all in the marketing!

NLprereg
26-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your advice! It's really helpful and nice to have a bit of reassurance.

The childminders in my area charge between £3.80 and £4.50 so I was thinking I'm quite reasonable. The decent nurseries are £44 per day and charge for holidays which I wouldn't.

I reckon I'll just have to wait for the right family.

Thanks again and if anyone else has anything to add feel free.

FussyElmo
26-07-2010, 06:22 PM
If thats the going rate in your area then stick to your prices:)

funfunfun
26-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Id stick with it too someone will come along :)

fingers crossed for you

miffy
26-07-2010, 07:21 PM
If the younger sibling is already placed elsewhere, it sounds to me like this parent is shopping round trying to get a cheap deal (just paying for the before and after nursery hours).

From what you've said your prices are competitive so stick with it, although I agree with mama2three about the marketing.

Miffy xx

tashaleee
26-07-2010, 07:27 PM
:thumbsup:
If the younger sibling is already placed elsewhere, it sounds to me like this parent is shopping round trying to get a cheap deal (just paying for the before and after nursery hours).

From what you've said your prices are competitive so stick with it, although I agree with mama2three about the marketing.

Miffy xx

Totally agree it seems like they just want the cheapest option so would definitely be happy to hang on for the right family. Makes me wonder why the person having the sibling doesnt want the older one - im guessing they want more money than the parent wants to pay out hence the parent shopping around :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
26-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I am never disappointed if I am passed over for being too expensive, they usually come back as they aren't happy at some time in the future

Hang in there and something will come along

NLprereg
27-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks again everyone.

I think the family were hoping my prices would be more in line with the out of school clubs in the area and I know other childminders do charge less for out of school care however this is for children over 5 years old. They already have arrangements in place but I think the idea of using me as I am local appealed.

I'm hoping that they may come back to me in the future as they are a lovely family and I think my service would be ideal for them but unfortunately I have to be strict with regards to my minimum daily rate for the under 5 range as I will only have 2 slots available and this is where I will make my money.

I'll hang on and fingers crossed another family contacts me soon.

Thanks again for your comments, it's nice to know I'm not way out of line with regards to me fee structure.