PDA

View Full Version : Hand Foot and Mouth! Do i have to close?

Beckieboo
26-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I think my little girl has hand,foot and mouth. She has chicken pox spots but only on these areas, not in nappy area, torso, underarms, etc

My twins have had it before so i remember what it looks like.

Am i right in thinking i dont have to close? I would have any of the others (Unless unwell with it) if they had it?

Is this ok? My little one is fine in herself!

venus89
26-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I think that if the parents knew and were happy to send their child, and knew you were ok to have their child with it, then maybe you can stay open?

One of my mindees had it last year and i excluded him as soon as I spotted it, but not before he'd passed it on to another LO who then had to have a week off! I spent the next few days obsessively cleaning the house.....

Somebody will be along soon who actually knows.....

Millenium
26-07-2010, 03:30 PM
The current HPA recommendation is that it is not an "excludable" illness so I guess the answer to your question is no!

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile.../1194947358374

Beckieboo
26-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I found an earlier post (It seems rife at the minute), I dont have to close but need to inform parents. The ones i have spoken to have been fine and think they have probably got it by now anyway! They were only sorry it wasnt chicken pox! :laughing:

Stillgoingstrong
26-07-2010, 03:54 PM
OMG I have never even heard of it :eek: What is it then, chicken pox? :panic:

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 04:18 PM
My son has it too. Im still open but 2 of 3 children due today did not come. One because her Daddy was off anyway so just kept her home, the other because Mum seems to think its some sort of life threatening illness and i should be closed!
He started with a temperature Friday PM, spots on Saturday. They are fading already and he's not unwell with it so no reason for me to close. If a mindee had it i'd only make parents keep them at home if they seemed really poorly and not able to play- otherwise its just spots.

Ripeberry
26-07-2010, 04:32 PM
This is weird, because my daughter had chicken pox last week, still getting some spots but now they are on her palms and soles of her feet, also she said she felt a bit dizzy and her glands are coming up. She said she has a sore throat but can't see any spots.

Does this sound like hand, foot and mouth? :(

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 06:34 PM
This is weird, because my daughter had chicken pox last week, still getting some spots but now they are on her palms and soles of her feet, also she said she felt a bit dizzy and her glands are coming up. She said she has a sore throat but can't see any spots.

Does this sound like hand, foot and mouth?

Hand, foot and mouth is spots in and around the mouth, on hands and feet, and sometimes spread a little up arms and legs. Plus sore throat, and a temperature just before/ just as the spots appear. They do look like chicken pox but not quite so yucky- hand foot and mouth are like small whitehead/ blisters whereas chicken pox tend to be bigger, yellowish blisters and puss filled.
Perhaps it was chicken pox last week and now she has hand foot and mouth?

Ripeberry
26-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Hand, foot and mouth is spots in and around the mouth, on hands and feet, and sometimes spread a little up arms and legs. Plus sore throat, and a temperature just before/ just as the spots appear. They do look like chicken pox but not quite so yucky- hand foot and mouth are like small whitehead/ blisters whereas chicken pox tend to be bigger, yellowish blisters and puss filled.
Perhaps it was chicken pox last week and now she has hand foot and mouth?

That's what i reckon, we are due to fly in a couple of weeks, hope they are all gone by then or they may not let us go :mad:

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 07:31 PM
That's what i reckon, we are due to fly in a couple of weeks, hope they are all gone by then or they may not let us go

Oh im sure they will all be gone by then, the hand foot and mouth clears within 7-10 days (when my son had it before it was only about 5 days) and the chicken pox should be all gone too, or at least completely dried up.
Hope she feels better soon!