PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Questions!

Buzz Lightyear
26-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Eeeek, so sorry for not being on here for a while. Being on maternity leave, I thought I'd have a break from childminding but after speaking with a key-worker at my daughter's preschool, I have lots of questions about possibly having an assistant!!

She has approached me to see whether I'd be interested in taking her on as my assistant. I've just had an informal chat with her and she seems great. Fully CRB checked although not registered with Ofsted and holds a level 3 qualification as well as first aid paediatric. She ideally would like full-time hours or there abouts.

So here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between her being my employee and her becoming self-employed?

She has said she is happy to do whatever is easier for me. I have tried to read a little on the other threads but it's not quite sinking in as I'm reading various bits of information from all over.

2. Would I just pay her NI and tax like I do my own?

I pay Class 2 and put aside 20% of profit each month into a separate account.

3. Would she be able to work as my assistant if I am on maternity leave or would I have to return to work?

Ideally, I'm wanting to be off until January / February time (so long as things dont get too tight money wise and then might have to rethink).

Chatterbox Childcare
26-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Eeeek, so sorry for not being on here for a while. Being on maternity leave, I thought I'd have a break from childminding but after speaking with a key-worker at my daughter's preschool, I have lots of questions about possibly having an assistant!!

She has approached me to see whether I'd be interested in taking her on as my assistant. I've just had an informal chat with her and she seems great. Fully CRB checked although not registered with Ofsted and holds a level 3 qualification as well as first aid paediatric. She ideally would like full-time hours or there abouts.

So here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between her being my employee and her becoming self-employed?

She has said she is happy to do whatever is easier for me. I have tried to read a little on the other threads but it's not quite sinking in as I'm reading various bits of information from all over.

2. Would I just pay her NI and tax like I do my own?

I pay Class 2 and put aside 20% of profit each month into a separate account.

3. Would she be able to work as my assistant if I am on maternity leave or would I have to return to work?

Ideally, I'm wanting to be off until January / February time (so long as things dont get too tight money wise and then might have to rethink).

I know that you can use assistants for a short period of time on their own but you have to be working too so the answer to this is no

As to all the other questions I don't know but would advise you to talk to the new business section at the IR as they are very helpful

jumpinjen
26-07-2010, 05:55 PM
It is a lot easier if she works as self-employed then she does her own NI and tax..... i think Debbie is correct in saying that if you employ her as an assistant then you are working as you have to supervise.... perhaps something to aim for when you are back to work.... by then she could have registered as a CM herself and you work together also as CM's if your house is big enough to ahve increased numbers.

Jenni

Buzz Lightyear
27-07-2010, 09:32 AM
So if she was self-employed, she'd need to the childminding course herself to become a childminder as well? Whereas if I employed her as my assistant, she wouldn't need to do all that, just hold her CRB and first aid (which she already does?) She is NVQ 3 qualified already.

So self employed, she just does what I do with my tax and ni? But if I employed her, I'd pay hers as well as my own? And will that be on a similar level to what I pay myself?

suzyblue
28-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I read that if your assistant works for more than 15 hours a day then you have to employ them and pay their tax and Nat Ins.