PDA

View Full Version : The man from the council said no!

Stillgoingstrong
26-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I put a post on here a while ago about applying for a disabled parking space outside for my car as I have a mindee with cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. Long and the short of it I got mucked around, told to email this person, that person etc who then denied getting them - the usual old run around:angry: Anyway eventually I was sent an application. Please bear in mind that I have to already pay for the privilage of parking my car in my "zone", which does not guarantee me a space outside my house or even in my road, just in my "zone" which covers a huge area, IF there is space available - actually all it guarantees is that if I do manage to find somewhere to park I wont get a ticket. With parking issues like this I am sure you will appreciate how hard it is with a disabled child - all I wanted was a space mon-fri between 7.30-6, just for my car when I had the disabled badge in which I have to hand over to parents when child goes home, so wouldnt be able to use space outside working with the child as I'd have no badge iyswim .
Anyway the answer is no. This is not the childs permanent residence, I do not claim benefits for the child(?)and they dont want to help either me, the child or the childs parent by making life easier for all of us. How narrow minded and ignorant. There's me trying my best to be inclusive, yet now wondering why I am doing it - I know I'm going to end up with a bad back. Thanks so much to my local council.:mad:

Millenium
26-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I do not believe your council is adopting a policy any different from most local authorities. I have heard of this policy in other areas and it is simply because the address is not the "place of residence".

tulip0803
26-07-2010, 02:47 PM
A friend has applied for a disabled parking place outside her home as she is disabled and our council said no - the reason being they only allocate 5 a year in the county and they have already done it:rolleyes:

sarah707
26-07-2010, 05:08 PM
That seems very short sighted of them.

I wonder if a newspaper campaign would help? xx

Playmate
26-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I Would write to your MP, newspapers anyone that will listen. That is unbelievable :angry: :angry:

Hebs
26-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I Would write to your MP, newspapers anyone that will listen. That is unbelievable :angry: :angry:

i would to, how can you be inclusive? :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
26-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I suppose it is also open to abuse the minority ruining it for the others. There is a house on my street with a disabled space outside for the previous owners. The people who live there will tell you you cant park there even though there are no disabled people in the house (they openly admit this) but still argue that it is there space.

Stillgoingstrong
26-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I suppose it is also open to abuse the minority ruining it for the others. There is a house on my street with a disabled space outside for the previous owners. The people who live there will tell you you cant park there even though there are no disabled people in the house (they openly admit this) but still argue that it is there space.

you should get in contact with your council and tell them the disabled people have moved. Actually a space is not for a specific person or house to use, its for ANY disable person, but they HAVE to have the blue disabled badge in their car..if your neighbours dont have a blue badge they dont have the right to park there, so tell them to :censored:off: and try and get a passing traffic warden to nab them!!:littleangel:

Pipsqueak
26-07-2010, 08:22 PM

tell the council and ask to have it removed as you believe the residents that live there are not the residents it was intended for.:D

my dad applied for a disabled bay and got it. As Kathleen says anyone with a blue badge could park there though.
Three (yes that read 3) days after he died, the council were there - erasing it!

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:09 PM
i would speak to the parents as i'm sure they can give you their badge if they have one as it's for their child not them so can be transferred to a carer. if the council cant or wont put the white line on the road with a sign saying disabed use etc 7.30-6pm then how about doing your own? just do a laminated polite notice stating you care for a disabled person and would be really grateful if you could park outside your own home between these hours, mon- fri. put a smaller version through immediate neighbours doors too perhaps? just trying ideas out. hth :(

Stillgoingstrong
26-07-2010, 09:51 PM
i would speak to the parents as i'm sure they can give you their badge if they have one as it's for their child not them so can be transferred to a carer. if the council cant or wont put the white line on the road with a sign saying disabed use etc 7.30-6pm then how about doing your own? just do a laminated polite notice stating you care for a disabled person and would be really grateful if you could park outside your own home between these hours, mon- fri. put a smaller version through immediate neighbours doors too perhaps? just trying ideas out. hth :(

Thanks and yes, I do get the blue badge when they drop child off (on the other side of the road on double yellows as my side full of permit holders,palavar or what) thats not the problem :( Someone else had a similar idea to yours about putting something home-made outside, which was to put a sign up and a couple of cones outside. I did this and everything vanished:eek: Dont know if it was "officially" removed or just one of my :censored: neighbours. It just p's me off as the child is so lovely but I just dont want this to become too much for me and eventually have to give them up:panic: I would def think twice before taking on ANY sort of special needs in the future :(

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:56 PM
try it first then badger council with parents (if they will) and finally go to the press - state how you have to be inclusive etc but cant offer it etc. it's only mon- fri day time etc - council wouldnt look too good....