PDA

View Full Version : 1st OFSTED visit in the morning.....(help/advice pls)

littlewonders
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Hello all,

I have my 1st OFSTED visit in the morning, I am so nervous :panic:
even though I have spoken to the lady on the phone and she sounds really nice but I am worried about the questions she may ask and me answering wrong!!

What actually happens? Does she need to see each room I am registering and outside etc? Do I need to study the standards in depths? :panic:

Any help will be very much appreciated :) :)

Sam x

sarahashy
01-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi there, I've been registered for 4 years now, and so far have had 3 inspections , and they were all very different (but none were as bad as what I had imagined!)

Will you be minding when the inspection takes place? If so, i would collect all my paperwork together, give it to the inspector to look at, and just look after the children as you normally would. For some, it's easier to demonstrate how they meet the standards, rather than explain it. I did this at my last inspection, and the inspector asked far less questions - she seemed happy to check out my paperwork and observe me with the children.

I'm trying to think of some things to remember - I got slightly done for offering orange juice instead of water, she liked the posters in the bathroom reminding children to wash hands/clean teeth. I didn't have individual towels for the children, but had squares of kitchen towel to dry hands (she liked that).

But honestly, just show that you enjoy looking after the children, and that you are concerned for their health and well-being. I'm sure you'll be fine (but I know how nerve-racking it is, so good luck!):thumbsup:

sarahashy
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry, just realised I didn't actually answer your questions!

My first two inspections, yes they checked every room, even ones that were not to be used. my last inspection, she didn't move from her spot at the table in the kitchen, only to use the toilet. She didn't go outside, but they definitely checked thoroughly at my two previous inspections, I think to ascertain that the rest of the house wasn't an absolute death trap!

With regard to standards, yes I think she will expect you to know them, what could be quite handy is to go through each point in writing and explain how you meet it - this was a godsend for me, cos I tend to waffle and end up saying the wrong thing, so at least if it's written down, you can sort of say 'look, see that's what I meant.' At least it shows that you've thought about it.

manjay
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I think it sounds like this may be your pre reg visit? If so they will talk to you about the standards and yes they will look at the rooms you want registering. Don't worry about it as they will let you know if anything needs to be done

Good luck

amanda xx

angeldelight
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
If it is your pre - reg they are there to help and advise you

Good luck im sure you will be ok

Angel xx

DCS
02-04-2008, 03:05 AM
hiya,

make sure you ask to see I'd. they ask you about the standards, if you have a wish list, look at the toys you have, look round your house to see/ give tips on child profing, ideas on routine, stuff on keeping children safe.

give your place the once over. I was so nervous, I literally cleaned my home from top to bottom the night before!

relax and good luck, you'll do well.

cecile
x

wendywu
02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Good Luck:)

miffy
02-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Good luck

Let us know how you get on

miffy xx

angeldelight