PDA

View Full Version : Older child wanting to play out?

crazyhazy
25-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I have an 11yo starting with me next week and when they visited her parents asked if I was happy for her to be allowed out to play with her friend after school/holidays etc. I agreed (they live very close to me) after discusion cos she has a mobile, she'd tell me where she was going etc etc but now I'm wanting to have something in writing, cos obviously I'm not responsible for her if she's not in my home but I can't find anything to help me word a policy/permission form. Can anyone help?

Thanks xx

sarah707
26-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Make sure you are insured!

I have a feeling you are with one of the companies but not with the other but I can't remember which way round it is :D

miffy
26-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't do it - even though you say you're not responsible when the child is not with you, the fact that you're being paid assumes a degree of responsibility on your part.

Sarah's right, check with your insurers you might find they won't cover you. Also think what you will do if this child gets into difficulties when she's out alone - will you be able to go to her if you have lots of other children?

Miffy xx

miss mopple
26-07-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't let mindees play out unless I am with them. I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong

angeldelight
26-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I do not do it either

It is a pain when they are older and want to go out but its not worth all the risks involved

I would say to parents that you have had a word with your insurance and they have advised against it

Good luck next week with the new child

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
26-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I am insured with NCMA and they allow children to play unaccompanied.

I would get the attached letter signed and would have the contact details of where the child is going. I would ring the parent before the child leaves and I would ask them to call me when the mindee arrives and then again when they leave to come back.

If there isn't a parent at home I would ask for their friend to come to mine.

I know that it is our responsbility to look after them and keep them safe but a miserable 11 year old isn't work having so I think you need to evaluate how we want our practice to work.

bandlady
26-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi
Sorry but I disagree with not letting an 11 year old child out on her own. The whole point of being a childminder is to let the child have a home from home environment and surely part of that is letting an older child a bit of freedom. Get some clear written rules laid down and discuss in detail with the parents exactly what you are prepared to allow. Have very clear boundaries and gradually allow the child some freedom. Take it one step at a time to allow for a period of trust to build up. This is all about giving a child a bit of independence. I presume this child will be going to secondary school in September annd surely she needs to gain some experience of being allowed some freedom.
Of course you need to make sure you are insured for this.

Sorry but this is just my opinion
Denise

caz3007
26-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I look after two 11 year olds and they arent allowed out to play. Its been discussed with the boys and with parents and all are happy with the situation. They go out to play when they are at home with their parents, so dont miss out

Daisy1956
26-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Very interested in this discussion I will be in this situation next year and i am not sure what to do. The child I mind will need to get a train to school so needs to learn how to cope with the big bad world out there.So I too would value any information and ideas-hadn't thought about insurance so will need to check it out before hand.

Beckieboo
26-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I have 7 yr old twin boys who play out, we live right beside a park and they know the boundaries! There is a nice group of kids that all play together! When i have mindees they all play out, its the parents that request this as its not suitable where they live! It use to make me uneasy, but now they all go off on the park in a group and know never to leave anyone on their own! The parents have all wrote me a letter allowing me to do this! I can see onto the park from my back door! The mindees are 8 yrs old and would never play out otherwise!
It works for all of us, just could do with less rain and more sunshine! :)

I must add though, my mindees by one were all friends before minding and played out with my boys then. The one mindee that wasnt a friend is really molly coddled and his mum wants him to be more streetwise!

caz3007
26-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Very interested in this discussion I will be in this situation next year and i am not sure what to do. The child I mind will need to get a train to school so needs to learn how to cope with the big bad world out there.So I too would value any information and ideas-hadn't thought about insurance so will need to check it out before hand.

My older two arrive independantly sometimes and will all the time in September, cant see them letting me collect them from school even if I was able :laughing: I did an independant arrival policy stating that they werent covered by my insurance until they arrive at my house and listed what I would do if they didnt arrive, think I found it on Bromley and adapted. Mums signed to say they agreed

crazyhazy
26-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I am insured with NCMA and they allow children to play unaccompanied.

I would get the attached letter signed and would have the contact details of where the child is going. I would ring the parent before the child leaves and I would ask them to call me when the mindee arrives and then again when they leave to come back.

If there isn't a parent at home I would ask for their friend to come to mine.

I know that it is our responsbility to look after them and keep them safe but a miserable 11 year old isn't work having so I think you need to evaluate how we want our practice to work.

Thanks Debbie for the permission letter, that's kinda what I was thinking of, I'm insured through scma, so will check with them too (hadn't thought of that so glad I asked!). I hope it's ok cos it was the clincher in them choosing to come to me, I'm guessing it'll only be relevant while the weathers nice which being in scotland prob won't be often :rolleyes:

VINASOL
26-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Before I was registered I took on an 8 and 10 year old a cuople of hours after school. I was concerned with insurance etc so phoned Morton Michel beforehand and they advised me that as I did not need to be registered with Ofsted for these ages, legally I did not need insurance. If I wanted to be 'insured' I'd have to be insured as a nanny!

Is this not right then?

crazyhazy
26-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Before I was registered I took on an 8 and 10 year old a cuople of hours after school. I was concerned with insurance etc so phoned Morton Michel beforehand and they advised me that as I did not need to be registered with Ofsted for these ages, legally I did not need insurance. If I wanted to be 'insured' I'd have to be insured as a nanny!

Is this not right then?

I'm ot sure about how it works with Ofsted as I know you don't count over 8s in your numbers but here in scotland they are counted until they are 16 for some reason.

Daisy1956
28-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I have spoken with mum about allowing the child to walk to school by herself and we are trying to work out a route, main road she would cross with the crossing lady but a minor road is a problem because of a small roundabout near it , the cars either don't indicate or indicate wrong,:angry: I don't like crossing this road myself , so we are trying to find a better route.Thanks for info on independant arrival form I will look at it.:)

Twinklestars
28-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a 10 year old mindee whose mum have me written permission for him to play at the park right outside my house there are no roads to cross and he doesn't leave this area

blue bear
29-07-2010, 06:52 AM
surely it's a matter of promoting child's developement at the right ages and stages? isn't letting them develop independence part of that?

children of 11 start senior school, often means catching buses on their own, if we don't start encouraging them to go out and engage with others in small bites starting seniors would be such a shock.

I once had a CDO who was a former Ofsted inspector who said she would mark down childminders who let children out of sight or hearing whatever the age, we had some major discussions. It's not healthy to keep children tied to the apron strings - mum or childminder, they need to spread their wings and be shown they are trusted.

I would check where you are insurance wise, write yourself a good policy, set clear boundaries, start off a bit at a time until you are happy child can be trusted to do as you ask.

good luck:thumbsup:

angeldelight
29-07-2010, 07:02 AM
surely it's a matter of promoting child's developement at the right ages and stages? isn't letting them develop independence part of that?

children of 11 start senior school, often means catching buses on their own, if we don't start encouraging them to go out and engage with others in small bites starting seniors would be such a shock.

I once had a CDO who was a former Ofsted inspector who said she would mark down childminders who let children out of sight or hearing whatever the age, we had some major discussions. It's not healthy to keep children tied to the apron strings - mum or childminder, they need to spread their wings and be shown they are trusted.

I would check where you are insurance wise, write yourself a good policy, set clear boundaries, start off a bit at a time until you are happy child can be trusted to do as you ask.

good luck:thumbsup:

I agree with what you are saying

But I have been in that situation before when I have had other children and the older child has gone out to play and forgot the time - had to have a search party looking for her for over an hour - with grumpy toddlers and and a tired baby and older children

So for me it is not about the child having independance ( I am sure that they get this all the hours that they are with the parents ?) It is about what is easier and more logic for myself and the other children I care for

Angel xxx