PDA

View Full Version : Dilema- hand, foot and mouth

snufflepuff
25-07-2010, 07:32 PM
My son has hand foot and mouth. He has been a bit under the weather since about Thursday and the spots appeared yesterday. He is pretty much ok in himself. I spoke to NHS direct who said although it is contagious it is like a cold, very rarely serious, so i should stay open and just let the parents decide if they want their children to attend or not. He had it before and my GP gave the same advice.
One parent has said that she had read that the incubation period is 5 days and it looks very nasty so can't understand why NHS told me to stay open. She doesn't want LO to come and asked if she still has to pay.
Would it be reasonable of me to say i will only charge half fee? Because i am avaliable for work but understand why she does not want to send her.
The other parent is off work so wont be bringing LO, im pretty sure she thinks she doesnt have to pay, shall i suggest half fee to her too?

GRRRR why did he have to get ill!!!

AliceK
25-07-2010, 07:40 PM
The Health Protection Agency states None as exclusion period so I think you are being very fair to offer to only charge half fees. Just bear in mind that if it were HER child with it and her Dr told her no exclusion I bet she'd be more than happy sending him to you rather than paying and child not attending.

xxxxx

snufflepuff
25-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok does my reply sound ok:
He would have been infectious up to 5 days before he started feeling unwell, (which is what it means by incubation period), so as early as last weekend. There is no exclusion period, only that a child should be at home if they seem too poorly for school etc. I understand that you want be careful though so im happy to only charge half if you would rather not bring E.

auntym
26-07-2010, 07:48 AM
That sounds really fair. Iv just had 3 mindees with chickenpox. They all caught together and iv had it so have them choice to bring or not.
I wonder if the same mum will keep her child off if they catch it? Bet you she would bring then lol x

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes she probably would bring her!
She said thanks for being understanding and she is guessing Wednesday is off. WHY??? Im open as usual, theres no exclusion period, my son is fine, just a couple of spots left. What doesn't she understand about 'no exclusion period' ???
Anyway, i'll tell her that im open as usual and still going on the outing i had planned.