PDA

View Full Version : Charges for tea

snufflepuff
25-07-2010, 04:00 PM
A current mindee is changing her hours and Mum now wants me to give her tea one day a week. Im not keen on doing it because she will be leaving at 5.30pm, so i'll need to give her tea at about 4.30 which in my opinion is too early. Plus my son will end up eating 2 teas because he will want to eat when she eats and again when DP and i eat. But i don't really feel that i can say no, i'm not sure how i would explain it to her.
Anyway, how much would you charge for this?
Im thinking it will be things like pasta bake, jacket potato, shepherds pie etc.

youarewhatyoueat
25-07-2010, 04:10 PM
If you don't want to do it, don't!! I don't offer dinner anymore as I want to feed my own children later as I have older ones coming home from high school. I also found it a pain as we go to the park after school and I didn't want to have to go home for 1 child.
I offer a snack and a drink and it keeps them going till dinner at home.

tashaleee
25-07-2010, 04:28 PM
If you dont want to do it then dont - its your business. Is it a school aged child or a pre-school? Personally Im happy to offer snacks at 4.30 but not dinner - I only do dinner for those children leaving at 6 or later :thumbsup:

rachelle
25-07-2010, 04:37 PM
can you put a portion of what you eat the day before aside so you just have to reheat or infact ask her parent(s) to do that and leave it with you? Much easier than cooking twice in a day!

I would charge more than normal if I was providing it to compensate the hassle (and also in the secret hope it would put her mother off the idea!)

flowerpots
25-07-2010, 05:57 PM
i charge £2.00 per/meal in the hope that it would put parents off me providing it, it didnt work :angry: , i would only re-heat meals provided by mum if you dont want to do it because it will start to get on your nerves quite quickly :o

zoe2010
25-07-2010, 06:37 PM
ive recently started minding and i charge £1 for tea a good home cooked tea i may add but ive decidied i feel more like a cheif than a childminder!!
So as from sept ive decided to provide only lite bites for tea as its been costing me a £££ to feed 3 mindies a nite plus limited time to do so :laughing: Hope this helps dont make the mistake like me

snufflepuff
25-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I was thinking i could tell her i'd do it, but it wouldnt be anything 'proper' just something quick- beans on toast, soup, toasties etc. I can't spend time cooking when i have up to 3 one year olds to care for. Perhaps i'll just tell her im worried my son will end up wanting 2 evening meals, and if it becomes a problem it will have to stop!

blue bear
25-07-2010, 07:49 PM
after school clubs tend to offer toast as snack at that time, much better for child to have snack and have a family meal at home rather than eat on her own at your house. This would solve the problem of your own child too. Do not start something you are not keen on to please others it will only grate later on.

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 07:58 PM
i dont do a proper tea.....its more like sanies / crumpets beans on toast chicken wrap etc

SammyM
25-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I offer a hot tea & proper pud for £3, mainly as my own two young children eat at 4.45pm anyway, I've said to my parents that if they want their children to eat earlier than when they get home they can provide a 'packed tea' that can be served when mine are eating if they don't opt for my teas!!

PixiePetal
25-07-2010, 08:14 PM
for pre school kids I will do tea for £1.50 but only if they stay till 5.30 at least.

We as a family eat much later now and I always cook ahead for mindees - put cheese sauce in portions in the freezer for mac cheese for example.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2010, 08:50 PM
£2.50 per meal.

Why not ask mum to supply something and you can heat it up rather than starting from scratch or keep a meal from the night before when you cook and reheat it.

The Juggler
25-07-2010, 09:19 PM
i wouldnt' cook especially for 1 child. especially if you don't want to. tell her her dd would be eating alone which is not a very social environment to eat it, even if you sit and chat with her.AND tell her there will be a charge of £xx

I think, some toast, fruit, crumpets and milk/juice at 4.30 ish would keep her going.

I've done it for years but my kids were little and so eating at 4.45 suited then. Now I'm going to be able to stop doing teas in October which is fab and now my two are older we can eat with them.

mushpea
26-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I wouldnt cook for her, 1 child once a week isnt worth the effort espicialy if affects your childs meal times just say no cause you cant provide activities and cook dinner and explain about your child

snufflepuff
26-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Right, i'm going to be brave and tell her i've thought about it and won't be able to do tea. It's too early and i wouldn't be able to supervise the children while cooking. Plus the cost of cooking a meal just for one toddler (who is actually likely to feed most of it to my kitchen floor) would be silly. But i will do a decent snack at 4ish too keep her going until she gets home.

The Juggler
26-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Right, i'm going to be brave and tell her i've thought about it and won't be able to do tea. It's too early and i wouldn't be able to supervise the children while cooking. Plus the cost of cooking a meal just for one toddler (who is actually likely to feed most of it to my kitchen floor) would be silly. But i will do a decent snack at 4ish too keep her going until she gets home.

:thumbsup: good planx