PDA

View Full Version : Will this make an inpact on my inspection ?

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I have done a safeguarding course online with my previous employer

I have been told this isnt acceptable anyway and that i will need to complete another one .

The problem i have is that my local council arnt doing one while october this is the 1st one available .....................by this time i think i will have probablly had my inspection and im a bit worried that ofsted will grade me down straight away for not having done the adequate course ?

what do you think ?

sarah707
25-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't know which one you have done online but many childminders choose this way of updating their knowledge and it is generally acceptable.

I have done my latest updated course online because Cheshire couldn't offer me training at the weekend.

Who told you it wasn't acceptable? Ofsted or someone else?

Hth :D

julie w
25-07-2010, 09:03 AM
The best person to ask is your development officer. They usually do everything they can to help you get through your inspection with the best possible grade.good luck.

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't know which one you have done online but many childminders choose this way of updating their knowledge and it is generally acceptable.

I have done my latest updated course online because Cheshire couldn't offer me training at the weekend.

Who told you it wasn't acceptable? Ofsted or someone else?

Hth :D

Someone else :) I have seen various post's on here too and i started to worry when they said october

green puppy
25-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I did the nspcc one on-line and it was fine, I had done an e-learning food hygiene with my previous employer and this was also fine. As long as you have a good safe guarding procedure, the leaflet and the booklet and you are able to answer any questions about safeguarding then that should be fine. Perhaps you could book onto the other course to show that you will be updating in october.

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I have the releavant paperwork to say im going on a course in oct anyway .....if that helps with it

Im just a bit worried as i know their big on safeguarding at the mo

green puppy
25-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Do you have the safeguarding leaflet and the " Are you being abused " booklet, we used to have to have these. There is also another publication that might get you extra brownie points called " Working together to safeguard children ". It's a big book but another childminder was told on her recent course that there was some relevant information in it that we shoul have. If you are really concerned you could just ask ofsted but I think you will be fine plus you would have talked about it on your icp course aswell. As long as you have an indepth policy with local numbers and you can show that you know the signs to look for and the relevant people to contact I think that is more important.

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Do you have the safeguarding leaflet and the " Are you being abused " booklet, we used to have to have these. There is also another publication that might get you extra brownie points called " Working together to safeguard children ". It's a big book but another childminder was told on her recent course that there was some relevant information in it that we shoul have. If you are really concerned you could just ask ofsted but I think you will be fine plus you would have talked about it on your icp course aswell. As long as you have an indepth policy with local numbers and you can show that you know the signs to look for and the relevant people to contact I think that is more important.

ICP isnt until september either lol ......................i know

I will have a look at the books thankyou and get them

caz3007
25-07-2010, 09:27 AM
i personally would have thought that you have some knowledge of the signs of abuse from your online course and if you can show Ofsted that you have a course booked for October, they really should be happy with that. You are improving your knowledge, not your fault there isnt a course at the moment

funfunfun
25-07-2010, 09:31 AM
i personally would have thought that you have some knowledge of the signs of abuse from your online course and if you can show Ofsted that you have a course booked for October, they really should be happy with that. You are improving your knowledge, not your fault there isnt a course at the moment

Of course i do :blush: I have always worked with children in various settings ....Although i do find ofsted can be very picky when it come's to this .

Thankyou for advice

caz3007
25-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Of course i do :blush: I have always worked with children in various settings ....Although i do find ofsted can be very picky when it come's to this .

Thankyou for advice

I found that as long as you can list some signs of the various types of abuse and name the types, then my inspectors have been happy. Having said that I did re-do my safeguarding course recently to keep up to date and on my last inspection named most of them and really fluffed the last one, like in an exam, but got there in the end :laughing:

Hebs
25-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Ofsted were fine about my online courses :thumbsup:

jaja
25-07-2010, 11:55 AM
this thread has just jogged my memory and i carnt find my copy of "Are you being abused":eek: :eek: and am due my inspection, carnt remember where i got it from either, where did you get yours from?

xxx

green puppy
25-07-2010, 04:37 PM
this thread has just jogged my memory and i carnt find my copy of "Are you being abused":eek: :eek: and am due my inspection, carnt remember where i got it from either, where did you get yours from?

xxx

DCSF Publications, 0845 60 222 60. You can probably order it on line aswell from the website.